• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LA homelessness numbers increasing

39 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I heard something a few weeks back that the OC manager is pissed so many homeless died last year. He said 1 a day found dead on the streets of the county.

This is politician talk. Every city takes several dead people in homes EVERY day. People die. Its what we do.

But this guy is saying we need more accountability...aka, it will fall on PD. Literally all these social programs end with us... even when there is another agency who handles it. Social services, child abuse registry, hospitals, etc... when they hit a roadblock, ie someone not going with the program, they call us. Its how you eliminate liability. "We called the police". Now it becomes "and what did the police do?"

This may ruffle some feathers, but needs to be said. I hear people say all the time that cops need more training. Ok, sure. But when do we acknowledge not everything is a police issue. Who assigned us social worker status to begin with? How many hats can I wear and still be an expert in?

If i were asked what my job is by say someone from another country, id be stumped to answer. Its technically law enforcement. 

So I try to prevent, or otherwise respond to theft. And assault. And domestic violence. Child abuse, both assault and molestation. Traffic accidents, where im supposed to take a report so your insurance company doesnt have to. 

Then you add mental health. Counselor. Attempt to locate for other agencies (where now I own it). Medical. This one is new. Now im mandated to carry narcan. 

So in terms of "more training", I have to constantly retrain for new laws (yearly), pursuit driving, first aid, mental health, etc etc etc. When exactly would i be in service?

Sorry for the rant.

It's government bureaucracy at it's finest. It makes me think of my friend who is a doctor in the military. All this stuff about the VA has been no surprise to me. He spends most of his time doing paper work, punching in stuff on the computer, making phone calls and fulfilling the duties of an officer. They literally have no help, he works 60-100 hours a week, went through 8 years of training and there have literally been days where he's manned the front desk in the clinic.

39 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

TORS reading your posts made me wonder how much we spend on keeping some of those that are addicted to drugs alive.  Those shots can't be cheap and you've got people who have been given it multiple times to save their lives.  Add in the time cost law enforcement, firefighters, paramedics, nurses, doctors and so on to treat or deal with these individuals and I imagine there's a ridiculous sum of money spent on a thankless effort when a high percentage are right back at it the next day.  Meanwhile more and more people can't afford health insurance or their prescriptions.  

Yeah.. i hate to be an asshole, but looking at it purely from a sterile, detached view, it isnt a "good investment".

When the riverbed situation was going on, we had teams that went down with social workers offering services.

Not making this up... there was a point system. If you were simply down on your luck, you were still out of luck. If you had a record and were an addict, there were programs...

Sad.

Heres another tidbit. Wanna know how many prego homeless females I come across? 

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yeah.. i hate to be an asshole, but looking at it purely from a sterile, detached view, it isnt a "good investment".

When the riverbed situation was going on, we had teams that went down with social workers offering services.

Not making this up... there was a point system. If you were simply down on your luck, you were still out of luck. If you had a record and were an addict, there were programs...

Sad.

Heres another tidbit. Wanna know how many prego homeless females I come across? 

I don't know if I can handle it.  My wife likes to read the news and tells or sends me stories she comes across and my faith in humanity is always taking a beating.