• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Trial in wrongful death suit against Angels in Tyler Skaggs case is postponed

AngelsWin.com

The wrongful death lawsuit filed against the Angels by the family of Tyler Skaggs has been postponed indefinitely.

The trial had been scheduled to begin on Oct 2, but it was pushed back because the two sides continue to have disagreements over what information they need to turn over prior to the trial.

The Angels pitcher died after ingesting a mix of opioids, including fentanyl, while he was on a trip to Texas in 2019. Longtime Angels media relations staffer Eric Kay was convicted in federal court of supplying the drugs that killed Skaggs. Kay is currently serving a 22-year sentence in federal prison.

Skaggs’ widow and parents filed a civil suit against the Angels, claiming the team knew – or should have known – enough about Skaggs’ drug use to prevent his death.

The Angels have denied anyone in management had any knowledge of his drug use. During Kay’s criminal trial, several former Angels players testified that they were aware that Skaggs had been using opioids.

View the full article

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

That’s silly. One drug addict got drugs for another drug addict. 

You're wrong. Kay was a drug dealer. A dealer can be an addict but he spreads it around. Look up the Opium Wars. That's what's happening in this country now. How did China get rid of its massive problem of drug dealers and addicts? They killed them. That might be the only way.

3 hours ago, Chico said:

You're wrong. Kay was a drug dealer. A dealer can be an addict but he spreads it around. Look up the Opium Wars. That's what's happening in this country now. How did China get rid of its massive problem of drug dealers and addicts? They killed them. That might be the only way.

Kay was a drug addict that had connections and a more obvious choice between the two to acquire the drugs. 

8 hours ago, Chico said:

The drug dealers were the British. How exactly did the Chinese deal with that? I presume that other than this factoid that apparently impressed you, you know almost nothing about all this.  Also, at a national scale.  The Qing dealt with almost everything disastrously.  This favorite fact of yours included in that. 

• 8 months later...
28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are in rage form so you are looking for another reason to be pissed. 

The correct answer is that I’m looking for another reason to get rid of Arte.

If something bad comes out about the Angels in this, maybe Arte is incentivized to wash his hands and sell the team.

But it’s still a legitimate question to wonder about a big lawsuit against the team.

31 minutes ago, BTH said:

The correct answer is that I’m looking for another reason to get rid of Arte.

If something bad comes out about the Angels in this, maybe Arte is incentivized to wash his hands and sell the team.

But it’s still a legitimate question to wonder about a big lawsuit against the team.

So I was right. Thanks. Only Arte is getting rid of Arte. One drug addict gave drugs to another drug addict. It happens every day in all walks of life. 

I'm all for Arte going away but...  Do you think an ownership change was going to keep Trout/Rendon from getting hurt?

That's the biggest problem this team has going right now.  The Ichiro version of Rendon was a world better than any of the options behind him, and Trout is Trout.  I'm genuinely thankful they got hurt early so it lessens the possibility that Arte pushes for another "go for it" trade.  You guys all punted on him in April but Griffin Canning has three different teams tracking his performance, so hopefully he has his usual May/June run.

This season is shot.  Best we can hope for is is guys create value for a sell off and that the young guys continue to show signs of life or improvement.  

Also, I'm sure the injuries are a big factor but the defense has been the biggest eyesore on the team IMO.  It's dragging everything down.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm all for Arte going away but...  Do you think an ownership change was going to keep Trout/Rendon from getting hurt?

Of course not.

But an ownership change might’ve helped foster an org where they aren’t totally relying on Trout/Rendon to be healthy.

If the Angels were operating at their max potential, their drafting/scouting/player dev would enable them to not be reliant on Trout/Rendon and they’d be spending enough money to where they could still add quality players in free agency around the ~80M that Trout/Rendon take up.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Also, I'm sure the injuries are a big factor but the defense has been the biggest eyesore on the team IMO.  It's dragging everything down.

And that’s really disappointing since I thought it’d be one of the easiest things to clean up, especially with Wash’s rep for infield defense.

39 minutes ago, BTH said:

Of course not.

But an ownership change might’ve helped foster an org where they aren’t totally relying on Trout/Rendon to be healthy.

If the Angels were operating at their max potential, their drafting/scouting/player dev would enable them to not be reliant on Trout/Rendon and they’d be spending enough money to where they could still add quality players in free agency around the ~80M that Trout/Rendon take up.

Fwiw, I wasn't singling anyone out when I posted.  It was more a case of me asking the question in general, so if it seemed I was directing at you or anyone else thinks that, it wasn't my intent.  It was poorly written by me.

I agree an ownership change could help in those areas, but reality is those kinds of bottom up improvements are years away.  FA was the best way to address the issues the team was facing this off season and I think we can all agree they weren't going to be fix it all with what was available.

Hitting rock bottom while painful may be exactly what is needed.  

21 minutes ago, BTH said:

Yeah.

It sucks, but it’s not like a 73 win season is that much more entertaining than a 63 win season.

The 73 win season was entertaining up to the trade deadline.   I'll take that over the being out of the race by May 1.