• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Stolen Bases

LAAMike

I know that it is a small sample size but it is certainly great to see the Angels leading MLB after 9 games in R,  RBI, BB, Hits, 3B, 2B, Avg, OBP and OPS, but we are way behind with only 4 steals.  Is this due to our new manager?

I don't think Ausmus had his players steal much when he was in Detroit either. But when you have guys as fast Trout and Ohtani on base 40% of the time, you should be putting them in motion.

And then with faster guys like Adell, Marsh, Jones and Rengifo coming up soon,  it should be fairly common to see the Angels running a lot in the future, otherwise it would be a waste of talent.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Reduction in stolen bases are the product of risk adverse management. That was one of the goals the Angels we're supposed to be moving towards this season. 

I thought that "risk adverse management" was the mantra when it came to spending money or years in player acquisition not in game management.  Are the Angels trying to avoid the injuries that stealing seems to encounter? We seem to have a lot of speed that is not being utilized.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Reduction in stolen bases are the product of risk adverse management. That was one of the goals the Angels we're supposed to be moving towards this season. 

1 hour ago, LAAMike said:

I thought that "risk adverse management" was the mantra when it came to spending money or years in player acquisition not in game management.  Are the Angels trying to avoid the injuries that stealing seems to encounter? We seem to have a lot of speed that is not being utilized.  

This is one aspect but I would simply argue that statistically you need to have at least a 70% success rate or higher and most players cannot achieve that mark, thus making the SB a relic in modern, statistics-driven teams.

All that being said the Royals made a conscious decision to go Ricky-Bobby fast this season which should be fun to watch.

14 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

This and we haven't needed to manufacture many runs as they have been coming in bunches and the runners are already in scoring position. So, hitting and running is needed less as is the stolen base..

We've had plenty of opportunities to steal bases still. Spring Training is where you practice all of these situations so they should be on the move. Specially right now with Bourjos, Adell, Marsh, Rengifo, Fletcher and Jones. 

34 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I was thinking the same thing. It does worry me. I can understand not seeing Trout or Simmons trying to grab a bag (as long as they're running during the season). We should see the younger guys up and running. Spring Training is the time to work on these things and we better sure as hell see it.

spring training is the time to get yourself ready for the season and not get injured.  The guys in the minors will have plenty of time to work on stealing bases....in the minors.  

5 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Sorry, Doc, but you play spring training games to prepare for the season. Stealing bases is part of the preparation as much as running hard to catch a pop up. You know, like Trout did yesterday. Then missed the catch and booted the ball to left field for a three bag error. 

So I guess they won't be stealing any bases then.  

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Sorry, Doc, but you play spring training games to prepare for the season. Stealing bases is part of the preparation as much as running hard to catch a pop up. You know, like Trout did yesterday. Then missed the catch and booted the ball to left field for a three bag error. 

i disagree, i think in the regular season he dives for that ball and probably catches it.  It is ST and the goal of ST is yes to prepare, but also to stay healthy.
That has nothing to do with the SB issue though as when they start counting for real i dont think anyone will be running as much as they might in spring when they are trying to showcase stuff.   In short, exhibition isnt the same as those that count.