• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Per MLBTR: Cubs have reached out to Angels for pitching help

Mark68

Gott is probably our most valuable reliever right now.  Can't trade him.  Don't have the relief depth to cover it.  Dude is 95-98 with movement.  

If there is any way they could get Schwarber without giving up Richards, they should do it.  I just don't think it's even possible considering that they wouldn't give him up for Hamels.  

The best thing that could happen is that the cubs continue to win and see an opportunity to make the postseason.  

Schwarber is a hitter without a position now...probably a year in minors away from below ave playable in the OF

hammels comes with 20million attached to him per year.    that is the positive to a santiago...controllable for next few years.  

i see gott doing well...but so do they.    maybe they can take cam :)  i am ready!!!!

ya unfortunately i am an angel fan and not wanting to give players away...especially one doing well, that is left handed and low cost.

it would have to be for something big to take him out of our rotation now.    its not benR   I would be ok with dodgers alexG   santiago being the key player in trade with a minor leaguer or two in package.

yep...thats the way it works.     

angels looking for immediate impact bat....cubs looking for immediate impact pitcher.   

big laker fan and following the draft and trade talks now...its the same thing on both sides of kings and laker boards.    i am getting sick to my stomach thinking they could take all three(2, clarkson and randall)   when maybe all we need to do is just get aldridge and keep everything.    

Schwarber isn't available, I can tell you that right now. Best bat in the minors. But if he somehow were made available, you're talking Newcomb, Nat Delgado, Santiago and a lower minor RP like Jonah Wesely.

Could we afford that price? Yeah. Should we pay that? Maybe. Would the Cubs accept it? No. Why? Because even though we're offering to pay a fair price, Schwarber just isn't available.

It's sort of like Trout. Let's say a team literally offers a billion dollars and Giancarlo Stanton for Trout. Yeah, fair offer but you just don't trade those guys.

Schwarber isn't available, I can tell you that right now. Best bat in the minors. But if he somehow were made available, you're talking Newcomb, Nat Delgado, Santiago and a lower minor RP like Jonah Wesely.

Could we afford that price? Yeah. Should we pay that? Maybe. Would the Cubs accept it? No. Why? Because even though we're offering to pay a fair price, Schwarber just isn't available.

It's sort of like Trout. Let's say a team literally offers a billion dollars and Giancarlo Stanton for Trout. Yeah, fair offer but you just don't trade those guys.

Go ahead and put me in the camp of, "I would trade Trout for Stanton and $1 billion".

Schwarber is a hitter without a position now...probably a year in minors away from below ave playable in the OF

hammels comes with 20million attached to him per year.    that is the positive to a santiago...controllable for next few years.  

i see gott doing well...but so do they.    maybe they can take cam :)  i am ready!!!!

He can DH now, though.

Go ahead and put me in the camp of 'Kyle Schwarber is available because he is one of the top bats in the Minors with a Cubs-promoted position of catcher which will not allow his premium bat to be in the lineup every single day like it should be".

Yes the Cubs may be greedy and keep him. I could totally understand that. I also think that if the Cubs record tanks in the next 30 days they will hold onto him for now.

However if they continue to win, they will face a decision THIS year to upgrade their rotation and the Angels are a club that has pitching to trade.

Despite his stellar numbers in the Minors he is still only a prospect!!!! Brandon Wood was a prospect. Mike Trout was a prospect. There is an infinite amount of shades in between those two (and some not between). Don't wildly overvalue Kyle's current acquisition cost (assuming he's available in trade) because it's not quite as high as you think it is (and I will admit it is certainly not low either).

As I've said previously Schwarber has the type of bat that must be in a lineup every day. A National League team is a more difficult fit especially if the Cubs are trying him out at catcher (which by the way is a wonderful way to up his price in the trade market). If they keep him at catcher they are wasting his best talent (hitting) by under utilizing it.

The Cubs could just as likely find a trade partner that doesn't require them to send off Schwarber or even Baez as their system is deep. But I feel like the Angels are tantalizingly close to actually making this one happen.

Lou feel free to bump this thread later as I'll probably eat crow but I'm standing by it.

Go ahead and put me in the camp of 'Kyle Schwarber is available because he is one of the top bats in the Minors with a Cubs-promoted position of catcher which will not allow his premium bat to be in the lineup every single day like it should be".

Yes the Cubs may be greedy and keep him. I could totally understand that. I also think that if the Cubs record tanks in the next 30 days they will hold onto him for now.

However if they continue to win, they will face a decision THIS year to upgrade their rotation and the Angels are a club that has pitching to trade.

Despite his stellar numbers in the Minors he is still only a prospect!!!! Brandon Wood was a prospect. Mike Trout was a prospect. There is an infinite amount of shades in between those two (and some not between). Don't wildly overvalue Kyle's current acquisition cost (assuming he's available in trade) because it's not quite as high as you think it is (and I will admit it is certainly not low either).

As I've said previously Schwarber has the type of bat that must be in a lineup every day. A National League team is a more difficult fit especially if the Cubs are trying him out at catcher (which by the way is a wonderful way to up his price in the trade market). If they keep him at catcher they are wasting his best talent (hitting) by under utilizing it.

The Cubs could just as likely find a trade partner that doesn't require them to send off Schwarber or even Baez as their system is deep. But I feel like the Angels are tantalizingly close to actually making this one happen.

Lou feel free to bump this thread later as I'll probably eat crow but I'm standing by it.

Don't forget his small sample size when he was in the lineup for six games with the Cubs: 23 PA, 1 3B, 1 HR, .364/.391/.591/.982.

Five games as DH, one inning as C. If the Cubs trade him, it would most likely be to an AL team where he can just be full-time DH and emergency LF/1B/C.

