• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

If Logan O'Hoppe misses significant time should the Angels promote Edgar Quero?

Chuck

Should the #Angels unfortunately lose Logan O'Hoppe for an extended period of time on the IL, one wonders if the Angels will promote Edgar Quero who has picked up right where he left off last season slashing .364/.512/.545 in Double-A. Defensively he hasn't committed an error or passed ball across 9 games behind the dish. He's caught 2-out-5 base stealers as well. More importantly he's worked extremely well with the Rocket City Trash Pandas pitching staff, especially their starters. Full Interview with Edgar Quero:

2 minutes ago, James said:

How are we messing up the first? 

Well, I guess I see the shoulder as something that needs to be addressed and I’m questioning his being allowed to play so much under the conditions.  Maybe he plays through it for a year but it could impact his career, truth is my faith in the Angels medical staff is impacted by the past, as others have pointed out.

Quero has played 9 professional games above A ball.  There is no way he should be called up.  Of all the positions that you should take your time with in terms of player development and staying in the minors, catcher is probably #1.

Quero's bat looks great, but most of the value of a catcher comes from his defense, and his reportedly needs considerable amounts of work.

“Catcher is the toughest position to break into the big leagues at, especially on a team that is expected to win,” Angels general manager Perry Minasian said. “There’s so much decision-making, you have to be dependable, reliable, limit mistakes and learn from them. You have to develop the trust of your pitchers. For me, it’s the most important position on a club.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2023-04-03/angels-logan-ohoppe-rookie-catcher

That quote tells you what Perry thinks about catchers. There's no chance Perry trusts a 20-year old to handle a MLB pitching staff.

Neither option would be ideal for the major-league team. The wild card is 20-year-old Edgar Quero. He was probably considered years away from being ready. But with the Angels in a difficult situation, Minasian didn’t rule out him getting a shot later if it became needed. He has a 1.038 OPS in Double A.

“I would consider everybody, yeah,” Minasian said when asked about Quero. “If they’re in the organization, we’ll take a look and we’ll consider what our best options are.”