• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB Pipeline minor league system rankings: Angels 28th

https://www.mlb.com/news/farm-system-rankings-2023-preseason?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

28. Los Angeles Angels

2022 midseason rank: 30

2022 preseason rank: 28

2021 midseason rank: 24

2021 preseason rank: 25

Top 100 Prospects: Logan O’Hoppe, C (No. 53); Zach Neto, SS (No. 89)

Adding O’Hoppe at the Deadline and Neto in the Draft gives the Angels more top-of-the-list excitement than they’ve had in a while. There’s still a long way to go here, but there is some obvious pitching depth, courtesy of that all-pitching Draft in 2021. A good amount of those arms were pushed aggressively to the upper levels in 2022, with largely positive results.

I don't give much credibility to any of these so-called prospect rankers. Majority of them have east coast bias'. Funny how they rate the Yankees way too high every year, it seems. If their farm is so good, why do they have to sign so many free agents every year. They trade most of their prospects. And those guys they trade usually flop with their new team. They would be the last team i would ever want the Angel to trade with. If a team is regularly able to promote 2 of their guys a year to mlb, they are doing good. I made a prediction awhile back that 3 of the 4 Angels minor league teams would be in the playoffs in 2023. Even if i am right, those fools that do the rankings will still put the Angels down near the bottom of the heap.

Next year we need a starting outfielder and 4th outfielder, someone to back up 3rd and 1st that can hit, and a couple high leverage relievers.  Can those slots be filled from the farm?  

If Ohtani leaves we’d need an ace and that starting outfielder needs to be a legit middle of the order bat, can’t expect those needs to be filled from the minors.

On 3/23/2023 at 8:58 PM, ScottT said:

Ward and Rengifo weren't rated very high but they sure are capable of contributing.  Sandoval, too.  Detmers nay have been underrated.  They are producing more major league talent than they used to 

^

The problem with the farm is that we have so few legit position player prospects. The pitching seems fine, but after O’Hoppe and Neto, there is nobody who has (1) had sustained success at an upper level and (2) is still young enough to be a legit prospect. 

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

The pitching seems fine, but after O’Hoppe and Neto, there is nobody who has (1) had sustained success at an upper level and (2) is still young enough to be a legit prospect. 

I agree there is a position player depth issue, but I view it differently.

The Angels had been the youngest MiLB system in baseball for three years.  Some of the guys people have punted on were among the youngest players in their leagues and as such struggled, particularly after the Covid layoffs. The AA team had 5 of the 23 youngest hitters in the league .. 6 of 24, if you count Paris.  That list includes guys like Maitan and Adams who have been around forever.

Considering that the upper levels has essentially become just AA -- it's no real surprise to see nobody has had sustained success, particularly when you consider a guy like Paris who was among the youngest players in High A was promoted to AA at mid-season.  The issue position player wise is that there aren't layers of prospects coming.  A situation made worse after the pitching focused drafts of 21 and 22. MI is maybe the only area where there are multiple guys who project well and we are already seeing several of them start to transition to corner spots and the OF.

I refuse to buy in until he does it in-season but if Adams can carry what he's done in ST (his opponent quality has graded out to AA), in full season minor league ball then you may see people jump back on his bandwagon. The defense and speed already plays at the MLB level.

It's almost unfair how the Dodgers can have one of the highest payrolls year after year and a top 3 farm system. That ORG is so incredibly smart. Then again, they only have 1 WS title in the last 35 years to show for it so there's that. I am not sure at what point they became so smart. 10 years ago? In that case, 1 WS title in the last 10 years is decent. Of course, it should have been 2 which would have made them more successful. Even if MLB pipeline is not the most accurate, it's not like they are way off. I looked at 5 different rankings and the Angels were 25th and higher on all of them. Arte has hired terrible scouts. I can't stand him. 

I always sort of doubt how much difference there is between any of the orgs that land in the bottom 3rd of these.  Probably not tremendous difference.  The lack of good position player depth is disappointing, but it’s the angels and they’re perennially disappointing all around.  Who gives a shit. 

at this point if you’re still hanging around then none of this matters.  You’re probably along for the ride no matter what.  Which is pretty dumb and a waste of time but also pretty cool.  It’s fine.   

I think you can also argue that the top 5 in our system can compete with any once's  top 5 in the 10-20 range. I do think Silseth is getting undervalued in a way, he has the upside of a solid 2/3 and the Risk is a late inning arm. Which fits the mold of many of the high risk/award pitchers in the top 100. Big knock has been is size and inability to maintain is stuff late in game. Another guy in Bachman, he heatlhy, with a 95-100 mph fb and don't forget that Plus-plus slider and improving change, if he can stay healthy, he easily is a top 2/3 prospect in the system, and top 50 prospect in the game. After that It's kinda of a drop, but there is still talent, really deep pitching talent, You have Erla,Crow, Landon, Dana, Maddon. Position players there is a lack, but guys like Blakely, and many of the other young guys need a single breakout year and bam it does wonders for the team.