• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

And he's 5'10 a buck sixty.  It's not like he's ever going to be a power guy. 

and it's not like he'll remain a buck sixty either. 

I too was a 160 lbs when I was his age. 5 years later after hitting the gym at the age of 19 I was 205 lbs at 5'10.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I have a feeling the Angels are gonna make some roster move today.

Likely adding either Walsh or Cabbage to the major league roster.

I know they said Walsh wanted to play back-to-back games at 1B yesterday and today, but I’m not gonna be surprised if he’s in the Angels lineup tonight.

They could option Ward, but I think they’d DFA Phillips and platoon Moniak/Ward since Moniak has looked good and Ward has struggled.

Ward is out of optio s.

Weight is the wrong argument with power development. Look at Mookie, Altuve, Luisangel Acuna, Neto. They are the exception, not the role, but those exceptions are becoming more frequent it seems. Homeruns need not be 500 feet. They count the same when they're 390 feet. 

Also, I don't think Perry is messing around. I think he'll promote and demote anyone in and everyone of it helps the team. He proved that with David Fletcher. If he thinks Moniak or Adell can be better that Ward, he'll make that change. 

And similarly with the bullpen. I think Kacares, Joyce, Yovan, Erla, Silseth.... They'll all be considered for bullpen duty because right now, the Angels bullpen sucks. 

On 5/1/2023 at 8:06 PM, Inside Pitch said:

I don't see either guy as being vital, I just don't see this massive divide you seem to when looking at them and I'm unwilling to ignore Barria's tendency to induce weak contact despite his propensity to give up HRs because Tucker Davidson hasn't been shit for a month of his career.

Its been almost three weeks since this -- the wheels have pretty much come off the Davidson wagon if you look at the numbers -- but just to hammer home how much better Barria has been..  Consider this..

Since his first appearance of the season where he got tagged for 4 runs, Barria has put up the following numbers -- 19.1 IP, 11 H, 1 ER, 6 BB, 16 K -- 0.47 ERA, 2.73 FIP with a .141/.240.191 allowed.

Since Davidson's first appearance of the season where he went 4 IP, 0 ER and before tonight's game he had put up these numbers  -- 15.1 IP, 20 H, 13 ER, 6 BB, 18 K, 7.63 ERA and a .319/.324/.429 averages allowed.

Those numbers paint the story of two pitchers going in completely different directions, but Davidson's FIP was sitting at 2.52.   So how does something like that happen?

Barria BaBIP - .212 Davidson .444.

Quality of contact matters and Barria is putting up elite hard hit (97th percentile), and average exit velo (96th percentile), but Davidson has been one really unlucky Mofo... 

Baseball is a trip.

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Its been almost three weeks since this -- the wheels have pretty much come off the Davidson wagon if you look at the numbers -- but just to hammer home how much better Barria has been..  Consider this..

Yeah, I was wrong there.

Barría, outside of him being put in a spot he shouldn’t be in vs. OAK, has been very solid since that SEA game.

Interestingly, Davidson’s velocity has declined while Barría’s has increased. Part of my knock on Barría was that he was throwing 92 mph, but now Davidson’s the one throwing 92 mph.

I still think it’s tough to have two long relievers on a roster. Either Barría needs to prove he can be a leverage option or they’ll need to move on from Davidson.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, I was wrong there.

Barría, outside of him being put in a spot he shouldn’t be in vs. OAK, has been very solid since that SEA game.

Interestingly, Davidson’s velocity has declined while Barría’s has increased. Part of my knock on Barría was that he was throwing 92 mph, but now Davidson’s the one throwing 92 mph.

I still think it’s tough to have two long relievers on a roster. Either Barría needs to prove he can be a leverage option or they’ll need to move on from Davidson.

Barria has been a gym rat the last two off-seasons, it's good to see it possibly be paying off with some extra velo..  

I wasn't so much posting this to dunk on Davidson or anyone who was siding with him over Barria so much as to point out how the traditional stats can make it seem like a guy is tanking when in some cases its just random crappy luck.  Davidson's averages allowed are awful but his batted ball data while not being at the elite levels Barria's have been, are still pretty well above average.  So, when you see such a massive disparity in a stat like BABip, you have to wonder if the defense hasn't been just as big a part of his struggles as anything he's done on his own.

As far as Barria .vs Davidson goes -- I think its pretty clear Barria has the better, more established track record of success.  

Regardless of how it turns out -- having two guys with no options both working as long men/swing types was a less than ideal situation -- pretty sure everyone agreed on that.

