• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Griffin Canning ‘on the verge’ of breakthrough season, Joe Maddon says

AngelsWin.com

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

I was at that game.  It went into OT I believe.  I was only 9 but remember Lewis falling out of bounds and still hitting his shots.

Glen McDonald got hurt trying to guard him.  It cost Long Beach as they didnt have him against San Francisco in the playoffs 

And Glenn was possibly the best defensive wing in the country.  Huge loss, as USF was solid (Restani and Smith) but not as good as LB. 

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

If you guys want.  I didnt realize there were that many here that followed LB State during the early 70s.

Earliest recollection was year 3, the 1971 Western Regional Finals which was my HS freshman year.  

LB was up 11 in the second half.   Even Coach Wooden in one of his memoirs was thinking that it might be time to plan a trip with Nell, that’s how in control LB was.

Then Booker Turner happened.   Ratleff had what, ONE foul in the first half and not known for fouling a lot.   Sure enough, four fouls called on him in the second half including the ridiculous fifth foul call. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Earliest recollection was year 3, the 1971 Western Regional Finals.   LB was up 11 in the second half.   Even Coach Wooden in one of his memoirs was thinking that it mat be time to plan a trip with Nell, that’s how in control LB was.

Then Booker Turner happened.   Ratleff had what, ONE foul in the first half and not known for fouling a lot.   Sure enough, four fouls called on him in the second half including the ridiculous fifth foul call. 

Only time in Ratliff career that he could out of a game.

I actually grew up a huge fan of UCLA basketball.  They used to show the games on TV on a taped delay basis and I'd stay up and watch many of those games during those glory years as a kid. 

Going to Long Beach State changed my perspective a bit.  The Tark years are before my time, but I appreciate  how he put The Beach on the map.