• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Hawaii trip

we're poor so when we've gone to Hawaii we looked at all the options available and just piecemealed our own plans. that way we're not locked in stuff that may not be all that interesting.

we went to maui two years ago and the best thing I did was to go snuba (a combination of snorkeling and scuba diving) at molokini crater. BEST. THING. EVER. it's a bit pricey, but my goodness it was so worth it.

a luau didn't hold a lot of appeal to us as vegetarians who don't drink alcohol and have a limited diet that doesn't include rice.

we spent time walking the beach and hanging out at the pool. just being there was enjoyable enough. next time I go I'm taking my golf clubs along. too many good courses all around the islands.

I've been pricing trips through Costco, Alaska and Hawaiian Airlines.  Costco was the cheapest and the searching function easiest to manipulate.  We've been playing with 9-10 day trips in either October/early November for the past few weeks.  Gonna probably do 5 days in Maui, 4 in Kauai.  Was specifically looking for hotels with nicer pool features for my kids (slides, lazy rivers, that kind of stuff).  Not planning on sitting at the hotel all day but will be nice for them a few hours a day depending on what we have planned.

Snuba sounds fun.  What kind of training did they have you do?  How pricey we talking, $100 per?

Any suggestions on must-do's is always appreciated on either island!

https://www.prideofmaui.com/activities/snuba/

we were there in summer and our snuba cost was $90+ for 30 minutes. totally worth it.

I had never gone scuba diving previously but there was a free instructional scuba class at our resort (I won a 5 day 4 night trip to the grand wailean) and doing that was really helpful with seeing what it felt like to breathe underwater. when we got to molokini, I didn't have any issues being under the water. they gave us a minimum amount of 'training' on the boat out to the crater. the air tank is on a sled and has two air lines, so you're tethered to another person, and where one of you goes, both of you go. that was a very, very small downside, and not something that would prevent me from going again.

Aa far as keeping it cheap, hawaii flights are never really cheap. I routinely fly to europe for less than hawaii costs. No bullshit.

Reference snuba. Ive never done it. But i scuba regularly. Its amazing, and hawaii is a great place to learn. Warm water = no wetsuit. Which is better for buoncy, and less of a hassle (wetsuits suck).

My absolute honest suggestion to save money. Skip the hotel. Do an airbnb. You wont always find better deals... but you absolutely usually will. And you can get a whole house for the price of a hotel room usually. Or, if you backpack like i do, you can rent someones shack right on the beach on oahu for 19 bucks a night ;)

No frills obviously, but for that price, and the literal 20 steps to the water.... it was rad

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Aa far as keeping it cheap, hawaii flights are never really cheap. I routinely fly to europe for less than hawaii costs. No bullshit.

Reference snuba. Ive never done it. But i scuba regularly. Its amazing, and hawaii is a great place to learn. Warm water = no wetsuit. Which is better for buoncy, and less of a hassle (wetsuits suck).

My absolute honest suggestion to save money. Skip the hotel. Do an airbnb. You wont always find better deals... but you absolutely usually will. And you can get a whole house for the price of a hotel room usually. Or, if you backpack like i do, you can rent someones shack right on the beach on oahu for 19 bucks a night ;)

No frills obviously, but for that price, and the literal 20 steps to the water.... it was rad

I'll have to run that "no frills" part past my wife and kids.  I'm sure they'll commit.

nick miller GIF

We fly round trip to Maui from LAX for ~$600 per person.  I've found one way flights to parts of Europe from LAX for a bit under that but not round trip and they were on airlines that aren't my first or second pick.  Last time we went to Maui there was a priceline deal at Four Seasons in Wailea that came out to $1,800 for four nights.  We'd always done airbnb but wanted to do something different while the price was comparable to what we would have spent on a nice airbnb.  No frills and the cheaper backpack trips don't really fly when you have kids because if they aren't happy no one will be. 

4 hours ago, HaloMilliVanilli said:

I'll have to run that "no frills" part past my wife and kids.  I'm sure they'll commit.

nick miller GIF

Lol

You can actually get a regular house, not just an F shack for dirtbags like me. Literally multi bedrooms, for the same cost one of the hotels is going to cost.

But tell the wife and kids the money you save on the shack can go to your scuba and skydiving days off north shore. That will sell them

On 7/6/2019 at 6:07 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

Fun as a single guy. But nothing sounds better to a wife than "hey let's save a few bucks and skip the resort/pampering/room service/maids/swim up bar/spa. Plus you can cook and clean for us just like you do at home." Doesn't sound like much of a vacation from her perspective. ;)

We go often. So f*cking fun.

