• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Interesting Stat

NachoPop

4 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

All but two teams in the AL not winning their divisions have a negative run differential. The Yankees and the Rangers.

How is it even possible for the Rangers at this point,, they must have had some huge blowouts at some points.  
Edit:  I went and looked and yeah, when they win they tend to win big.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What's the Angels run differential?  Anyone?  We used to get regular updates on this when we were playing poorly.  

Currently ranked 6th in the AL at -4; this is a team that doesn't get blown out much at all, the great majority of the games seem to be in doubt late.   That's what pitching and defense can do.

I wish they would break that down somewhere by month but i couldnt find it without doing it manually so i did the math real quick (probably a bit off as did in my head) and for the second half we are 134-111 or a RD of +23.  So since we are -RD overall this means that in the first half we were -27ish?    Late june early July were a large part of the with a few double digit-ish losses

Timely hits?

I still can't put a whole lot of value in these contrived sutuational stats.

Here is why.

A guy gets a one out double bases empty.

The next guy doubles him in.   This guy gets all the credit for hitting with a runner in scoring position but the raw fact is he did exactly what the first guy did.  They both doubled.  There is literally no more value in the second double as the first.  None.

A grand slam in the 3rd inning to tie the game gets no credit for being "clutch" (It wasn't close or late) but a guy that struck out with the bases loaded three times in a game (choked 3 times im big at bats) that then gets an infield single in the eight to pull one run ahead is Mr. Clutch?

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Timely hits?

Here is why.

The next guy doubles him in.   This guy gets all the credit for hitting with a runner in scoring position but the raw fact is he did exactly what the first guy did.  They both doubled.  There is literally no more value in the second double as the first.  None.

A grand slam in the 3rd inning to tie the game gets no credit for being "clutch" (It wasn't close or late) but a guy that struck out with the bases loaded three times in a game (choked 3 times im big at bats) that then gets an infield single in the eight to pull one run ahead is Mr. Clutch?

What?!?  The second double carries much more value.  It scores the run.  I'll take 3 doubles in a row than 6 doubles stranded over 9 innings.  

4 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Timely hits?

Here is why.

Again, 9th inning offense.  If timely hits were real a thing, then clutch would really be a thing.  For some guys it is, for most, it's just hot streak or coincidence.  9th inning offense, that can be habit forming. 

11 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was questioning that you included it as a characteristic you can seek to assemble on a team: like speed or defense or power.

It's more of a coincidence. 

I wouldn't seek it as a characteristic in team building, not unless it was something that was consistently measurable.  Some guys it is, most it's more of a coincidence.  But 9th inning offense, while you don't seek it in team building, it tends to be habitual, in a similar manner that 1st inning scoring is.