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Regardless of how it turns out -- having two guys with no options both working as long men/swing types was a less than ideal situation -- pretty sure everyone agreed on that.

Eventually they’ll need to evolve away from that.

I’m not sure if them using Davidson in a leverage spot last night was them trying to move away from that or if it was just out of necessity.

Edited by Trendon

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Barria has been a gym rat the last two off-seasons, it's good to see it possibly be paying off with some extra velo..  

I wasn't so much posting this to dunk on Davidson or anyone who was siding with him over Barria so much as to point out how the traditional stats can make it seem like a guy is tanking when in some cases its just random crappy luck.  Davidson's averages allowed are awful but his batted ball data while not being at the elite levels Barria's have been, are still pretty well above average.  So, when you see such a massive disparity in a stat like BABip, you have to wonder if the defense hasn't been just as big a part of his struggles as anything he's done on his own.

As far as Barria .vs Davidson goes -- I think its pretty clear Barria has the better, more established track record of success.  

Yeah, that's the part with Barria that confounds me. It's pretty clear, the 5th Ave 6th starter spots in the rotation aren't secure, why not let him take his shot at stabilizing one of those? And if not, the bullpen in the 6th and 7th innings has been very inconsistent, why not let him take his shot in that role? And if not either of those, then why bother keeping Davidson around? 

The Angels handling of Barria had been crap, and despite that, Barria had found success in pretty much any role they've put him in. They really could and should utilize him better. I'm not saying he's going to be great in any regard, but he has earned the opportunity. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Yeah, that's the part with Barria that confounds me. It's pretty clear, the 5th Ave 6th starter spots in the rotation aren't secure, why not let him take his shot at stabilizing one of those? And if not, the bullpen in the 6th and 7th innings has been very inconsistent, why not let him take his shot in that role? And if not either of those, then why bother keeping Davidson around? 

The Angels handling of Barria had been crap, and despite that, Barria had found success in pretty much any role they've put him in. They really could and should utilize him better. I'm not saying he's going to be great in any regard, but he has earned the opportunity. 

Isn’t the fact that he is performing an indication that they are utilizing him well?  

I think you have to what's best for the team in the moment. In this moment, we know the Angels need sixth and seventh inning help and Silseth fixes that, we think. And Barria has done as much as he can to proove he can handle pitching more than once through the order. 

Davidson is likely gone once Suarez is ready. And Suarez, I believe, could be a consistently good reliever. As a starter, I don't see it over long stretches. 

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's been that away almost the entire career.

Just watched Jack K pitch an absolute gem.  CG.  That's right, all nine innings.  Gave up one hard hit ball and it was a solo shot to CF with two outs in the ninth and two strikes on the batter.  The reason they left him in?   86 pitches.  For the whole game.  13 ground ball outs and 5 k's.  4 hits total and the three others were ground balls.  Had three counts of 3 balls.  Hit 98mph on the gun (seemed the gun was a bit fast though) several times and sat 95-97 most of the night otherwise.    

Just watched Jack K pitch an absolute gem.  CG.  That's right, all nine innings.  Gave up one hard hit ball and it was a solo shot to CF with two outs in the ninth and two strikes on the batter.  The reason they left him in?   86 pitches.  For the whole game.  13 ground ball outs and 5 k's.  4 hits total and the three others were ground balls.  Had three counts of 3 balls.  Hit 98mph on the gun (seemed the gun was a bit fast though) several times and sat 95-97 most of the night otherwise.    

Incredible what a good pitcher can do when he locates. 

He looked filthy.

It’s only been two starts in AA that I’ve seen, but IMO, he’s skyrocketing up Angels prospect rankings.

He has the stuff and performance.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

Incredible what a good pitcher can do when he locates. 

Oddly enough, his location wasn't all that spectacular.  They just couldn't square him up.  By and large, he couldn't spot the curve very well.  Got swings and misses on the ones he did.  

I might not be able to convey this the right way and some who've seen him may flat disagree, but even as effective as he was tonight, he still looks like a guy trying to figure it out.  He didn't elevate the fastball to the mitt when asked.  He didn't really locate his curve all that well.  He didn't really hit the target all that often.  There was a third and maybe a fourth pitch in there a few times.  I think it was a slider and maybe a change up.  Neither added much.  He kept the ball down, threw a ton of strikes, and hit 98 on the gun.  

And don't mistake my comments.  They are absolutely complementary.   But he's still a thrower more than a pitcher.  Which is pretty damn scary.  It was just really good control and very little command.