• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/19/24 11:35am Pacific): Angels @ Rangers: Soriano on the mound, Schanuel gets a day off, Tucker in LF

• jsnpritchett changed the title to Gameday Thread (5/19/24 11:35am Pacific): Angels @ Rangers: Soriano on the mound, Schanuel gets a day off, Tucker in LF
1 minute ago, Stradling said:

It’s weird, but in a good way.  

Yes, definitely a good thing. He's the most entertaining of the starters right now, at least to me, since he's got the 100+ MPH fastball and the knuckle curve.

Even when Anderson is pitching well, his delivery and overall pitching style bugs me. Sandoval is a pain to watch even when he's doing well, too, just due to his slow pace and mannerisms. Detmers can be entertaining, but he's so inconsistent. I'm sort of neutral on Canning from an entertainment standpoint. 

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

End the Moniak experiment.

Yep.  I mean what is the alternative right now?  I think you give Pillar enough playing time to get traded for anything at the deadline, but after that, there is no real downside to starting Moniak, other than our enjoyment.  On twitter a month or so ago, when he wasn’t getting playing time, I made the joke that all the Fletcher fans turned into Moniak fans.  

Posted (edited)

On the other hand, if the goal with Pillar is to make him a tradeable commodity, starting him against favorable matchups--and sitting him against less favorable ones--might not be a bad thing. Plus, while I pretty much sold on Moniak in the second half of last year, given the fact that the Angels aren't contenders, I don't think there's harm in seeing if he can prove 2023 wasn't a fluke. I don't see him as a piece in a hypothetical next good Angels team in a few years, but he hits a bit, he also can be traded.

Edited by Angelsjunky

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

On the other hand, if the goal with Pillar is to make him a tradeable commodity, starting him against favorable matchups--and sitting him against less favorable ones--might not be a bad thing. Plus, while I pretty much sold on Moniak in the second half of last year, given the fact that the Angels aren't contenders, I don't think there's harm in seeing if he can prove 2023 wasn't a fluke. I don't see him as a piece in a hypothetical next good Angels team in a few years, but he hits a bit, he also can be traded.

I agree. I think people lose sight of the fact that part of why players perform well is because of favorable match ups. But it creates this criticism that isn’t always warranted when they sit the hot hand.  

Pillar has an .876 OPS vs. RHP.

Considering that the alternative is playing Cole Tucker in LF (and he’s not a natural OF), I’d prefer Pillar.

It’s not a huge deal, but it’s not how I’d go about it.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

End the Moniak experiment.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  I mean what is the alternative right now?  I think you give Pillar enough playing time to get traded for anything at the deadline, but after that, there is no real downside to starting Moniak, other than our enjoyment.  On twitter a month or so ago, when he wasn’t getting playing time, I made the joke that all the Fletcher fans turned into Moniak fans.  

We got a lot of shit for this post last night on X. I'm over Moniak. 

1 minute ago, No Roles said:

lorenzen struggling with right handed batters so let's play Moniak tucker over Pillar? like what Washington?

Again, I urge you to relax. 

From Jeff Fletcher's article today:

"On Sunday, Washington could have benched Moniak in favor of veteran Kevin Pillar, who was hitting .432 in his first 11 games with the Angels.

Washington said he wanted to give Moniak the opportunity to get himself going with two consecutive games, after he had played just once in the previous four games.

The Angels are also trying to be careful with Pillar, who is 35 years old. He had played four games in a row before Saturday.

“When Pillar came here, he came here as a guy that was gonna fill in here and there,” Washington said. “He’s hot. I’m not taking that from him. But I’ve got kids that need to play too.”

Pillar is expected to play at least twice in Houston, including Monday against left-hander Framber Valdez."

4 minutes ago, No Roles said:

lorenzen struggling with right handed batters so let's play Moniak tucker over Pillar? like what Washington?

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well said.

(And yes, I know you were replying to No Roles with my quote, but we haven't had enough "Well saids" and "I agrees" around here of late 😞 )

Edited by Angelsjunky

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

Well said.

Well if you and I say the same thing, you research it better and communicate it better, so rather than tell him match ups are part of the reason for Pillar’s success I figured I’d quote you who said it better than I can.