• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

My Vent/Assessment Of This Series

Having thought about it over and over all night and today after being devastated, I have to agree that last night there were some bad managerial decisions. The main one I had a problem with was not pinch hitting for Ianetta to bunt over Cron. But that's not the whole story.

As far as assessing the lineup from top to bottom and putting a couple of players under the microscope, I would say Kole was great and we're lucky to have him. Trout is obviously showing his nerves and inexperience and these first two games have been absolutely painful to watch. But I'm sure he will learn. I really believe that Tori was a huge influence on him the first year as far as his approach going the other way. We've seen him slowly fade away from that from 2012 to now. He really needs to shorten his swing and stop trying go yard every at bat. As well as start trying to jump on that first pitch ocassionally. It's like poker, switch up your patterns sometimes.

As far as Albert, 1 for 8 obviously ain't getting it done but that RBI single going the other way was very nice nice and showed me a little something.

Howie was, well Howie. Don't get me started. I can't really call him out since the offense as a whole, with exception of Calhoun was horrid. Any way you look at it, it's only 2 games.

Hamilton really does seem like a team chemistry killer, I must say. Call it conjecture, call me crazy. I'm not sure what to do with him. Cron showed some promise I thought at times.

The pitching was obviously a positive as well, with the exception of Salas and Jepsen.

I have to hand it to the Royals. They are playing lock down defense and their pitching is tough. But we had several chances to win both of these games and that's the most frustrating part.

By the way, I can't say how game 1 was as far as the crowd. Game 2 the fans and the entire stadium were into it. Possibly questionable mic placement on TBS' part? Who knows.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone here will be watching and hoping on Sunday and who knows, stranger things have happened.

Pitching has been better than we could have ever hoped for. The offense has been anemic at times (harkens back to the beginning of the season) but the Royals have a good pitching staff. Angels could easily be up 2-0 right now. What worries me is that our best starters have already pitched and now we are matched up with Shields. I don't think we are going to get another pitching performance like the first two out of Nibs so the offense damn well better wake up. Also don't like the prospect of Weaver going on short rest in Game 4 but that's the least of our problems at the moment.

Edited by dimitrig

That's the thing. I'm not worried too much about Weaver in game 4. CJ was are weakest link before we lost these last two, now we have him going with our season on the line. Sosh better have the shortest leash possible on him.

But the thing is, with the current state of our offense, it's not gonna matter how good our pitching is.

Having said that. If by some miracle we get past game 3. Weaver in game 4 and Shoe in 5. You never know. I think we're overdue for a few good rolls.

That's the thing. I'm not worried too much about Weaver in game 4. CJ was are weakest link before we lost these last two, now we have him going with our season on the line. Sosh better have the shortest leash possible on him.

But the thing is, with the current state of our offense, it's not gonna matter how good our pitching is.

Having said that. If by some miracle we get past game 3. Weaver in game 4 and Shoe in 5. You never know. I think we're overdue for a few good rolls.

I'm worried about Weave's 3-days' rest.

Hamilton really does seem like a team chemistry killer, I must say. Call it conjecture, call me crazy. I'm not sure what to do with him. 

That dugout photo with the entire team except Hamilton standing against the railing obviously into the game spoke volumes.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

my complaints in the managerial decision part are:

1.) putting Hamilton on the post-season roster and then starting him.

2.) not PH for Hamilton for his last AB in Game One after his terrible ABs proved he's not really ready to be back on the roster, in the line up.

3.) starting Hamilton in Game Two.

4.) I think it's game two -- but when Kole Calhoun got to a 3-1 count and they kept the bunt on -- wouldn't have done that -- Calhoun popped out to 3B on a weak bunt effort.

Other than that -- zero complaints about the starting pitching.......the offense has been stifled -- but then the Royals (particularly the OF) has played some lights out Defense. That ball that Howie hit and got caught by I think it was Aoki, might have been Cain -- anyway -- that ball could not have been hit harder.

