• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angelsjunky

I can't help but be bummed out that Trout might end the year with a BA below .290. While .300 has historically been considered an excellent BA, .290 to me is still very good. I know it is just a number, but it still feels disappointing - a 30+ point drop from his last two years. I really hope that our boy works on making adjustments so he doesn't strike out 180+ times next year!

And now for some nerdery. Here would be his final batting average depending upon how he does tonight:

0-4: .286

0-3: .287

0-2: .287

0-1: .288

1-4: .288

1-3: .289

1-2: .289

1-1: .290

2-4: .290

2-3: .290

2-2: .291

3-4: .291

3-3: .292

4-4: .293

So basically he needs to get either two or more hits or go 1-1 to reach .290.

#1 in the AL in

Runs

RBI

Adjusted OPS+

Total Bases

Runs Created

WAR

Batting average is not a big deal, considering his overall dominance.

Still like to see his average, OBP, and stolen bases up though. All of those things he lead's in, all of the things he hasn't done as well this year (average, OBP, and stolen bases), plus his power potential are what make Trout such a beast. 

I remember early last year he started slow his stance was just about straight up and down, he said he felt more powerful upright that way. But then he talked with pujols I believe and Albert got him to bend his knees more and close up the stance a bit, he went off. This year, he's been straight up and down almost all year.

#1 in the AL in

Runs

RBI

Adjusted OPS+

Total Bases

Runs Created

WAR

Batting average is not a big deal, considering his overall dominance.

Yes, of course. What I said is in the context of him still being great. But BA is part of OBP and SLG and overall offensive performance. Trout's huge amount of strikeouts this year (183) have drastically impacted his average, which in term has reduced his OBP and made his SLG less impressive than it could have been. Note also that while he still leads the majors in fWAR, he's not as dominant as he was last year. The gap between him and the rest of the league has narrowed. Yeah, he's still the best in the game - but I am a tad concerned about the reduction in BA (as well as SB and defense, and the fact that he has slowed down a bit this year).

Still like to see his average, OBP, and stolen bases up though. All of those things he lead's in, all of the things he hasn't done as well this year (average, OBP, and stolen bases), plus his power potential are what make Trout such a beast. 

Exactly. I'm concerned that he's turning from a player that can do everything (except throw) at a very high level, to a more specialized player that is still great, but not absurdly great.

He's great.  

.253 is the AL batting average. 

Yeah, he is great - but not as great as he was last year or the year before. The bottom line is that Trout 2012-13 > Trout 2014. And a lot of that is exemplified by his greatly reduced batting average.

It's the K's that bum me out a little about him, particularly the backwards ones. A K is just a worthless plate appearance, and if he would've just swung at 1/4 of the borderline pitches that he got rung up on this year, I gotta think that at least 1/6th of those would have resulted in a hit (duck fart, leg hit, etc). The kid is so strong and fast that simply making contact causes problems for the defense. After what Baylor said after he got hired regarding strikeouts, I thought we would see a significant drop team-wide this year. Hasn't happened with the young messiah...

We haven't seen the best of Trout yet. Not even close. He only just turned 23. I think there will be 1-2 seasons pretty soon where he's just going to be off the charts. I'm talking .330 BA, an OBP north of .400, 40 doubles, 40 HR's and 40 SB and his usual sparkling defense.

I hope so, but there is no way he's hitting .330 while striking out 180+ times, maybe not striking out 150 times. Strikeouts have been Trout's Achilles Heel, yet last year he seemed to improve greatly. But this year he took a huge step backwards as show by his strikeout rate:

2012: 21.8%

2012: 19.0%

2013: 26.0%

Or look at his first and second half numbers this year:

First half: .310/.400/.606, 186 wRC, 23.3%

Second half: .259/.349/.506, 143 wRC, 29.8%

That's a bit troubling. I think he'll adjust, and that even if he remains at ~25% k rate he'll be great, but not as great as you suggest, Scotty, unless he can get that rate down to at least 20-22%.

He isn't chasing a lot of pitches.  His O-Swing % is the 16th lowest out of 147 qualified batters. 

He isn't making contact with pitches in the zone.  112 out of 147. 

Hard to be accountable for chasing pitches when he stares at first pitch strike one then argues the third called strike.

That included guys like Raul Ibanez.

Altuve leads the AL in batting average at .340, hits at 223 and has a .827 OPS. He will be ignored for MVP.

If Trout had the pitch selection skills of Altuve, he would have Ruthian numbers.

He's only 23 and a work in progress. Can you imagine when he hits his peak in a few years, what he might do?

Edited by fan_since79

Yeah, he is great - but not as great as he was last year or the year before. The bottom line is that Trout 2012-13 > Trout 2014. And a lot of that is exemplified by his greatly reduced batting average.

His current 169 OPS+ (which leads the AL), is actually higher than his 168 (when he lead the AL), from two years ago.   So you're half right.  

Edited by Inside Pitch