• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What started as a joke actually has some validity to it

My son has a newer Fiat 500 Abarth manual and yet when he tried to drive my '69 Spitfire he couldn't seem to find any gear.

He would shift from 1st to 4th then on the downshift would miss 3rd and there was a terrible grinding noise because 1st doesn't have synchro mesh and you really almost can't force it into gear going more than 10mph. 

He kept looking over at me as the car is lagging and coughing and says, how do you drive this! 

I was quite amused when he could not figure out where reverse was but then accidently pops in in reverse at a streetlight and takes off backwards. Luckily no one was behind us. 

Had it not been for my ex-wife, I wouldn't have learned how to drive one. My first car was an automatic, as was my parents' car. My ex was a fan of stick shifts, so I learned on our first new car, a 1979 Toyota Corolla. It was a good car to learn on because it had very positive gear action and a smooth clutch.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

How many cars do they even make with stick shifts these days?

https://www.tflcar.com/2018/11/manual-cars-suvs-2019/ 

There ya go.

I’m personally a big fan of manual transmissions. Pretty much every car I’ve had to this point has been a manual. At this point it’s just a matter of comfort and control for me. A manual also makes driving in the snow a lot easier in my opinion. I guess the fact that it makes my car less likely to be stolen is just a bonus.

I learned to drive on an automatic but knew I wanted to know how to drive a manual so when it was time to get a new car in early 2005 I forced the issue by buying a manual which I couldn't even drive off the lot.  That car died about 1.5 years ago and I bought an automatic because my wife can't drive a manual and we needed something we grow into.  Once my car is paid off I'm going to look for a used manual to use for a daily driver.  I'd really like an older manual jeep but not sure how likely it is I'll find one if I'm trying to keep the budget down.

I got a little lucky with driving this way. My parents had both. I pretty much drove my mom's Acura Legend in high school, but my step-dad was showing me how to drive stick in his Acura Integra GTR (yeah, dude was going through a mid-life crisis and had it all raced out). I remember struggling and one day the car was sitting there and I had a key to where I said, "I'm going to do this."

Funny part about it was I was driving around the block and nailing 1st gear (the rest are easy, it's just starting from 0 that is the tough part) and some local cop started following me around which threw some more pressure to get back home but also make the starting process more stressful.

I like driving stick, but also hate the shit out of it in traffic which we predominantly have here in CA. It does keep you alert. I dropped a lot of money in the car getting it to run or beat high end cars, so I won't be ditching it anytime soon.....throwing money into a depreciating asset whoop whoop

On 3/10/2019 at 9:50 PM, Tank said:

my daughter has started looking at cars to buy down the road. she won't go anywhere near a stick, and frankly, i'm kind of relieved i won't have to teach her how to use one.

wimp...there's nothing more enjoyable than taking a first time stick driver up the largest hill you can find that has a stop sign half way up.

10 hours ago, red321 said:

wimp...there's nothing more enjoyable than taking a first time stick driver up the largest hill you can find that has a stop sign half way up.

got to know your audience. she's not an assertive person, and putting her in that position would not end well.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:36 PM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I learned to drive on an automatic but knew I wanted to know how to drive a manual so when it was time to get a new car in early 2005 I forced the issue by buying a manual which I couldn't even drive off the lot.  That car died about 1.5 years ago and I bought an automatic because my wife can't drive a manual and we needed something we grow into.  Once my car is paid off I'm going to look for a used manual to use for a daily driver.  I'd really like an older manual jeep but not sure how likely it is I'll find one if I'm trying to keep the budget down.

How old of a Jeep?

47 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

How old of a Jeep?

I haven't looked into it too much but when I did a quick search on carmax most of the one's that came up were newer and more importantly pricier than what I'd want to spend as they cost as much as the used car I bought.  I'd aim to get something that's akin to a car you'd get a high school or college kid which is something you'd find in pennysaver back in the day or parked on the street with a for sale sign.  Unfortunately I've still got 3 years of car payments and would have to wait until my car is paid off or closer to when it's paid off but definitely not this year.  Ideally something that won't require too much money early on and that I can use for a daily driver some days while my commute round trip is under 20 miles.  At the same time I know I'm not going to find some amazing deal for a car that's in better shape than the price it goes for nor do I expect to.    

