• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

About 100 arrests made during riot at spring break party

I'm a fairly recent UCSB graduate. This stuff just disgusts me. I partied pretty hard and am okay with kids having a great time. I'm fine with college kids fighting the power and protesting and sometimes those will get out of hand. Make sure those causes are worth it. Fighting for your right to party isn't a just cause.

Assaulting a police officer is not okay (unless it's self-defense) and an EMT never is. I am sure all those kids will say they were provoked but in my experience the police in Isla Vista were pretty cool as long as you could stand, didn't try to fight anyone, didn't have an open container and didn't have a weapon. I think that was a pretty fair deal. I probably should have been arrested 50 times in college but never got so much as a ticket.

I always liked to think that UCSB was a fun group of kids who partied but we were good. We had a few numbskulls who would fall off cliffs but we weren't violent. This crosses a major line and I hope they start cracking down on these parties which is too bad because they can be fun.

I wonder how many of those who were arrested aren't even college students.

Kind of like the riots that follow teams winning championships. Certain events just attract people who want to be a**holes and use a big group to try to get away with it.

bingo.

at Cal often when chaos erupted at parties it was started by oakland high school kids just randomly showing up.

I would guess it's the same deal here.

I graduated from UCSB in 2009. The out of towner element that shows up for halloween or floatopia or whatever has gotten progressively more gnar over the last few years.

2009 Floatopia was the best. Everyone had a great time and no one started shit with anyone. Insane how these events turn into shit shows now a days.

I'd never have my kid go to college at UCSB, unless they wanted to major in something that was top 3 in the state at Santa Barbara like Marine Biology(?) or something along those lines.

Why?

It's a great school with nobel laureate professors. I really enjoyed my time there, but also found the curriculum to be extremely competitive with other top rated schools in California.

Why?

It's a great school with nobel laureate professors. I really enjoyed my time there, but also found the curriculum to be extremely competitive with other top rated schools in California.

Because I wouldn't want my kid living on Isla Vista or anywhere near that heathenfest. I've been there a few times and had a friggin' blast, just wouldn't want me kid to go to college there. I know it's a fantastic college, but if my kid wants to go to school for finance or something, I'm sure another college will do just fine.

The only two things I ever heard of happening there that were truly disgusting, before this happened, was when some 44 years back the BofA building in Isla Vista was bombed and several years back when a heavily drugged driver purposefully ran over several people near the UCSB campus one evening.

And I've been there quite a few times since LB and UCSB have been longtime league rivals, plus my daughter and I and my former wife attended their renown Family Vacation Center for a week during the summer from 2004-2008.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I've been to a few IV parties back in my day (Polk High 3 TD's in a game!) and I always thought the students were cool and mellow, but there was always an scuzzy element brought in by some of the non-students who come in just for the parties. Just creepy guys there to scam on the hot chicks or just start trouble. Always see some vatos from the westside too. Cool area, awesome campus, just sometimes can get out of hand.

I've been to a few IV parties back in my day (Polk High 3 TD's in a game!) and I always thought the students were cool and mellow, but there was always an scuzzy element brought in by some of the non-students who come in just for the parties. Just creepy guys there to scam on the hot chicks or just start trouble. Always see some vatos from the westside too. Cool area, awesome campus, just sometimes can get out of hand.

This is exactly it. I graduated in 2011 and never once experienced any problems with students. The real problems came on Halloween and other larger parties when random people from LA and other parts of California came to visit. That's when the true idiots came out.