• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Randal Grichuk

Chuck

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I would take him in a heartbeat over anything we've put in LF over the last two years.  

i know he doesn't total resolve our problem, but with him out there I'd have a modicum of hope.

I'd take it back further than that. I'd take him in a heartbeat over anything we have had in left field since that season Trout spent a bit of time there.

Grichuk probably ends up a 110 or so wRC+ hitter with a good glove. He is still cheap and under club control for years. That makes him a pretty damn valuable player.

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

We have crap on the roster but Grichucks stats does not put him better than Calhoun, nor Escobar. In fact even Poopholes is doing better. The Angels have a fucked up lineup right now but it doesn't mean Grichuck would be a real improvement, he is what he is, an 81 OPS+ replacement level payer. Maybe he is better than that but he really has to put it on the field to prove it.

Technically, he's a career 109 OPS+ hitter.  He isnt the 130+ OPS+ hitter he showed up last year -- neither is he the 80 OPS+ hitter we have seen this year.   He's a 24 year old OF with a CF capable arm/glove and the ability to hit for power.   If he proves to be nothing better than his current career .250/.305/.475 hitter his glove will make him a valuable player.

I'm definitely biased in favor of guys like Grichuk, -- everyone wants to see good on base skills, but beyond that I love power/glove guys and when we are talking pitchers, guys with plus FBs and the ability to induce GBs...

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think @Inside Pitch needs to eat crow on Grichuk or am I thinking he's done as a player, just wanted to note that he's been struggling this season when everyone was pissed that we traded him. 

If IP eats crow on any player, it will be Phillip Hughes. :)

Meh, I don't mind catching heat on Grichuk, I was calling for a breakout when he was having that bad AA season -- it's only natural I catch some flak...   As far as Hughes goes, he's tanking, but at least he's not Matt Garza!!!

LOL - that Garza/Hughes back and forth was pretty fun.   

10 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That's what I'm wondering. Seriously?

I don't want to speak for Blarg, but I think he's making fun of the mass number of Randal Grichuk is the second coming posts that sprouted up after he had his breakthrough last year.   I dont think he's ever said he wouldn't have liked to see them keep him, if anything I think he's said the team thought they were set in the OF and moved him to try to get something we didn't have.

24 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

You really wouldn't want Grichuk?

He was worth a 3.0 WAR in his age 23 season. Potential is there, definitely. He's not doing very well this year, but his speed, defense, and power makes him a solid overall player and someone I would definitely want in my line up. Sadly, with his 0.4 WAR and .210 average, he has still been more valuable than Pujols this year.

Like the others are saying, Grichuk should have no problem being a 3 + WAR player in the future. I would love to have that.

I do  not want another 81 OPS+ player. His age 23 season he only played 120 games. Peter Bourjos put up his best stats his age 24 season and then never played at the same level. Jean Segura age 23, traded away and had a really terrific three months which had everyone screaming how could they let him go? Next two seasons he is a 70 OPS+ player.

So before you start hitching your wagon to the guy, make sure he's really the guy. So far, he's not really the guy in St.Louis, replaced by a 28 year old AAAA guy.

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Meh, I don't mind catching heat on Grichuk, I was calling for a breakout when he was having that bad AA season -- it's only natural I catch some flak...   As far as Hughes goes, he's tanking, but at least he's not Matt Garza!!!

LOL - that Garza/Hughes back and forth was pretty fun.   

Yeah.... Garza has been a disaster.  

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't want to speak for Blarg, but I think he's making fun of the mass number of Randal Grichuk is the second coming posts that sprouted up after he had his breakthrough last year.   I dont think he's ever said he wouldn't have liked to see them keep him, if anything I think he's said the team thought they were set in the OF and moved him to try to get something we didn't have.

I don't have anything against Grichuck and he could just be slumping hard for a true Sophomore jinx. But I also don't to waste resources to get him back to see if that's all it is. Let St. Louis figure it out and let's all move on to a long term solution instead of all the hindsight bullshit.

Yeah -- far as I can tell your stance has always been one of ... "why cry over spilled milk".   I don't bring Grichuk up cause I can't stand hindsight is 20/20 type posts either -- one day I might even have the willpower to not respond when someone else does.

(That day will likely never come)

Onwards and upwards....  

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I mean, Grichuk hasn't hit and he's still sporting a 1.5 bWAR..   Calhoun's sitting at 1.4.   That's always been the thing with Grichuk -- he has a glove to fall back on when his bat is flat.

Calhoun won a Gold Glove 

5 hours ago, Lou said:

Calhoun won a Gold Glove 

Well, my comments about Grichuk weren't meant to imply Calhoun doesn't have a glove -- but since you mentioned it, I went to look....   Grichuk's 10 DRS in CF ranks second only to Kevin Pillar.   Kole's sitting at -4 DRS in RF, just ahead of Mark Trumbo at -5.

I wish we still had both of them.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Well, my comments about Grichuk weren't meant to imply Calhoun doesn't have a glove -- but since you mentioned it, I went to look....   Grichuk's 10 DRS in CF ranks second only to Kevin Pillar.   Kole's sitting at -4 DRS in RF, just ahead of Mark Trumbo at -5.

He's at -2 DRS for his career. I've long wondered if he is one of those guys who looks really good because he makes some nice catches but actually might be making some plays others wouldn't find so difficult look harder than they actually are. That's not to say he isn't a good player, and you can't argue with his arm, but I've always wondered if his overall defense is a bit overrated.

1 minute ago, Oz27 said:

He's at -2 DRS for his career. I've long wondered if he is one of those guys who looks really good because he makes some nice catches but actually might be making some plays others wouldn't find so difficult look harder than they actually are. That's not to say he isn't a good player, and you can't argue with his arm, but I've always wondered if his overall defense is a bit overrated.

I think it's another example of why will people question the credibility of defensive metrics.   Calhoun has a knack for closing on a ball in a dramatic fashion -- that always tends to up a guy's profile..  He's likely a bit overrated defensively but not in the Derek Jeter way.

6 hours ago, sneaky_flute said:

Admittedly, I don't know how battled ball data is calculated on Fangraphs, but I think it's a very small part of the equation. Grichuk reminds me of JP Arencibia who's also had decent batted ball profiles but has never been a good hitter. 

JP Arencibia is someone who could be a potential outcome for Grichuk -- Josh Reddick is another.  Arencibia is a guy who was always highly touted in large part because of his batted ball profiles and his ability to play C - it just never materialized.   I think one of the reasons Grichuk snuck up on people is few realized he could be an everyday CF...   The glove really is his safety net.

I just don't get it.

People are adamant about their desire to trade Matt Shoemaker who has had and is having real success at the major league level, yet the same people think that a guy like Grichuk who is getting closer to the minors everyday is someone that's worthy of reacquiring!

I mean seriously?

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

I just think he's going to be a pretty good player in this league and that it was a bad trade for us. Pretty simple.

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

He is struggling right now. I acknowledge that. Young players struggle sometimes.

You seem to be pretty forgiving of his "struggles" and are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, yet you are adamant about trading Matt Shoemaker who has had and is having success at the major league level unlike Grichuk who looks like he's heading back to the minors unless he turns it around.

"Who said anything about reacquiring him? The only post I saw about reacquiring him was when someone said "Maybe we can get him for Salas"."

lol So, someone did indeed inquire about reacquiring him..no? lol