• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Brooks Robinson passes away

mmc

He was a tremendous fielder and a good clutch hitter. And a respected leader. Those Oriole teams of the mid sixties - seventies were models of cutting edge team building for that era. 

Superlative starting pitching, great defense, ample power and enough speed. With a bullpen that had rather anonymous players like Watt and Drabowsky do their jobs year after year.   Managed masterfully by Earl Weaver, who knew how to motivate and get the most from his players. 

Their early phase saw the two Robinson's, Boog Powell, Belanger and Johnson sucking up everything in the infield.  Baylor, Blair, Buford. And a young Grich. Palmer and McNally as good a one - two pair as there was for years. And supplemented by various solid supporting staff. Plus good bench depth. 

Their 1969 loss to the Mets is still baffling. But shows what can happen in a short series. Without that loss they would have even higher historic status. 

ah man, even though we knew it was coming, it's not the kind of news you want to hear.

he defined great fielding. his work at third over his career set a high bar. but his work in the '70 WS against the Reds just leaped over that already high standard.

thanks for being so amazing, Brooks. you inspired me.

For a guy who was such a slow runner, he covered so much ground. He played the bunt better than anyone. When i was in little league, pony, and babe ruth back in the early- mid 60's,  i played 3rd base. I watched him as much as i could, to learn as much as i could. He was the best.

On 9/26/2023 at 4:04 PM, greginpsca said:

For a guy who was such a slow runner, he covered so much ground. He played the bunt better than anyone. When i was in little league, pony, and babe ruth back in the early- mid 60's,  i played 3rd base. I watched him as much as i could, to learn as much as i could. He was the best.

No question. He had tremendously quick reflexes, explosive first step, soft hands, and a cannon for an arm.