• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Harper and Ebay bidding

Angelsjunky

Ever go into the last hour of an Ebay bid as the high bidder for what seems like a steal, and then have several people outbid you and the price is driven way up and out of reach?

I suspect that's what is going on with Bryce Harper. Before Machado got 10/$300M, some where saying Machado had been pushed down to something like 8/$220M, and Harper wouldn't reach the $300M the Nationals had offered him. Now it seems he has several bids above 10/$300M. I suspect that when all is said and done, Harper will get 10/$350M or so - and probably to the Dodgers (IMO), maybe the Giants. Unless, of course, the Phillies go nuts and make him a stupid money offer he can't refuse, like 10/$375M or even 12/$420M.

The longer this goes on, the higher the Harper contract and--unfortunately--the higher the Trout extension. 

(We really need a singular Harper thread. Anyhow, hopefully this will all be over soon).

I am almost certain this isn't about money as much as location.  He obviously doesn't want to go to Philly.  Seems like he prefers LAD or NYY.  NYY weren't interested and it doesn't seem like LAD are offering nearly as much as the Phillies.

Any Trout extension was likely always going to be at least $40mm AAV, I don't think Harper or Machado contracts have a huge impact on that.

29 minutes ago, nate said:

I am almost certain this isn't about money as much as location.  He obviously doesn't want to go to Philly.  Seems like he prefers LAD or NYY.  NYY weren't interested and it doesn't seem like LAD are offering nearly as much as the Phillies.

Any Trout extension was likely always going to be at least $40mm AAV, I don't think Harper or Machado contracts have a huge impact on that.

I agree

Harper to Philly per Heyman

Not quite.

Ebay auctions can be nuts, though. The other day, there was a lineup card from a 2 home run game from Trout.  2 minutes left it was $63. Ended at $600.

I was curious because I have a Mariners lineup card from a similar game.  I was there. In Seattle.  Paid $200 for it. It also happened to be Mike Trout's mother's birthday. Might get it signed. Right now that runs $350

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Not really. It’s whoever has the highest bid.  That doesn’t have to be the last one.  The first guy to big a week beforehand could have everyone beat by miles.  

It also depends on how much demand there is. I’ve bought things where I was the only bidder, which is called a Josh Hamilton in my house.

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Not really. It’s whoever has the highest bid.  That doesn’t have to be the last one.  The first guy to big a week beforehand could have everyone beat by miles.  

Sure, if you are trying to overpay that is a great strategy. Sometimes as a seller you can get lucky and have someone bid way over I imagine. Most of those people are probably gona jump on a Buy It Now deal.

8 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Sure, if you are trying to overpay that is a great strategy. Sometimes as a seller you can get lucky and have someone bid way over I imagine. Most of those people are probably gona jump on a Buy It Now deal.

Why would anyone overpay?  If you value something at a price you won’t pay more than that price.  If someone pushes you to the max, you walk away without spending a dime.  

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Why would anyone overpay?  If you value something at a price you won’t pay more than that price.  If someone pushes you to the max, you walk away without spending a dime.  

In that case you won't win unless it's one of tanks auctions that no one else is bidding on. If you want a good deal you have to swoop in and bid at the very end. High bids at the beginning typically result in higher final prices cuz usually there is someone out there who is willing to go a few bucks higher than you are.

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

That is the way that I approach an auction. I have a maximum bid price in mind. If I place it and someone else's high bid outdoes it, I walk away. The people who overpay are the ones who are obsessed with winning and lose sight of what they are actually paying.

15 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

That is the way that I approach an auction. I have a maximum bid price in mind. If I place it and someone else's high bid outdoes it, I walk away. The people who overpay are the ones who are obsessed with winning and lose sight of what they are actually paying.

Right. Those who win the bidding war typically lose when it comes to the value of what’s being bid on.