The Cubs may not be able to find him a position at which he is adequate enough. However, I think he'd be a MORE than adequate DH. He'd probably be productive right now and for the rest of the year as DH.

If Schwarber is traded, it'll be after he's established himself in the majors at which time not only would he be able to bring in that pitcher the Cubs are looking for right now, but also a plethora of prospects. Simply put, there is minimal short term advantage and almost no long term advantage to the Cubs trading Schwarber right now.  There's a ton of upside to keeping him for at least a couple more years and the risk of doing such is minimal.  

We can fantasize all we want and debate until we're blue in the face about acquiring Schwarber for Hector Santiago but that just isn't the way it works, no matter how much you thinks it's reasonable or want it.  It just isn't. 

Also, if it counts for anything, I've been in contact with an editor at one of the main Cubs-centric fan sites.  He said there's no way Schwarber's promotion served as a showcase.  The Cubs feel its only a matter of time before he has LF down and the very design of the team is based more on run production rather than run prevention, which Schawrber fits.

Something else of note, after the MLBTR posting, HH went on to say they've had in-depth dialogue.  I'd just like to point out that HH is absolute crap as a site, and they are full of $#1+ if they're claiming to have explicit knowledge of Dipoto's personal conversations.  No one has those.  Sure, there's info on prospects and scouting all the time, but actual GM leaks, nope, not from the Angels at least.   These are all disciples of Rev Halo Fan, don't pay that infection any mind lest you wish it spread. 

If Schwarber is traded, it'll be after he's established himself in the majors at which time not only would he be able to bring in that pitcher the Cubs are looking for right now, but also a plethora of prospects. Simply put, there is minimal short term advantage and almost no long term advantage to the Cubs trading Schwarber right now.  There's a ton of upside to keeping him for at least a couple more years and the risk of doing such is minimal.  

We can fantasize all we want and debate until we're blue in the face about acquiring Schwarber for Hector Santiago but that just isn't the way it works, no matter how much you thinks it's reasonable or want it.  It just isn't. 

Also, if it counts for anything, I've been in contact with an editor at one of the main Cubs-centric fan sites.  He said there's no way Schwarber's promotion served as a showcase.  The Cubs feel its only a matter of time before he has LF down and the very design of the team is based more on run production rather than run prevention, which Schawrber fits.

Something else of note, after the MLBTR posting, HH went on to say they've had in-depth dialogue.  I'd just like to point out that HH is absolute crap as a site, and they are full of $#1+ if they're claiming to have explicit knowledge of Dipoto's personal conversations.  No one has those.  Sure, there's info on prospects and scouting all the time, but actual GM leaks, nope, not from the Angels at least.   These are all disciples of Rev Halo Fan, don't pay that infection any mind lest you wish it spread. 

Oh, I know they weren't showcasing Schwarber for a trade. They simply wanted an extra bat to DH for the 6 games they had in AL parks. Just so happens that it's the perfect position for an all-bat no-field "catching/left field" prospect.

Scotty I never said they were showcasing Schwarber and I don't read Halo's Heaven, not sure why you would think I do. Angelswin.com satisfies me 100% and I read multiple top baseball writers around the Nation.

What I do have is a brain and a personal opinion that I like to share on here from time to time. You claim no one can know Dipoto's personal thoughts and trade conversations and neither do you when it comes to understanding Theo Epstein's thoughts and trade conversations.

I'd also like to point out that if you are willing and/or trying to trade a player that you don't disparage that player or devalue them in any way. In fact you will try to highlight how good they are and even claim that you would never trade them if they are really that good. It's the politics of trade negotiations.

I've very clearly noted that if the Cubs are out of it this season they won't trade Schwarber at this moment in time and perhaps never. But once again when you think LOGICALLY about Schwarber's positional home and the value of his bat being in the lineup every day, the only position that makes sense to place him is in left field, which some evaluators called his defense fringe.

Catcher is a waste of his bat (but certainly has value in certain aspects if he can actually develop into a decent catcher). The Cubs don't have a DH most of the time. Certainly they may not mind having his fringe defense in left field in exchange for his bat.

If, and I certainly delineated this carefully in my other post above, the Cubs are in contention over the next 30 days you'll see them forced to make a move to acquire starting pitching, in particular a LH starter. Whether that is from the Angels or not remains to be seen but we are a definite source of LHP without a doubt.

Whether that is Hector Santiago (your suggestion not mine), Wilson, Heaney, or some other combination is anyone's guess. The Cubs will have to determine what is best for their future and if that means trading a hot young PROSPECT (and he is still only a prospect he's not some God, Scotty) then you do it if it helps your team to reach their goal. No prospect is truly untouchable.

Finally as I said above Scotty, I think there is a possibility here for a trade. Is it likely? At this time I'd put the chances at below 10%. But if the Cub's continue to improve in the standings the odds of it go up higher as we approach the deadline (and I'd put that at no more than 25% or so).

You seem to forget that pennants fly forever and if the Cubs get a chance to strike and make the playoffs you better damn well believe they will consider all options even if it means trading away a top prospect if the result means even a small chance to bring the club their first World Series Championship.

Theo isn't an idiot. The only person the Cubs should jettison is Castro. Put Russell at short, Baez at 2nd, Bryant at 3rd, and Schwarber in LF or RF. There's other ways to get pitching than trading away one of your top prospects, which won't happen unless we overwhelm them with a deal.

Theo isn't an idiot. The only person the Cubs should jettison is Castro. Put Russell at short, Baez at 2nd, Bryant at 3rd, and Schwarber in LF or RF. There's other ways to get pitching than trading away one of your top prospects, which won't happen unless we overwhelm them with a deal.

Schwarber is all bat, no glove.

He's a future DH.