• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Griffin Canning scheduled to throw today

rafibomb

Geeze, with his history, I had assumed he'd be out for at least a year. This would be huge. It would be nice to walk into next season with Canning, Suarez, Barria, and Sandoval looking like real, healthy options. They don't all have to pan out, but if they were all able to eat innings...then you sign Cole, and throw Ohtani in there...

58 minutes ago, Lou said:

His history?

Hasn't he already had a history with injuries, even going into the minors? That's my memory of him, at least - he came from college, but was pushed really hard there; has good stuff, but came into the minors needing surgery or something and missed time almost immediately because of it, kinda leading to questions about whether his arm would hold up in the long term.

Maybe I'm going crazy? I can't find anything online, but I could have sworn that he missed a substantial amount of time when we first signed him due to arm injuries, and I thought I remembered talk of a possible TJ surgery while he was still in the minors. Hoping I'm just going crazy here...

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

After being drafted, they sat him for precautionary reasons for the rest of the 2017 season.   Then he pitched about 110 innings in 2018, and so far not quite 100 innings in 2019.   His delivery is a bit of a concern, some high maintenance there?

I think this is what I'm thinking of - that line kinda sets alarm bells off in my mind. Especially when he throws heat, comes up to the majors, and almost immediately goes down with an elbow injury. Suffice to say...really hoping that he is coming back strong here.

6 hours ago, krAbs said:

Hasn't he already had a history with injuries, even going into the minors? That's my memory of him, at least - he came from college, but was pushed really hard there; has good stuff, but came into the minors needing surgery or something and missed time almost immediately because of it, kinda leading to questions about whether his arm would hold up in the long term.

Maybe I'm going crazy? I can't find anything online, but I could have sworn that he missed a substantial amount of time when we first signed him due to arm injuries, and I thought I remembered talk of a possible TJ surgery while he was still in the minors. Hoping I'm just going crazy here...

He had a stress fracture in his back his freshman year and a pre-draft MRI that showed "potential issues". 

"Canning was a workhorse for the Bruins, leading the team in innings pitched each of the past two years. His 119 innings this season were a career-high, and he started 17 games. He suffered a stress fracture in his back late during his freshman year, which caused him to miss the postseason when UCLA, the No. 1 overall seed, lost in the regional round".

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/12/mlb-draft-uclas-griffin-canning-goes-47th-overall-to-angels/ 

"That is what appears to have happened with UCLA right-hander Griffin Canning. Ranked No. 17 on our Draft Top 200 list , Canning is a highly regarded college arm who was looking like a middle of the first round talent because of his extremely consistent season. But word was spreading as the final weekend before the Draft approached that there were some issues with his medical report that were causing teams to pause at the very least.
According to sources from multiple teams, Canning's MRI returned some potential issues. Such reports are not uncommon and it will be up to each team's medical staff to interpret the results, but as of Friday night, some teams had already decided to pass on Canning, while others are waiting to hear back from their doctors on how to proceed".

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/234660412/2017-draft-buzz-what-callis-mayo-are-hearing/