Royals are schooling Scioscia and the Angels on how to REALLY play small ball -- the greyhounds (Dyson and Gore) they have for the late innings certainly help.  What those guys do is rattle our pitching so much, the hitter at the plate is getting better pitches to hit because the pitcher is falling behind on the count worried about the runner.

my complaints in the managerial decision part are:

1.) putting Hamilton on the post-season roster and then starting him.

2.) not PH for Hamilton for his last AB in Game One after his terrible ABs proved he's not really ready to be back on the roster, in the line up.

3.) starting Hamilton in Game Two.

4.) I think it's game two -- but when Kole Calhoun got to a 3-1 count and they kept the bunt on -- wouldn't have done that -- Calhoun popped out to 3B on a weak bunt effort.

Other than that -- zero complaints about the starting pitching.......the offense has been stifled -- but then the Royals (particularly the OF) has played some lights out Defense. That ball that Howie hit and got caught by I think it was Aoki, might have been Cain -- anyway -- that ball could not have been hit harder.

Royals are schooling Scioscia and the Angels on how to REALLY play small ball -- the greyhounds (Dyson and Gore) they have for the late innings certainly help.  What those guys do is rattle our pitching so much, the hitter at the plate is getting better pitches to hit because the pitcher is falling behind on the count worried about the runner.

Having those speedsters on the roster has really helped KC. I really though Campana would be on the roster to fill the role Figgins did in 2002, but whoever made that decision obviously knows a hell of a lot more about winning playoff games than I do. Oh, and it was game 1. Taking the bat out of the hands of the guy who had almost had a home run and had a line drive single earlier in the game and pretty much never bunted in his career, from what I can remember.

Edited by gurn67

Complaint: Angels offense laid an egg both games. They had multiple silver platter opportunities and blew them. This is not on Sosh, nor Hamilton, both whom haven't been perfect. Big bats have been dormant. It's on them.

If the Angels can take game three with CJ hopefully performing well and the offense finally waking up then I'm confident with Weave and Shoe getting the job done in games four and five.

Enjoy the ride,

Mad props to Kansas City.  They are playing at an extremely high level on defense and in the pitching department.  They remind me of the A's of the first half of the season.  When the Angels have struggled this year it's usually been with runners in scoring position.  Often when you focus too much a a really negative thing, you keep inviting it to happen over and over again because of the added pressure.  All of that said, this series is just a couple of well placed hits away from being 2-0 Angels.  I'm sure the Nationals feel the same way this morning.  As for Hamilton, I would play him him in all three games, even if only 75% healthy.  He has made some really nice plays in the field despite his struggles at the plate.  This was always the plan from the day they acquired him, he's a great athlete when he is right.  His swing has become very high maintenance, but the team invested a lot of time and money in Josh and there was initially a compelling reason to do that, and we should let it play completely out.  If that plan doesn't work, this one is squarely on Arte, he acquired him and he is the only one who can reverse that now.  Let's hope we can find a way to wiggle off the hook today, or it will suddenly be another long off season, and I'm not much of a football, basketball or hockey fan.

I throw a big chunk of blame for the loss on Friday at Iannetta. Terrible framing, and two horrid throws to second. How do you not throw out a runner on a pitchout? His throwing is atrocious. I like him at the plate  but not behind it. 

Sosh must have missed all that.

He refused to ph Conger for him IN  PERHAPS THE BEST bunting situation of the series .

At this point I am not counting on the Angels coming back, but I don't see a lot of moves that can be done based on this series. Sure Hamilton should not have been playing. I wonder of course who made the decision that he was ready to go.

I really expected to be lamenting about the pitching performances of the Angels, not about the offense not showing at all. Also I think Salas is getting a bad rap in game one. It was one bad pitch, and even then a slow breaking ball should not go out at night in October.

I do know I am recording this game and will go visit my sister, instead of watching every minute of the game like I did the the last two.