• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Way to go Matt Shoemaker

Chuck

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Orange County casual Angels fans are fairweather. 

That said, even if I still lived in So. Cal I wouldn't go as much. I mean when I was living there, I only attended 10-12 games a season. Honestly I prefer watching at home.

The Angels play the M's at least 9 times up here at Safeco Field and I go to about 6-8 of the games.

Since "12", I've dramatically reduced my attendance for various reasons....

But yeah, I agree with you for the most part!

Too much opportunity for amusement here, for the casual fan.

19 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

They pretty much have to sign a starter this offseason. Unfortunately there aren't really any decent options.

Promote Smith as the #5 starter, and if Santiago can continue to pitch like he has over his last 4 starts, I think we need not sign any more starters. 

Shoemaker, Santiago, Tropeano, Skaggs, and Smith in 2017. In 2018 we get Heaney and Richards back and we will set for a few years in the starting pitching. I still think we need to trade Escobar for a left fielder that can hit and give 3B to Cowart.

3 hours ago, Ace_Shoemaker? said:

Promote Smith as the #5 starter, and if Santiago can continue to pitch like he has over his last 4 starts, I think we need not sign any more starters. 

Shoemaker, Santiago, Tropeano, Skaggs, and Smith in 2017. In 2018 we get Heaney and Richards back and we will set for a few years in the starting pitching. I still think we need to trade Escobar for a left fielder that can hit and give 3B to Cowart.

Where's the depth? If one of those guys gets hurt (they will), who replaces them?

16 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Where's the depth? If one of those guys gets hurt (they will), who replaces them?

I'm sure we'll sign someone to be a #3 or #4 or guy in our rotation, then we'll have one of Nate Smith, Kyle McGowin, Victor Alcantara and Troy Scribner for depth.  

12 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think the only person who compared Shoe to Richards was Chuck and I believe he did it half tongue-in-cheek. There's no question Richards is a better overall pitcher with the best stuff on the team. 

But, his career has been slightly disappointing. He's got a golden arm but keeps getting injured, and seems to have a head full of mush. Shoemaker on the other hand has greatly outperformed any expectations one could have had for him, given his minor league career. 

Why would you consider Richards' career disappointing?  When he was drafted, every scout believed him to be nothing more than a reliever you take a chance on.  When he was coming up through the system, I'd tell everyone about his four "plus" pitches and all that was said around AW was "we should trade him before he has no value".  Once he got up the majors, he was a bit underwhelming and most on AW thought he'd never pan out.  Other than IP, Doc and I, there really weren't any Richards believers. 

He went on to dominate and has since dealt with injuries, one of the freak nature, the other of an all too common nature.

My point is, practically no one expected him o become a staff as, and the fact that he has, has made him an overwhelming success.  Far from a bust.  

38 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I didn't say he was a bust. 

Also he was considered a top 100 prospect after his fantastic 2011 at Arkansas so don't toot your own horn too much. The expectations for him far outweighed those of Shoemaker. 

Misquoted, you said his career has been disappointing. My point remains the same, I think he's been the opposite of disappointing.

One out of three of the major prospect sites rated him at the backend of the top 100. It isn't like those guys had any idea he was going to be a staff ace. But there were some of us (I can think of a three others) that saw the stuff and said "yeah, he looks like an ace".

On 7/16/2016 at 9:11 PM, nate said:

Tropeano is definitely not going to be in the rotation next year (TJ) and unless Richards is a medical miracle he will also miss the season.

On 7/16/2016 at 9:15 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Well Tropeano has pitched for several years (HS, Minors) and still hasn't had any elbow issues, I don't know why you think he would now. 

Yes, I'm being optimistic about Richards', but even if he can't go I wouldn't mind having Nate Smith as our 5th starter. 

JINNNNNXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 7/16/2016 at 8:38 PM, fan_since79 said:

You can't trade him. No way. He's turning into a legit ace before our very eyes.

That took guts to hang in there at the end and get those two strikeouts. He's finally coming into his own.

He is an enigma, going unsigned out of college and becoming what he is now. I must admit I would never have predicted this turn around of his season. If only we could score runs when he is on the mound. He can't throw a complete game shutout every time he pitches.