• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels 20-year-old prospect Jeremiah Jackson making a good impression in camp

TEMPE, Ariz. — Shortstop Jeremiah Jackson is one of the few players in Angels big league camp for no other reason than to soak up experience and be seen by the major league staff.

So far, that seems to be working out pretty well.

Jackson, who is still a couple weeks shy of his 21st birthday, has not even played a full season in the minor leagues. He had an impressive 2019, blasting  23 homers in 65 games of short-season baseball, but since then he has only played intrasquad games at the Angels’ alternate site and a few big league exhibitions this spring.

Manager Joe Maddon seems sufficiently impressed.

“Watching batting practice, wow,” Maddon aid. “One of the guys with a different sound off the bat.”

AP21062627040589.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ss
Angels shortstop Jeremiah Jackson is gaining experience this spring training. (Jennifer Stewart/MLB Photos via AP)

Maddon concedes that Jackson “has some swing and miss in him, a lot of young guys do, but when he makes contact, it’s pretty firm.”

Jackson, the Angels’ second-round pick in 2018, is ranked among their top prospects mostly because of his bat. The early scouting reports on him are that his offense is ahead of his defense, and he may not end up being a shortstop in the major leagues.

Jackson wants to prove that wrong.

“I’m always going to see myself as a shortstop, regardless of where they have me,” he said. “I believe that I can play shortstop. I’m always going to think that. I definitely have the glove for it, and I’m only getting better.”

He said he just needs some “fine tuning” and “cleaning up.”

Earlier this spring, Maddon said that Angels third base coach Brian Butterfield, who works with the infielders, has raved about Jackson’s work in practice.

Maddon also has become a big fan of the way Jackson has handled himself in big league camp, despite his lack of experience.

“I think he’s got great makeup, not good makeup,” Maddon said. “His work ethic is outstanding. He’s a big league player. There’s no question in my mind he’s a big league player. How far in the future, I don’t know. I’m not saying anything brilliant right now. A lot people feel the same way. He’s going to be pretty good.”

Jackson said he’s learned plenty from his time around major leaguers, including last summer in Long Beach.

“The alternate site was another really good experience for me, as far as just learning a little bit more about myself,” Jackson said. “I’ve seen a lot of the older guys and how they stay steady on their routine every time. To me that kind of separates big leaguers from guys who don’t make it.”

NEXT UP FOR OHTANI

A day after Shohei Ohtani threw 58 pitches in his second start of the spring, Maddon said Ohtani’s next start is scheduled for Mar. 21 against the Padres.

Ohtani had eight days rest between his first and second starts, and he’ll have seven days off between the second and third. Maddon has said the Angels plan to use him just like the other pitchers in the six-man rotation, so he would pitch on five or six days rest in the season.

Maddon did concede that Ohtani might not be quite as stretched out as the other starters, perhaps with one less inning or 15 pitches less than the others, when the season starts.

Overall, Maddon has been pleased with Ohtani’s performance on the mound and at the plate this spring, and he said he can see a difference in his demeanor from last year.

“There’s more of a lightness about him,” Maddon said. “He just is smiling, laughing more easily. His confidence is growing.”

NOTES

Jo Adell has a knee contusion after colliding with the wall trying to make a catch on Saturday. Maddon said Sunday morning that Adell was “sore” but head athletic trainer Adam Nevala “doesn’t think it’s anything awful.” Maddon said Adell would go through a light workout on Sunday and hopefully be “back to normal” on Monday. …

Reliever Aaron Slegers, who has been out with back spasms, is scheduled to pitch in a B game on Tuesday. Slegers is one of the leading candidates to open the season with a bullpen spot. …

Andrew Heaney threw 60 pitches in an intrasquad game on Saturday and came out of it without issue. Maddon said Heaney “was very good.”

View the full article

2 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Jackson vs. Paris is going to be an interesting thing to watch over the next few years. It's nice to have two good options at a position for once, knowing the better of the two could be the shortstop of the future. 

I agree. Man did I miss having a minor league season last year. 

The MILB campaign can't start soon enough. 

Swanson, under Eppler, drafted athletes first and foremost. Athletes on a baseball field tend to be shortstops and centerfielders.

So at shortstop, they have Iglesias, Fletcher, Barreto, Rengifo, and Mayfield in the big leagues and AAA. Below that, you're seeing Jackson, Paris, Vera, Bonilla and whomever else. Even if they make it to the Major Leagues, is still a matter of being able to stay at SS, which most can't. 

Iglesias is amazing in the field, Fletcher is good at SS, but can be all-world at 2B, Barreto is passable at SS for a few games but much better suited for 2B and 3B, and Rengifo is an average shortstop, but would be an above average 2B. Paris and Jackson appear to be in the Rengifo mold, they can play SS but are better suited at 2B. 

So as we see, there aren't many shortstops that belong starting there in the major leagues.

Though I admit, my own personal scouting report on Jackson suggests that he's a shortstop, and that runs in contrast to what we've read. His range is solid, great arm, good glove, enough athleticism. He won't be a gold glover there, but I think he'll be pretty good.

Edited by Second Base

There's lots of time before any of the pups are ready, and things tend to sort themselves out.

This year we've got Iglesias/Fletcher, with Barreto and Rengifo picking up the scraps.

Next year depends upon how Iglesias, Rengifo and Barreto perform. We know Fletcher will be somewhere, but if the young guys struggle, the Angels might offer Iglesias an extension or go after one of the big fish (hopefully not Baez, Story or Semien, preferably Lindor or Correa). If one or both of the young guys look good, they can either platoon or one start at SS or 2B and the other back-up. Fletcher/Rengifo/Barreto gives a nice cost-and-team controlled core for at least four years (2021-24), and the Angels can spend their money elsewhere (pitching, extending Ohtani, etc).

Sometime in 2023-24, Jackson, Paris, and Vera will be knocking at the door, followed by Blakely, Bonilla, Placencia, and Guzman. It is way too soon to speculate, but there are many possible configurations. Fletcher could be signed to a long-term contract or be testing free agency - but he's not due until the 2025 season when he'll be 31 years old. Same with Barreto but he'll be 29; Rengifo at age 29 as well but a year later. The point being, by then the Angels will know exactly what they have in Jackson, Paris, Vera, Blakely, Bonilla, Guzman, and Placencia and go forward accordingly. 

Alternately, if they sign one of the big fish next year, they've got a lot of trade chips over the next few years to augment the team in other ways. It is a good "problem" to have, regardless.

Better yet, they've got an even deeper field of young outfielders, or at least much closer to making an impact: Marsh and Adell in 2021 (at some point), Adams in 2022-23, Deveaux and Knowles in 2023-24, Ramirez and Calabrese in 2024-25. Not to mention Jose Reyes.

The depth and talent in the middle infield and outfield is truly promising.

Edited by Angelsjunky

15 hours ago, Second Base said:

Athletes on a baseball field tend to be shortstops and centerfielders.

Tangent here, but it always amuses me on international signing day when people remark “why are they signing so many shortstops???”

For the most part every amateur infielder (non 1B) who gets signed is a SS. I’d say you have to go all the way to high level D1 college baseball before anyone who has pro potential gets pushed over to 2B or 3B.