• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Demote Estevez, promote Soriano

I think a lot of fans would agree Estevez is not a lights-out closer. I’m not simply proposing this thought over 2 blown saves. His command is shaky outing to outing with that gorilla looking delivery. His mechanics look bad. Colorado didn’t want him closing. He fell into the closer role with this team when Quijada went down. Maybe Q wasn’t the guy either. Estevez had a nice run and we got the most out of him.

This bullpen changed more than we’ve seen a bullpen change in 100 games. But Estevez has kept the closer role through it all because of a perfect saves ratio, ignoring everything else. Why? It’s caught up to him and suddenly he’s a mediocre 23/25.

I think it’s not only better for the remainder of this season, whatever it means, but also going forward into 2024 to develop a new closer. 

Soriano could be an option. He’s got nasty stuff. His command is better. He’s tougher to homer off of. Just get it done.

23 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

I think a lot of fans would agree Estevez is not a lights-out closer. I’m not simply proposing this thought over 2 blown saves. His command is shaky outing to outing with that gorilla looking delivery. His mechanics look bad. Colorado didn’t want him closing. He fell into the closer role with this team when Quijada went down. Maybe Q wasn’t the guy either. Estevez had a nice run and we got the most out of him.

This bullpen changed more than we’ve seen a bullpen change in 100 games. But Estevez has kept the closer role through it all because of a perfect saves ratio, ignoring everything else. Why? It’s caught up to him and suddenly he’s a mediocre 23/25.

I think it’s not only better for the remainder of this season, whatever it means, but also going forward into 2024 to develop a new closer. 

Soriano could be an option. He’s got nasty stuff. His command is better. He’s tougher to homer off of. Just get it done.

Why not Matt Moore?

6 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Why not Matt Moore?

Because he’s not under contract with us going into 2024. And I’d vote for not re-signing him, because he’s having such a good year that he will get overpaid this winter. Giving relievers multiyear deals is not smart IMO. Too often relievers produce really volatile results year to year so let another team give him a big contract. We have a lot of young power arms coming up too in Bachman, Joyce, 2021 draft.

2 hours ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Because he’s not under contract with us going into 2024. And I’d vote for not re-signing him, because he’s having such a good year that he will get overpaid this winter. Giving relievers multiyear deals is not smart IMO. Too often relievers produce really volatile results year to year so let another team give him a big contract. We have a lot of young power arms coming up too in Bachman, Joyce, 2021 draft.

Except those power arms can’t stay healthy, partly thanks to the crack(ed) medical and conditioning staffs.

53 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except those power arms can’t stay healthy, partly thanks to the crack(ed) medical and conditioning staffs.

That’s really besides the point, though. Moore was just injured as well. It’s been a freak season with regard to injuries. You don’t go into a season assuming specific players will get injured, and base their roles off of that. (Unless we’re talking about Rendon lol) I don’t think Bachman and Joyce getting injured in their debuts means they will be constantly injured players. 

I should’ve titled the topic “How about a homegrown closer?”

When’s the last time this team had a homegrown closer they weren’t paying huge money? K-Rod?

Remember how Huston Street was a huge waste? Same with Iglesias? Shit look at the Mets, they hand Edwin Diaz 20 mil a year for a guy you expect to throw 60-70 innings and he gets injured in like the first week of the season. What a waste.

I’d like to see this team start developing a closer going into 2024 before they’re tempted to throw big money at one this winter. That rarely works out. I think Soriano has closer stuff/mentality.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Lol! It doesn’t matter anymore. It’s way past over. The team has quit. 

Nice reading comprehension! The premise of this topic is discussing who will close games next year. Unless you just want to run out Estevez in the 9th again next year because he’s “The Closer” and we shouldn’t hurt his feelings.

If I’m being honest I’m blaming this 7 game losing streak almost entirely on Estevez because that grand slam he gave up to Cade NOBODY probably fucking pissed this entire team off and then of course doing it again last night. So now is a better time than ever to just demote him to a 7th inning guy.

2 hours ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Nice reading comprehension! The premise of this topic is discussing who will close games next year. Unless you just want to run out Estevez in the 9th again next year because he’s “The Closer” and we shouldn’t hurt his feelings.

If I’m being honest I’m blaming this 7 game losing streak almost entirely on Estevez because that grand slam he gave up to Cade NOBODY probably fucking pissed this entire team off and then of course doing it again last night. So now is a better time than ever to just demote him to a 7th inning guy.

There is no issue with mixing things up to see what they got. It is apparent that Estevez can't handle the pressure so yeah, demote him and see what Soriano can do. 

5 hours ago, VladdyforHOF said:

That’s really besides the point, though. Moore was just injured as well. It’s been a freak season with regard to injuries. You don’t go into a season assuming specific players will get injured, and base their roles off of that. (Unless we’re talking about Rendon lol) I don’t think Bachman and Joyce getting injured in their debuts means they will be constantly injured players. 

I should’ve titled the topic “How about a homegrown closer?”

When’s the last time this team had a homegrown closer they weren’t paying huge money? K-Rod?

Remember how Huston Street was a huge waste? Same with Iglesias? Shit look at the Mets, they hand Edwin Diaz 20 mil a year for a guy you expect to throw 60-70 innings and he gets injured in like the first week of the season. What a waste.

I’d like to see this team start developing a closer going into 2024 before they’re tempted to throw big money at one this winter. That rarely works out. I think Soriano has closer stuff/mentality.

I agree, but curious as to the last season where they were average to less than average in MLB in injuries.

Seems to happen (above average) every season now.

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

This dude is choking when they need him the most so that is what is most important. 

And was bound to crack as even in the good times his WHIP wasn’t great.

Far too many BBs (5.4 per 9 innings) for a closer, after averaging 3.3 per 9 innings in his career 

Why suddenly wild this season????

Edited by Angel Oracle

6 hours ago, Jason said:

There is no issue with mixing things up to see what they got. It is apparent that Estevez can't handle the pressure so yeah, demote him and see what Soriano can do. 

He’s had a terrific season, seriously take a step back and look again.  Something changed with his body but he’s definitely got the balls to be closer,

53 minutes ago, Revad said:

He’s had a terrific season, seriously take a step back and look again.  Something changed with his body but he’s definitely got the balls to be closer,

Ok but he has just blown two big games that have had serious implications for their season. Yes, he's been solid for 95% of the season but that is not the case right now. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Ok but he has just blown two big games that have had serious implications for their season. Yes, he's been solid for 95% of the season but that is not the case right now. 

What’s his save percentage?  He’s closed out a lot of important games.