3 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

I haven't looked into it too much but when I did a quick search on carmax most of the one's that came up were newer and more importantly pricier than what I'd want to spend as they cost as much as the used car I bought.  I'd aim to get something that's akin to a car you'd get a high school or college kid which is something you'd find in pennysaver back in the day or parked on the street with a for sale sign.  Unfortunately I've still got 3 years of car payments and would have to wait until my car is paid off or closer to when it's paid off but definitely not this year.  Ideally something that won't require too much money early on and that I can use for a daily driver some days while my commute round trip is under 20 miles.  At the same time I know I'm not going to find some amazing deal for a car that's in better shape than the price it goes for nor do I expect to.    

Yeah, jeeps tend to hold their value pretty well. Depending on what you consider old, the price of JK’s (2007-2017) will start to fall soon with the new JL being released. All the soccer moms want the newest. Mine is a 2008 and a manual and it’s going strong with almost 200k and a bunch of modifications.

before that, the TJ is still a great little Jeep with an in-line 6 that is a super work horse. I loved mine, but the four door is better with kids and dogs.

I guess some people still use rotary phones too....

Seriously, I never learned.  It kind of bothers me that I never did - but never really had access to car with a stick.

Eventually, it won't matter - they'll all be self driving.  *Gulp*

I've had three cars over my life that were sticks.  Two were in my post college days, when I have driven all over LA for my work commutes.  I was told so many times to never drive a stick in LA traffic.

While the commute has been a bitch these past years, I never spent one calorie thinking that the stick made the commute worse.    Driving sticks are pure joy.

2 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I've had three cars over my life that were sticks.  Two were in my post college days, when I have driven all over LA for my work commutes.  I was told so many times to never drive a stick in LA traffic.

While the commute has been a bitch these past years, I never spent one calorie thinking that the stick made the commute worse.    Driving sticks are pure joy.

I remember going to visit my buddy who taught me to drive stick after he moved inland and when I got there he said something along the lines of "Are you regretting getting a manual after sitting in traffic yet?"  In the 12+ years I drove stick it never once bothered me even when I had a commute that involved the 405/605.  I always found it so much more enjoyable even if I spent an hour plus never getting beyond second gear on the freeway because of traffic.     

1 hour ago, Sully151 said:

Yeah, jeeps tend to hold their value pretty well. Depending on what you consider old, the price of JK’s (2007-2017) will start to fall soon with the new JL being released. All the soccer moms want the newest. Mine is a 2008 and a manual and it’s going strong with almost 200k and a bunch of modifications.

before that, the TJ is still a great little Jeep with an in-line 6 that is a super work horse. I loved mine, but the four door is better with kids and dogs.

That's what I'm kind of learning based on the limited research I've done.  When I do get something I'm fine with a good amount of mileage on it if it hasn't been in any major accidents and my mechanic doesn't see any major red flags.  

I missed Red's post about stick on a hill or angle. Even being advanced with driving stick, when I go to the Comedy Store in LA there is a ridiculous slope that my map will sometimes take me up to get to Sunset Blvd. I want to say the street is Sweetzer Ave. This slope has gotten me to stall a few times or really lay on the gas while releasing the clutch to prevent stalling. 

On 3/11/2019 at 10:36 PM, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Jeeps are kinda a weird thing on the used market. When I used to sell cars salesmen would be absolutely pumped when we got a Jeep on trade in. Basically, for reasons unknown to me, the difference between what you can get on a trade in for a Jeep and what a used Jeep will retail for at a dealership is massive. The most money I ever made on one single car was on a 2009 (I think) Jeep Grand Cherokee with like 70k miles on it (this would’ve been in roughly 2013). So if you do look for a used Jeep, either try to find a private seller and really vet the automobile or try to absolutely hammer the dealership you are dealing with.

50 minutes ago, Don said:

Jeeps are kinda a weird thing on the used market. When I used to sell cars salesmen would be absolutely pumped when we got a Jeep on trade in. Basically, for reasons unknown to me, the difference between what you can get on a trade in for a Jeep and what a used Jeep will retail for at a dealership is massive. The most money I ever made on one single car was on a 2009 (I think) Jeep Grand Cherokee with like 70k miles on it (this would’ve been in roughly 2013). So if you do look for a used Jeep, either try to find a private seller and really vet the automobile or try to absolutely hammer the dealership you are dealing with.

Thanks for the advice.  I'd lean towards a private sale and ultimately what I would like and what I can afford for my mini mid life crisis may not be the same thing.