• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Minor leaguers take aim at Angels for lack of off-the-field support

MINNEAPOLIS — Angels minor leaguers have fired public salvos at the organization, specifically owner Arte Moreno.

A day after a minor league advocacy group reported on the living conditions of players in the Angels’ system, ESPN.com published comments on Friday from two minor leaguers who were critical of their treatment from the organization.

The crux of their argument is that players have not been provided the resources to live or eat comfortably while earning minor league salaries. It’s been an issue for decades in minor league baseball, but it’s become more serious since the pandemic because players can no longer rely on host families to provide housing.

Kieran Lovegrove, a pitcher with the Angels’ Double-A team, said he is living with six other teammates in a three-bedroom apartment.

“It’s frustrating when you’re sitting in the ’pen and you’re hearing guys just harp about how bad the ownership is and how bad the organization is because you don’t want guys to be somewhere that they are unhappy,” Lovegrove said. “Is Moreno completely out of touch with the reality of what it’s like to be a player? Probably. I don’t see that really changing because I don’t know that he really does care about the quality of the organization so much as the amount of money it produces.”

Angels general manager Perry Minasian responded on behalf of the organization with a statement.

“What is being reported is unacceptable, and we will look into it and address it,” Minasian said.

The ESPN article also quoted Shane Kelso, who retired after spending part of the 2021 season with the Angels’ Class-A affiliate at Inland Empire.

Kelso said he was losing $1,000 a month playing minor league baseball and could not afford to finish out the season.

“People don’t understand the mental strain that comes along with that, that you don’t know how much money you’re going to have at the end of each month and not knowing how you’re going to make ends meet,” Kelso told ESPN. “I was a late-rounder. I didn’t sign for a lot of money. The vast majority of players are in my position.”

OHTANI, WALSH ARE OFF

Shohei Ohtani and Jared Walsh were both out of the Angels’ lineup on Friday night. Both have been slumping lately, and the Angels were facing a lefty, J.A. Happ, who has been tough on left-handed hitters.

Ohtani was 4 for 24 with 14 strikeouts since the All-Star break. Manager Joe Maddon was clear that he didn’t think the Home Run Derby had anything to do with his slump.

“I just thought that he was out of the zone chasing pitches, where if you remember before, he was very disciplined and accepted his walks,” Maddon said. “I see it more as getting his strike zone organized again. And then getting started on time. He didn’t ask for this day. This was my idea.

“I still want to be cognizant of rest for him. It’s going to be one of these next three days. He’s going to be pitching on Monday. It’s one of those things that made sense. And I don’t expect him to break Cal Ripken’s record either.”

Walsh had two hits in his previous 22 at-bats prior to Friday’s game.

SUPPORT FOR CUBA

José Iglesias and Raisel Iglesias, who are from Cuba, were joined by a handful of their teammates and Maddon in wearing T-shirts to show their support for the strife of the citizens in Cuba.

The current wave of protests is reportedly the largest since the revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power in 1959.

“People are suffering down there,” said José Iglesias, who said his entire family still lives in Cuba. “We just want to free people, a free Cuba, free speech. That’s what this movement is, to create awareness around the world and find a way to help the Cuban people that have been oppressed by this regime.”

NOTES

Mike Trout did not participate in workouts on the field prior to Friday’s game, but Maddon said he is continuing to make progress. The three-time AL MVP is expected to begin a rehab assignment soon, but the Angels have not given a more specific time frame. …

Jaime Barria joined the Angels on Friday, a strong indication that he will be the starting pitcher on Sunday. Maddon didn’t announce Barria as the starter, but said, with a chuckle, “there’s a possibility that may occur, yes.”

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Patrick Sandoval, 2-4, 3.86 ERA) at Twins (RHP José Berrios, 7-4, 3.69), Saturday, 4:10 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article