Definitely go eat at Lahaini Grill in Maui. It's routinely rated as one of the best restaurants in the country - by far the best in Maui, and not super expensive. Have a cocktail first at Kimo's on the water. Oh and spot by Lioda's too for drinks, a hot dog and a mini pie. 

As for lodgings and other restaurants or activities - I have suggestions if need be for both islands.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:58 PM, Tank said:

we're poor so when we've gone to Hawaii we looked at all the options available and just piecemealed our own plans. that way we're not locked in stuff that may not be all that interesting.

we went to maui two years ago and the best thing I did was to go snuba (a combination of snorkeling and scuba diving) at molokini crater. BEST. THING. EVER. it's a bit pricey, but my goodness it was so worth it.

a luau didn't hold a lot of appeal to us as vegetarians who don't drink alcohol and have a limited diet that doesn't include rice.

we spent time walking the beach and hanging out at the pool. just being there was enjoyable enough. next time I go I'm taking my golf clubs along. too many good courses all around the islands.

Molokini crater is fantastic.  Inner wall at 30-40 feet is amazing, as is the outer wall 110+.  Inner wall you can snorkel, free dive with total clarity.  Don’t even need scuba cert.

I like Maui a lot, been there 4 or 5 times.  I’ve stayed at a couple of really nice places there because worked paid for them.   Of the two the Grand Wailea has the better pool, it’s pretty great for the kids and adults.  We ate at a place called Merrimans it was amazing.   I’ve done the snuba as well at Molokini and it’s amazing.  

In Kauai we stayed (and are going to stay again in June) at the Grand Hyatt which is nice.  It’s been awhile since I’ve been to Kauai but I remember eating at Puka Dogs.  It was just a good local hot dog place.  

The best hotel and customer service I’ve ever received was at the Four Seasons on the Big Island, and I’ve stayed at some of the nicest hotels in the world.   Nothing compares to the service at that Four Seasons. 

On 7/6/2019 at 4:20 PM, HaloMilliVanilli said:

To celebrate the Lakers not signing KY, my family and I are planning a trip in October to Maui/Kauai.  Probably about 9 days.  Likely just use the Costco vacations site to book.  Anybody have a better way to book a package or am I gonna get the best deal through Costco?

On 7/7/2019 at 9:56 AM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We fly round trip to Maui from LAX for ~$600 per person.  I've found one way flights to parts of Europe from LAX for a bit under that but not round trip and they were on airlines that aren't my first or second pick.  Last time we went to Maui there was a priceline deal at Four Seasons in Wailea that came out to $1,800 for four nights.  We'd always done airbnb but wanted to do something different while the price was comparable to what we would have spent on a nice airbnb.  No frills and the cheaper backpack trips don't really fly when you have kids because if they aren't happy no one will be. 

United has $380 roundtrip fares from Burbank for the first half of October

hawaii.GIF

I'm heading to Kauai in 3 weeks and we always rent a house up in the Princeville area. You can get a nice 3-4 bedroom house with AC and a pool starting around $450/night. We buy fresh fish at the local seafood market, grill it up nightly. Then eat out every other night or lunch, helps save some money on food, then hit up the happy hours for drinks. North Shore Kauai is so beautiful, really nothing compares. 

On the South Shore, the Grand Hyatt is the best place to stay. Beach access, nice pool, restaurants, kids activities, etc. Also look at the Marriott near the airport. 

We have kids, so we're always getting them involved in some island activities. Here's a few on Kauai I recommend:

• Snorkel  at Tunnels Beach.
  • Stand-up paddle at Hanalei Pier or in Hanalei River
  • Do a zipline through the jungle. https://kauaibackcountry.com/zipline/
  • Rent an ATV at one of the ranches. https://princevilleranch.com/4x4-off-road/
  • Hike or mountain bike to a waterfall (try Wai Koa loop trail to stone dam).
  • Innertube: https://kauaibackcountry.com/tubing/
  • Helicopter. Kauai has so many hidden waterfalls and canyons you can't see otherwise. Make sure you go see the Na Pali coast. 
  • Rent a bike, cruise the beach path at Kapa'a.
  • Kayak down the Wailua river. 
  • The Waimea Canyon (SW part of the island) is incredible. Nice hiking around there too. 
  • The Beach House restaurant (South Shore) is a must for cocktails and dinner while watching the sunset. 

Have fun and don't forget to wear sunscreen. Get the kind that doesn't ruin the coral reefs.