• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC brewery/restaurant/things to do recommendations

My Sister, BIL and Niece are flying into LAX next Friday. We'll pick them up and take them to Disneyland, go to the LAA/NYY game, and just show them around the OC area since they have only been there once before. 

We won't have a lot of time to do much exploring, but I was thinking definitely take them to the beach areas, hit up some bars/breweries/restaurants, maybe do some hiking or go to a cool park or something similar. We're staying in Anaheim, so I suppose we're close to a lot of things.

Any recommendations on what to do or see? Quality places to eat/drink?  Interesting places to take the kids (ages 4 and 3)? They're from Boston, so I'd love to give them a good SoCal experience (doing SF/Sonoma the following weekend). Not really interested in malls or shopping areas/entertainment districts.

Much thanks!  And just to let you know, I probably wont be taking them to Fritz's.

I try to do this same trip every other year. We try to time it with the Yanks visit since my wife and younger daughter are Yankees fans. 

Last year we stayed in the Marriott Newport Coast Villas and loved it. We did all the usual suspects, Disneyland, Crystal Cove, etc...

One of the things my gang liked the best was the Warner Brothers VIP studio tour. It is a small, personalized tour. Only my 4 and one other couple. You tour the studios on a golf cart with a guide taking you to what you are interested in seeing. Spent a lot of time there and on the set of Big Bang Theory. Almost crashed into Russell Brand.

You might want to give Fritz another shot. I found it worth the trip.

If they like good beer you could take them to the Bootlegger's patio in Fullerton - they usually have some great food trucks show up as well

Lots of interesting hiking in the Anaheim Hills area, go to the ocparks website.

If you want to do a brewery, go to The Breuery in Fullerton/Placentia....if I remember correctly.

Thinking of the kids, I've never been but they have that Discovery Zone/ science center place in Santa Ana.

No fun atmosphere restaurants are coming to mind, just high end places which won't fit.

Thanks to you both for the brewery rec's, I'll definitely check those out. 

Thanks to you both for the brewery rec's, I'll definitely check those out. 

Bruery is for Sours and non IPA type of beers (I think they actually refuse to brew an IPA) and Bootlegger's is for IPA/hoppy beers. You can't go wrong with either one.

You really can't and I almost mentioned Bootleggers just so he can have the family try the Black Phoenix. They have it at my pub and no one likes it or understands it.....it's a chipotle and coffee stout.

Breuery has the food trucks in front as well.

You can run down both beer lists on their sites or just be adventurous and go there and get a bunch of tasting flights.

The Anaheim Brewery is really close by, at Broadway and Anaheim Blvd.

They have a Kolsch on tap right now which is uber-refreshing, in addition to the additional half-dozen beers that they make.

Umami Burger is right next door.  Gourmet burgers and such, with beers on tap.

You could then take a stroll around the downtown Anaheim/Platinum Triangle area.

In fact, there's a cool barber shop there called Barbeer, if you feel the urge for a straight shave and a pint.

Bootlegger's is my favorite. They have beers for every kind of drinker. The place is a converted auto garage so the facility is nothing special. The location is very close to downtown Fullertown which has a ton of food options if you don't like the food truck option. But they do list the food truck calendar on their website: http://www.bootleggersbrewery.com/

The Bruery is basically all sort of sours. If someone in the group isn't a fan of sours, their selection is very limited. They do a small free tour of their brewery frequently throughout the day which is pretty cool. The facility is top notch though being indoors with nice tables and chairs. There will also be at least 1 food truck in the parking lot.

Thinking of the kids, I've never been but they have that Discovery Zone/ science center place in Santa Ana.

I have been to this place, and it's interesting even for adults. The kids would probably enjoy it, and it's not overly expensive. One of the places we hit on a trip to OC when it rained all day, axing our plans for more outdoor stuff.

The Bruery is a belgian brewery and not strictly sours, far from it as almost their entire reagular brews are in fact not sours. They are a belgian inspired brewery, they use a belgian yeast strain for almost all of their beers.  You should check them out as they are one of the best breweries in the country. Orchard White, Saison Rue, Lokal Red, and Mischief are all excellent and regulars in the tap room. 

