• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

September: who's clutch or not

Troll Daddy

All the games count the same April through September.  And all the runs count the same inning 1 through 9.

Is a guy not clutch if he is a beast April through June pushing his team to a 10 game lead and then he "slumps" while the team coasts to the division title in September?

All the games count the same.

A guys strikes out with the bases loaded three times in the first 6 innings then singles in the go ahead run in the 8th and I am supposed to think he is clutch?

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

All the games count the same April through September.  And all the runs count the same inning 1 through 9.

Is a guy not clutch if he is a beast April through June pushing his team to a 10 game lead and then he "slumps" while the team coasts to the division title in September?

All the games count the same.

A guys strikes out with the bases loaded three times in the first 6 innings then singles in the go ahead run in the 8th and I am supposed to think he is clutch?

That's like saying all putts are the same

16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

That's like saying all putts are the same

If you make all your putts early you can miss a couple late.  If you miss a bunch of putts early, then your own failures put more importance on putts late.

My point is I dont recognize stuff like "close and late" or September versus April because it doesn't take into consideration the fact that a player sucking early in a game or early in a season can actually create the clutch situation.

You should never get extra credit points for cleaning up your own mess.

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

If you make all your putts early you can miss a couple late.  If you miss a bunch of putts early, then your own failures put more importance on putts late.

My point is I dont recognize stuff like "close and late" or September versus April because it doesn't take into consideration the fact that a player sucking early in a game or early in a season can actually create the clutch situation.

You should never get extra credit points for cleaning up your own mess.

Clearly you've never played sports and don't understand the concept of pressure situations.

15 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Clearly you've never played sports and don't understand the concept of pressure situations.

Your take sucks

Played enough.  And managed winning youth baseball teams for almost 20 years with an emphasis that inning 1 matters just like the last inning.  Win the inning.

When you play like that, the last inning isn't more stressful than the first.  They are the same.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Played enough.  And managed winning youth baseball teams for almost 20 years with an emphasis that inning 1 matters just like the last inning.  Win the inning.

When you play like that, the last inning isn't more stressful than the first.  They are the same.

The last inning more often than not is usually the most important inning in baseball. 

Are you familiar with the word 'climax' ? 

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

The last inning more often than not is usually the most important inning in baseball. 

Are you familiar with the word 'climax' ? I'm guessing the woman in your life isn't 

Look we simply disagree.  There is no most important inning unless you want to judge them by opportunities.

How your team does with bases loaded with no outs in the third is going to matter more than how it does in other innings without the bases loaded.

Your climax comment just proves you a douche.  I know that now.  Done deal. Interesting that this decisive moment happened early in our relationship of message exchanges.

You should have waited longer to prove you are a douche later in the game.  That would be clutch.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Look we simply disagree.  There is no most important inning unless you want to judge them by opportunities.

How your team does with bases loaded with no outs in the third is going to matter more than how it does in other innings without the bases loaded.

Your climax comment just proves you a douche.  I know that now.  Done deal. Interesting that this decisive moment happened early in our relationship of message exchanges.

You should have waited longer to prove you are a douche later in the game.  That would be clutch.

Everything counts during the game in sports ... I get it on a philosophical level

btw I like the fact you work with youth baseball teams. I'm guessing travel ball?

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Everything counts during the game in sports ... I get it on a philosophical level

btw I like the fact you work with youth baseball teams. I'm guessing travel ball?

Little league and travel ball coaching my nephew from age 4 to 11 then my son was born, and I did it again with him age 4 through 12 in both Little League and travel teams.  It's over now but it was a great ride.

Too much drama in some of the politics but if you don't get right in the middle of it then the bad seeds drive their own agenda and contaminate it.

I am pretty happy with some of the final storylines and the victories in snuffing out the a-holes from ruining it for the kids.  But it takes it out of you. . .

I have my doubts, because performing under pressure is a key element of athletics.  You seem to think there is nothing important about performing under pressure.

34 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I have my doubts, because performing under pressure is a key element of athletics.  You seem to think there is nothing important about performing under pressure.

One of the things I hate about message boards is the need to constantly correct other people's assumptions.  The bold underline quote above is entirely your own imagination.  I never said or suggested anything remotely close to that ridiculous statement.

Can I play the same way?  You seem to think if a player doesn't feel stressed out he doesn't care about winning.

Let's keep doing this back and forth making things up.  It's fun.

