• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

All these guys that want Votto as a mentor I can see that but if we are to hire a guy to be a mentor  why wouldnt they just approch him and say would you come be our fundamentals coach or make up whatever name you want and hire him that way. Then you dont have to clog up a 40 man spot on a guy way past his prime and get the same major function you want from him ?

56 minutes ago, Chitown27Fan said:

All these guys that want Votto as a mentor I can see that but if we are to hire a guy to be a mentor  why wouldnt they just approch him and say would you come be our fundamentals coach or make up whatever name you want and hire him that way. Then you dont have to clog up a 40 man spot on a guy way past his prime and get the same major function you want from him ?

Maybe if you were a (formerly) elite athlete with a HOF career and you were receiving zero interest, you'd consider this, but Votto apparently doesn't feel his career is over yet. Whether that's denial....

Flip side, if you're the Angels FO and you privately do not think there's a real threat to compete, but have the opportunity to bring in someone of Votto's rep on-field and off to help guide some youngsters for a few months, get a few hairbrained casual fans excited into watching, buying jerseys, thinking the Angels' had a renewed chance, and maybe generate a little karmic goodwill/positive culture boost after years of bad PR and losing a baseball demigod all for the cost of a mil or two and one 40-man...

I come back to what I said earlier....if you truly believe the Angels are intending to seriously compete in 2024, or at least that that's what they're trying to do, Votto doesn't make any sense at all. If you believe there's a non-public facing admission that this is a development/rebuild year, Votto for 1/$5M or whatever is fine. Not good. Not impact. Just fine. Paying a good baseball guy to have one last hurrah and hopefully trickle down some lessons and values to a room full of kids in a clubhouse that badly needs a boost. He probably doesn't make it to summer.

Also, not saying it will happen here, but we all thought Albert was cooked and he rebounded when used correctly. If Votto signed here, I would assume Perry and Ron have some idea of a way to maximize his value on-field. Maybe he'd be a little better away from Cincy and utilized differently.

I have no idea why we are talking about Joey Votto.  If he has no job come spring training and he wants to show the Angels in ST that he has something left, then whatever.  But this isn’t a player I would be even talking to in January.

49 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'm not advocating for Votto, but he has had stretches of success. Over the last 3 years he's been clearly a better player then Rendon. 

I'd still prefer J Turner. 

Lol, I'll give you 2021 but he was absolutely not "clearly a better player than Rendon" in either of the last 2 seasons.  I get you don't like the guy but come on

5 hours ago, greginpsca said:

E

Should be NO pay. 

There’s a reason these guys are paid. You don’t value it but you don’t have to because the people paid to make these decisions see the value 

5 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Screenshot_20240125-143910.png

LOL, post the individual season breakdown if you actually want to attempt to disprove what I said.  Except of course then that would prove your whole premise is bullshit, which is why you didn't do it here

7 minutes ago, mmc said:

LOL, post the individual season breakdown if you actually want to attempt to disprove what I said.  Except of course then that would prove your whole premise is bullshit, which is why you didn't do it here

My premise was for those 3 seasons Votto was a better player. 

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

My premise was for those 3 seasons Votto was a better player. 

Let's look at the 3-year averages for both players. Keep in mind Votto had an amazing 2021 campaign so that skews things a bit in his favor. 

Joey Votto: .233/.345/.472 averaging 20 HR a season.

Anthony Rendon: .237./340/.362 averaging 4 HR a season.

Just now, Chuck said:

Let's look at the 3-year averages for both players. Keep in mind Votto had an amazing 2021 campaign so that skews things a bit in his favor. 

Joey Votto: .233/.345/.472 averaging 20 HR a season.

Anthony Rendon: .237./340/.362 averaging 4 HR a season.

On top of that factor in their salaries.