Bootleggers is awesome of course for the typical American Craft beer experience. 

I would also say go to Noble Ale Works before or after a game just to have a pint of their Naughty Sauce which is one of the most talked about beer in SoCal right now. I think they are just an average brewery outside of the Naughty Sauce.

Gastropub wise, Haven in Orange and Slaters 50/50 are the best bets in the area.

There are a lot more breweries in Los Angeles and the South Bay. The Congregation Ale House and Beachwood BBQ are also solid if you have the time or are in the Long Beach area. If you are up in LA hit up Mohawk Bend, Beer Belly or The Golden State. I can keep going but I think that should give you some great ideas beer wise. 

We just had a Breury Beer tonight - bourbon aged stout - I think the name is Bois - excellent.  I have several bottles from the Breury.  My all time favorite is Black Tuesday - hard to find, 20% alcohol - so look out).  It's a high end beer of theirs and truly delicious. 

How did you get your hands on an elusive bottle of Black Tuesday? I was given a Reserve Society membership for Christmas that  guarantees me a bottle. Only released in October and only available at the brewery. It packs a punch for sure and is pretty good for such a high abv. 

I saw someone posted that the Bruery is not willing to make IPA's. This is somewhat true but it has to do with the differences in the brewery process between belgian styles and brewing ales. The equipment The Bruery uses is set up for belgians. 

Bruce, did you have the Sans Pagaie today? I picked up a few bottles and really like it but I am letting the others age. The Cherries actually are rather noticeable already but as it ages I am sure the cherries will really start to stand out. 

The Bruery is a belgian brewery and not strictly sours, far from it as almost their entire reagular brews are in fact not sours. They are a belgian inspired brewery, they use a belgian yeast strain for almost all of their beers.  You should check them out as they are one of the best breweries in the country. Orchard White, Saison Rue, Lokal Red, and Mischief are all excellent and regulars in the tap room. 

Bootleggers is awesome of course for the typical American Craft beer experience. 

I would also say go to Noble Ale Works before or after a game just to have a pint of their Naughty Sauce which is one of the most talked about beer in SoCal right now. I think they are just an average brewery outside of the Naughty Sauce.

Gastropub wise, Haven in Orange and Slaters 50/50 are the best bets in the area.

There are a lot more breweries in Los Angeles and the South Bay. The Congregation Ale House and Beachwood BBQ are also solid if you have the time or are in the Long Beach area. If you are up in LA hit up Mohawk Bend, Beer Belly or The Golden State. I can keep going but I think that should give you some great ideas beer wise. 

James, thanks for all the restaurant suggestions.  I'm looking them all up now.

The Newport Brewery (Newport Beach about 30th Street on Newport Blvd.) isn't very exceptional food and drink-wise, but it's in a good location and the patio is fun in the middle of the day on a weekend. 

You can walk to the beach from there pretty easily and if you want to slum it, Cassidy's is down the street.  Great burgers and good people watching.  If you have a tank top, fat white arms and a bad tattoo, you'll be right at home.  I'm still amazed at how many hot chicks get dressed up and go there on a Sunday afternoon to get plowed.  With booze.

The Newport Brewery (Newport Beach about 30th Street on Newport Blvd.) isn't very exceptional food and drink-wise, but it's in a good location and the patio is fun in the middle of the day on a weekend. 

You can walk to the beach from there pretty easily and if you want to slum it, Cassidy's is down the street.  Great burgers and good people watching.  If you have a tank top, fat white arms and a bad tattoo, you'll be right at home.  I'm still amazed at how many hot chicks get dressed up and go there on a Sunday afternoon to get plowed.  With booze.

LOL, so the place sucks but hey its in a fun neighborhood!

Head down the The Ocean Institute in Dana Point. There are a couple of Tallships (pilgrim is open for tours on Sundays, I think) marine science center (also open Sundays) a couple of easy hikes for kids, great tide pools etc.

Then head to Wind and Sea for drinks and nachos on the patio. You can also hit up Turks for some dive bar fun, but not sure it is kid friendly.

I'll be sure to wear my white sunglasses and flat-billed hat. Crooked, of course.