One of the things I hate about message boards is the need to constantly correct other people's assumptions.  The bold underline quote above is entirely your own imagination.  I never said or suggested anything remotely close to that ridiculous statement.

Can I play the same way?  You seem to think if a player doesn't feel stressed out he doesn't care about winning.

Let's keep doing this back and forth making things up.  It's fun.

Talk about assumptions!   

Let me help you!  Every athlete has to have a competitive drive.  The stronger their competitive drive the farther they will go in their sport.  Therefore EVERYONE IN THE MLB CARES ABOUT WINNING.  If they didn't they would never have made it.

Being stressed out has nothing to do with it.  In fact, it is those who keep their composure and have the mental toughness to stay focused in stressful situations that usually succeeds in high pressure situations.  Management is always looking for the players that step up in pressure situations.....

I am sorry but I have grave doubts about your assertion of participating in highly competitive athletics.  First, those who do participate knows the difference of "being stressed out" as you called it and being in a stressful situation.  Second anyone in highly competitive situations will know their is a difference between performance and "clutch" performance.  Great players rise up in clutch situations.  Now like you, I have experience in coaching my son's baseball teams in both little league in aau.  However, there is a big difference between that and High School, which I have no experience coaching.  What I do have experience coaching is 15 years in collegiate basketball, plus two years in professional basketball as well as a scout for both the NBA and Collegiate team.

22 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Talk about assumptions!   

Let me help you!  Every athlete has to have a competitive drive.  The stronger their competitive drive the farther they will go in their sport.  Therefore EVERYONE IN THE MLB CARES ABOUT WINNING.  If they didn't they would never have made it.

Being stressed out has nothing to do with it.  In fact, it is those who keep their composure and have the mental toughness to stay focused in stressful situations that usually succeeds in high pressure situations.  Management is always looking for the players that step up in pressure situations.....

I am sorry but I have grave doubts about your assertion of participating in highly competitive athletics.  First, those who do participate knows the difference of "being stressed out" as you called it and being in a stressful situation.  Second anyone in highly competitive situations will know their is a difference between performance and "clutch" performance.  Great players rise up in clutch situations.  Now like you, I have experience in coaching my son's baseball teams in both little league in aau.  However, there is a big difference between that and High School, which I have no experience coaching.  What I do have experience coaching is 15 years in collegiate basketball, plus two years in professional basketball as well as a scout for both the NBA and Collegiate team.

An airplane went over your head dude. You missed it.

But you were successful in steering the conversation to what you really wanted. . .a chance to spit out your resume.

Congratulations.  And thanks for an interesting piece of evidence that there are coaches at every level that lack some basic communication and comprehension skills.

Explain to me again what I think about stressed out players!!   Ha ha.

Flew right over your head, Coach.  I bet you were a big help figuring out sports psychology when you can't even understand a couple of sentences on a message board.

Have a good day, Coach.  Can I get your autograph Coach?

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

An airplane went over your head dude. You missed it.

But you were successful in steering the conversation to what you really wanted. . .a chance to spit out your resume.

Congratulations.  And thanks for an interesting piece of evidence that there are coaches at every level that lack some basic communication and comprehension skills.

Explain to me again what I think about stressed out players!!   Ha ha.

Flew right over your head, Coach.  I bet you were a big help figuring out sports psychology when you can't even understand a couple of sentences on a message board.

Have a good day, Coach.  Can I get your autograph Coach?

Yea i figured i would piss you off.  My bad.....And i only spit out my resume because you talked about your experience in the competitive level by coachibg youth baseball. 

Let me address some issues.

First i criticized you because when i talked about producing in a stressful situation you referred that i was talking about peoole being stressed out.  Go back and look up my post and explain to me how a stressul situation equates to being stressed out.  

Lets go second.  I do want to go back and agree with you in regards the importance of games in May v games in September.  A loss in May hurts your chances as a loss in September.  Buts thats when you take look at the season in its entirety.  

However when there are only 20 games left in the season and your a game out of the wild card the games bring a greater sense of urgency.  Great players need to rise up and carry the team in those situation because its called crunch time.  

Let me put it with this analogy.  Labron James is the most skilled and talented player in NBA history.  He is the cross between Jordan and Maguc Johnson.  Often he has carried his teams through an entire season.  

However he is not as good as Jordan.  Why?  Because Jordan would carry the team durinf crunch time and i have never see him not deliver in a last shot or elimination game.  James has not shown that knack to come through in the clutch.