• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We’re done....

DMVol

Didn't he say the same thing a couple weeks ago?

I'm fine with that. Eppler has made some interesting signings--Harvey, Cahill, Lucroy, Bour, Allen, La Stella--that, as a group, have significant upside for 2019, while not hamstringing payroll in the long-run as more young players graduate to the majors. 

It should be an interesting season, but probably should be understand as a staging ground for success in the 2020s. 

14 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

It sounds like Eppler is going to play “wait and see” until the trade deadline before he makes a impact move. 

I guess he might still jump in if the bottom drops out of the Keuchel or Moose markets....Nah, he done....

I bet he's focused on other non-roster invites at this point.  Wouldn't mind another SP on a minor league deal.  

I believe his original intent was to focus on SP (as he stated) and that our initial targets didn't work out.  

While I'd like to have gotten at least one more stable arm, I am fine with the way things turned out because this class of FA pitchers was not very impressive.  Happ is 36.  Corbin didn't seem likely to stay out west.  Eovaldi was clearly going to get overpaid by the Sox and he rally has very little track record.  Lance Lynn is meh and got more than I'd have spent on him.  Morton is 35 and wanted to play for an east coast team.  Keuchel wants too much money and he's 31.  I am glad they didn't just sign someone because they were available.  

It's certainly a risk to wait for next year's class but I am hoping it's worth it.  

On 2/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, Randy Gradishar said:

Championship-caliber ballclub.

In the Atheletic this morning they have a piece that basically goes over everything Eppler has talked about this offseason and new comments from presumably a more recent interview.  He flat out says that they aren’t playing for a championship this year.  It’s what we all know, they’re just doing enough to be competitive, if they end up in the playoffs great.  But for now that’s not the focus of the FO. 

36 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

In the Atheletic this morning they have a piece that basically goes over everything Eppler has talked about this offseason and new comments from presumably a more recent interview.  He flat out says that they aren’t playing for a championship this year.  It’s what we all know, they’re just doing enough to be competitive, if they end up in the playoffs great.  But for now that’s not the focus of the FO. 

Did anyone still think otherwise?
I haven't bought the athletic so i haven't read this, but as much as this isn't news and was already painfully obvious, i do find it really irritating to hear that from him. 
Did he happen to say what we are playing for then? 

15 minutes ago, floplag said:

Did anyone still think otherwise?
I haven't bought the athletic so i haven't read this, but as much as this isn't news and was already painfully obvious, i do find it really irritating to hear that from him. 
Did he happen to say what we are playing for then? 

Developing sustainable depth.  Basically.  You ought to get it Flop.  They have a couple of writers dedicated to the Angels. 

Just now, Stradling said:

I have been considering getting a subscription to the Athletic and another one to Baseball America. 

I have both.  I’m not sure I’ll renew my BA subscription.  The rankings are cool but there’s really not a ton of MLB content.  Especially Angels content.  Plus there’s plenty of great free prospects sites.  The Athletic is fantastic tho, I’ll definitely renew that. 

Just now, UndertheHalo said:

I have both.  I’m not sure I’ll renew my BA subscription.  The rankings are cool but there’s really not a ton of MLB content.  Especially Angels content.  Plus there’s plenty of great free prospects sites.  The Athletic is fantastic tho, I’ll definitely renew that. 

Great info.  I actually want more prospect stuff.  I get a lot of my prospect stuff from our minor league thread and stories guys on here send me.  

On 2/10/2019 at 7:43 PM, Dochalo said:

I bet he's focused on other non-roster invites at this point.  Wouldn't mind another SP on a minor league deal.  

I believe his original intent was to focus on SP (as he stated) and that our initial targets didn't work out.  

While I'd like to have gotten at least one more stable arm, I am fine with the way things turned out because this class of FA pitchers was not very impressive.  Happ is 36.  Corbin didn't seem likely to stay out west.  Eovaldi was clearly going to get overpaid by the Sox and he rally has very little track record.  Lance Lynn is meh and got more than I'd have spent on him.  Morton is 35 and wanted to play for an east coast team.  Keuchel wants too much money and he's 31.  I am glad they didn't just sign someone because they were available.  

It's certainly a risk to wait for next year's class but I am hoping it's worth it.  

The Cahill deal looks better and better when you put him side by side statistically with Nate Eovaldi.  The only difference would be Nathan's velocity, but at the same time, Calhill has also proven he can be an elite reliever if you choose to use him that way.  With Eovaldi, the Red Sox are thinking he'd likely make an elite reliever.  Likely.