• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

I'd gladly take Butler for 2-3 years at the amounts being discussed.  If he doesn't turn into a max deal player than you aren't on the hook long term and if he does then you decide whether or not he's the player you want to offer a max deal to.  That said I can't envision the Bulls not matching an offer sheet but you never know.

No thanks to Porzingis.  There's just been way too many busts out of Europe when it comes to guys who get hyped up shortly before the draft.  Obviously there's plenty of players from the US who are busts but when picking at 2 I'd rather go with a more proven (still young but more footage on and played against guys here who while not as fundamentally sound as Europeans are generally stronger) guy like Okafor, Towns or even Russell.  If it was a thinner draft class or the Lakers were picking in the 5-8 range maybe you consider it depending on how the draft plays out and how much you like the guys upside.

Right now I'm leaning more towards Okafor because of his offensive game but I could easily change my mind before the draft.  The only downside is that if he's average at best defensively he's being paired with Randle who is also subpar defensively while also being a bit undersized.  If you've got above average defenders at other positions and/or a very good offense it's less of an issue but only time will tell as the Lakers roster will look  very different in the next few years.  As I said more than once though I'd be happy to see the Lakers end up with either Towns or Okafor.  

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

One week to draft day

If Towns is taken by the Wolves, my concern with taking Okafor over Russell harkens back to Bowie over Jordan, LaRue Martin over everyone, and Michael Olowokandi over everyone.  

Okafor/Randle would create a defensive sieve, not a good thing in today's NBA.   A team HAS to have a defensive presence in the middle.

Lakers could sign Deandre Jordan or Mark Gasol to fill that role, and draft Russell to give them a tall athletic backcourt of Russell and Clarkson. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

There was a 30 for 30 or documentary about Sam Bowie since he's the guy taken in front of MJ. It was quite good and he's an interesting guy who has gone on to have success off the court with race horses. He's also very down to earth and doesn't focus on being the guy taken in front of Jordan. Anyways he had knee concerns coming out of college and those issues plagued him during his career. When he was able to stay on the court he was still a good player and he was a stud in college but of course no one thinks of him that way. Point is he was a big man who had question marks about his knees coming out of college and currently neither Towns nor Okafor have those concerns.

As to Olowakandi that guy came out of a small school during a weak draft on paper. There were major question marks about him coming out but he was drafted because of his size, athleticism and what he may become. It was almost like drafting a European player who hasn't been tested much because of potential. Okafor at 19 is way ahead of Olowakandi when he came out in terms of experience (played in big games), talent and ceiling. If you don't want Okafor I get that but I think you're reaching for a reason with the comparisons. He went into the season being a projected top pick, helped lead Duke to a title and will be a top pick and deservedly so. There's no guarantee he will be a stud but Towns offensive game had a ways to go as well.

I just hope there isn't an injury issue previously unseen with Okafor.

I just don't want to see the first pick this early since 1982 (Worthy at #1) end up not working out well.

In regards to unseen injuries you can say the same thing about every other player in the draft.  If a player passes his physical and doesn't have a history of injuries any concern or worry about what may happen to them in the future is a waste of time.  Some guys come out and play long careers with few injuries like Duncan while others become draft busts like Oden (had injury concerns coming out) because he couldn't stay on the court.

As to the second comment every team wants their pick to work out.  There's no Lebron James or Tim Duncan in this draft and those types of players who are considered safe picks or sure things are few and far between.  

In regards to unseen injuries you can say the same thing about every other player in the draft.  If a player passes his physical and doesn't have a history of injuries any concern or worry about what may happen to them in the future is a waste of time.  Some guys come out and play long careers with few injuries like Duncan while others become draft busts like Oden (had injury concerns coming out) because he couldn't stay on the court.

As to the second comment every team wants their pick to work out.  There's no Lebron James or Tim Duncan in this draft and those types of players who are considered safe picks or sure things are few and far between.  

Pretty much. There's no telling what can happen with any pick. Towns isn't a for sure thing, just as much as Okafor. 

Just feel good the team is in a position to get a potential difference maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61JZLaGwMWk

Edited by Richard

Butler would be great but seems like a real long-shot.  Honestly, I'd like to see him sign a 1-year qualifying offer with Chicago and take our chances signing him after this upcoming season and give up nothing.  It's possible that Chicago recognizes that he won't re-sign longterm and will try to trade him but he will field better offers than we should make.  Maybe he tells Chicago that he will only negotiate longterm with the Lakers and they are stuck taking the best we offer (Clarkson and #27/34). Seems like a longshot.

I would:

*Draft Russell/Anderson/Upshaw

*Sign Kosta Koufos ©, Green, Deng or Carroll (SF), Ed Davis (C/PF)

Clarkson/*Russell

Kobe/Clarkson/Young

D. Green (or Deng/Carroll)/*Anderson

Randle/Davis/Kelly

Koufos/Davis/*Upshaw/Black

OR

*Draft Okafor (or Towns)/Anderson/Upshaw

*Sign Green (or Deng/Carroll), Ed Davis, PG (Lin?)

Clarkson/FA? (Lin?)

Kobe/Clarkson/Young

D. Green (or Deng/Carroll)/*Anderson

Randle/Davis/Kelly

*Okafor (or Towns)/Davis/Black/*Upshaw

It would be one of those things where the Lakers would draft Okafor, then they would draft Russell and then the trade could happen. Lakers would be foolish to trade to move down only to have the team they traded with, trade that pick again to have that team take who the Lakers wanted.

The price for Philly to trade up wouldn't be worth it to them. Especially if it meant settling for Okafor.  Noel could be the shot blocker while Okafor was the low post threat on offense.

The smart pick for the T-Wolves would be to take Towns. But they are dreaming up of a scenario where they can take Okafor, trade Rubio and move up later in the first round to take Tyus Jones. Okafor and Jones are best friends. Jones is a Twin Cities hometown hero. It would be just like this organization to try to attempt this only to have it blow up in their face.

D. Wade has excess mileage (age 33 and 12 NBA seasons), and is finding it hard to make it through a season unscathed these days.

Trading the #2 pick, Randle, AND Clarkson for Cousins would be STUPID.

As good as Cousins is, he has his fair share of issues (both disciplinary, and missing on average 15 games a season over the past 4 years).

Three days to draft day!

Edited by Angel Oracle