• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jose Marte, who was acquired in the Tony Watson deal, is being called up. Slegers optioned to Triple-A

rafibomb

Wonder who's going down. Seems like Warren has been used a lot lately, but that's also reason to think he's sticking. 

Wantz hasn't thrown in almost a week since being sent down and has looked down too - 4.2 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, seems like he may due for another call-up sometime.

Starting to get a decent little group of up-and-down relievers with options at AAA.

Edited by totdprods

Just now, Hells Rainbow said:

Will we see the end of Bundy, Quintana or Guerra?  Is Slegers up?  

Guerra exhausts me. I hope so. Cut him and let the kids get those innings.

I can see Bundy and Quintana sticking around just in case any of the youngsters start to wear down or get hurt...they'll need someone to eat innings in those scenarios. And neither have been outwardly terrible for the last month or so. 

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Warren has earned his spot in the rotation. No possible way he goes down. 

He's also thrown near 70 pitches in the last 6 days...occasionally good arms get bumped down for a stint to bring up someone fresh. 

Not what I'm expecting but it wouldn't surprise me either if they hit 'pause' on him.

Selman seems an option for a DFA/demotion too.

Just now, Hells Rainbow said:

I agree with all of this.  I’m on team, “anyone who has to be protected this off season, gets called up for an audition”. I’m assuming Marte has to be protected.  

He does. 

Robinson Pina, Cooper Criswell, Oliver Ortega, Kyle Tyler, Jose Marte, Aaron Hernandez, Janson Junk, Denny Brady, Jhonathan Diaz, Connor Higgins, and Jose Salvador are also R5 eligible this winter. 

Jose Quijada, Aaron Slegers, Felix Pena, Gerardo Reyes, James Hoyt will be out of options next year.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He's also thrown near 70 pitches in the last 6 days...occasionally good arms get bumped down for a stint to bring up someone fresh. 

Not what I'm expecting but it wouldn't surprise me either if they hit 'pause' on him.

Selman seems an option for a DFA/demotion too.

Good point. 

I'd go with Guerra, Hoyt or Selman. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He does. 

Robinson Pina, Cooper Criswell, Oliver Ortega, Kyle Tyler, Jose Marte, Aaron Hernandez, Janson Junk, Denny Brady, Jhonathan Diaz, Connor Higgins, and Jose Salvador are also R5 eligible this winter. 

Jose Quijada, Aaron Slegers, Felix Pena, Gerardo Reyes, James Hoyt will be out of options next year.

Along with Barria and Suarez. 

16 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Might be too early to think this.... but...

Re-sign Iglesias and a bullpen core of Mayers, Warren, Marte, Iglesisas and *MAYBE* Bachman looks pretty good for 2022. 

Gonna need a lot more than that...

Warren, Wantz, Marte should be seen as a group that fills maybe one or two spots in the bullpen at this stage in their careers, not a full-season role. Too early still. That should be seen as three names for one spot, maybe two. Bachman as well, but his prospect status might give him a leg up and his own spot if production merits it. 

I'd build it like:

• Closer: hopefully Iglesias
  • Set-up 1: Need to try and lock in one more good high-lev arm, either by trade or FA. I guess Bachman could ascend here quickly.
  • Set-up 2: ???? Mayers??? shit.
  • Steady vet RP: FA/trade, though Mayers might fill this role if we can get another ahead of him.
  • LHRP: Quijada? Naughton? for now. Not a necessity either, could be lumped in to rotation of next role below. Could also short-term someone like Suarez or Rodriguez if there's another lefty in the pen.
  • Rotating live arms (1 or 2): Warren, Wantz, Marte, maybe Ortega, Higgins, Junk, Pina, Yan
  • Long-relief: a Noe/Guerra/Slegers-type. Not ideal, but could be Barria, Suarez, Bachman, or CRod depending on the complexion of the team - less of a mop-up, more of a tandem-SP/mult-inning RP role.

We have sooo many R5 eligible relievers coming up this winter, I'd hope they actually package one or two of them together for a more legitimate MLB arm, maybe someone with a couple years of control starting to go into arbitration for a frugal team like Miami, Baltimore, Pittsburgh...a team that'd happily trade off production now for more payroll/roster flexibility.

Edited by totdprods

• rafibomb changed the title to Jose Marte, who was acquired in the Tony Watson deal, is being called up. Slegers optioned to Triple-A
On 8/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Don’t sleep on Quintana for 2022 as a LHP pen option.

Has come around since going to the pen:  16.1 innings, 3.75 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 19/3 Ks/BBs.

Depends on if he doesn’t get offers to start in the off-season.

Please no.