• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most you would give up to dump Upton’s entire contract?

mmc

4 minutes ago, mmc said:

If the Angels were looking to dump Upton’s contract to use all of his salary to improve other areas of the roster for next season, what’s the most you would give up to get a team to take him?

The problem is that there is nobody left on whom to spend the money. Hypothetically if you could then acquire Manea and a shortstop with the money saved, I’d probably part with a guy in the 6-8 range (like Jeremiah Jackson). 

I don’t understand the question. Why would they dump it to improve next season? If they would dump him, it should have been when more FA were available for this season. He’s off the books next year already.

Honestly I’d rather trade him at the deadline  for someone needing a bat if they aren’t in the hunt. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I don’t understand the question. Why would they dump it to improve next season? If they would dump him, it should have been when more FA were available for this season. He’s off the books next year already.

Honestly I’d rather trade him at the deadline  for someone needing a bat if they aren’t in the hunt. 

When I say next season I mean 2022

There is no realistic scenario where they could attach a player good enough for a team to take on the rest of what Upton is owed this season. He's been a sunk cost for the past 3 years now. Like with Pujols last season, I'd expect to see Upton get DFA at some point during the year....though how quickly it happens will depend on how well Marsh/Adell/Ward are producing I'd imagine. Walsh having his breakout last season helped force their hand with Pujols

16 minutes ago, mmc said:

When I say next season I mean 2022

Then i don't think it happens now. There's nobody left to use the money on for this season. At this point, the only way they get rid of him is taking on a longer worse contract or DFA. Like i said previously, i think maybe they can trade him at the deadline if they are out of it if they ate the salary for a mid tier prospect. They would essentially buy a prospect from another team with his remaining deal.

Can’t do Price for Upton straight up.

With Red Sux paying half of Price’s $32 million, Upton would be an extra $12 million added to Dogs payroll.

Best to let him play about 2/3 of the games between LF/DH/1B, and hope he can at least somewhat approach his 2017-18 numbers.

Edited by Angel Oracle

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The timing on this thread is stupid. If this was back in October the answer is a lot.  Today it’s nothing. 

In October I didn't think this was necessary to be able to build a team good enough to seriously compete.  Now I think it is

The problem is the supply is too low. You’d have to give away a high level prospect and there’s essentially nothing left to use that money on. Let’s say they do trade a prospect and uptons whole contract. Who are you giving 28m to on the market? 

only 2 options I see as of today:

A. Take on another bad contract to lessen the prospect capital

b. Use high level prospect in order to create cap space for mid season trade. 

15 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I haven’t yet given up that Upton can be productive in 2022.

Me either.  Maybe he’s healthy and has a good year and if he does poorly the at bats go to Marsh.  Upton’s defense is a concern.  How does Upton’s defense compare to Adell’s defense?

16 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Our outfield depth is atrocious.

Yeah, I'd rather keep Upton until we see what Adell and Marsh can do this season. Because if those two struggle, our outfield gets real thin, real fast. 

Upton isn't going to save the day, but he has still put up a few hot streaks in these last few sub-par years, so he at least presents the opportunity of a .900 OPS 30-game streak here or there still, which might be just enough to keep things afloat if Marsh and Adell struggle in a sub .700-OPS way.

6 hours ago, mmc said:

In October I didn't think this was necessary to be able to build a team good enough to seriously compete.  Now I think it is

How? So they can sign Conforto?  There’s no one left.  There isn’t really a high priced pitcher or SS left to trade for.  

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Personally I don’t know if Trout, Adell, Marsh, Upton and Ward is atrocious outfield depth.  I guess other teams could have six or seven guys, I guess. 

It’s good depth if everybody is healthy…..