• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/1/24 1pm): Phillies @ Angels: Sandoval on the mound, Pillar in LF

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, daygloman said:

It isn't gonna get better this weekend!

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

That series isn't going to end well for the Halos. 

Cleveland will be the first Tier 1 team the halos play and their record is already 11-20.   I see pain in their future.   Doubt very few on staff up to Arte survives this season 

Edited by Swordsman78

@jsnpritchett when you watch the game what do you watch/see? Just the outcome of the at bat? Or, the opposing hitters at bat?

I watch our hitters setup, stance, in at bat adjustment if one is made? I can tell if their over thinking an at bat like Adel swing to k in the 9th he was looking slider down then had to adjust to a fastball up and he couldn't catch up to the velo high in the upper part of the zone.

Watch the defense if we shift then the pitch sequence, if the pitches called would be effective to get the hitter to hit into your shift. Did the pitcher execute that pitch or sequence successfully?

And I watch the pitchers mechanics including landing, release points, including if they're rushing through their mechanics, landing on their heal, ball of the foot, if they spin off, and then location which may/May not effect the pitch location which works for or against the sequencing and the defensive alignment..

That's what video is good for. You learn a lot by watching the game and breaking it down to its simplicities, intricacies and outcomes.

I would be bored if I just sat their and waited for outcomes... It's also hard to understand why things happen if you do that. Slumps, ineffectiveness, a decrease in abilities etc.

8 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

@jsnpritchett when you watch the game what do you watch/see? Just the outcome of the at bat? Or, the opposing hitters at bat?

I watch our hitters setup, stance, in at bat adjustment if one is made? I can tell if their over thinking an at bat like Adel swing to k in the 9th he was looking slider down then had to adjust to a fastball up and he couldn't catch up to the velo high in the upper part of the zone.

Watch the defense if we shift then the pitch sequence, if the pitches called would be effective to get the hitter to hit into your shift. Did the pitcher execute that pitch or sequence successfully?

And I watch the pitchers mechanics including landing, release points, including if they're rushing through their mechanics, landing on their heal, ball of the foot, if they spin off, and then location which may/May not effect the pitch location which works for or against the sequencing and the defensive alignment..

That's what video is good for. You learn a lot by watching the game and breaking it down to its simplicities, intricacies and outcomes.

I would be bored if I just sat their and waited for outcomes... It's also hard to understand why things happen if you do that. Slumps, ineffectiveness, a decrease in abilities etc.

I have no idea why you're singling me out and lecturing me.  Was it just because I said I thought Merrifield would have been a pointless addition to the team?

16 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Cleveland will be the first Tier 1 team the halos play and their record is already 11-20.   I see pain in their future.   Doubt very few on staff up to Arte survives this season 

I guess since you can’t troll about Nevin any longer, this made up on your own tier BS will be how you annoy everyone this season.

Look, just drop it because the Angels have the 5th worst record in baseball, so it really doesn't matter what team they face, they have little to no chance of winning a series. 

As for the staff, the only people who should be fired are Kuhl and Carpino. Those deadbeats need to be replaced with baseball minds. They have been the single consistent contingent of failure that have never been addressed. 

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I have no idea why you're singling me out and lecturing me.  Was it just because I said I thought Merrifield would have been a pointless addition to the team?

I'm just asking questions in what you see. It was brought up by the Whit comment. However, it's more than that... it's the entirety of the thought process. If it's stats based, analysis of the analytics, or watching the at bats?

Yes, some of these guys are burnt toast. Others are being rushed, and some due to the disabled list are being placed into situations they need time to grow or are biding time for the next one.

Rebuilding does not mean we will have every guy from the Minors play up here for the Big League team. 

We need ownership that will place the Big League team in the best opportunity to win. And the Minor Leagues the Best chance to develop a consistent flow of talent. To be used here or traded for other players.

Also, you seem like a knowledgeable person on here.

Little things going right though...

Schanuel hitting .302/.327/.377 in his last 15 G/53 AB
Rengifo on the year is now hitting a very solid .326/.376/.465/.841 and has already set a career high in SB (9 for 9, his previous high was 6)
Neto is hitting .302/.327/.509 in his last 15 G/53 AB

To me, this is more important than winning a game where we're running out guys like Adrianza and Pillar already. 

What a tough way to lose. 

Gutsy effort by Sandoval. He could have been taken off the hook many times. 

Nice work by the bullpen.

But ... As characterizes a losing team. 

18 Ks by the pitchers. Only 2 early runs allowed. But 10 men left on base when in scoring position. Included man on third no out and one out. 

For whatever reason, Neto moved the wrong way. Allowing the two runs to score. Excuses can be made that it was hard hit and he was screened but he wasn't positionally alert enough. Earlier it was mentioned how he positioned himself right at the edge of the shift rule space. Read and react has to be sharper. 

Ward trying to steal or whatever he was doing also was a preventable mistake. 

A bad time for Adell to have his worst game at the plate. 

As usual, horrible ball/strike calls. For both teams. No wonder there were so many called strikeouts. I counted at least 20 pitches that were far from the strike zone box. Not even marginally close. The broadcasters even stopped talking about it because almost every at bat had egregious calls. I think the last mention was the called strike on Tucker that led him into a defensive swing on the next pitch.

Hard to really get angry about the loss. They played competitively, had some nice things happen. The roster is getting filled by over the hill veterans just trying to stabilize the lineup and add some professionalism.

9 hours ago, rafibomb said:

I’m more bummed with the game Adell had than the loss itself. He’s been having such some amazing at-bats and I hope he doesn’t regress back to what he was. Like @totdprods said, I am already ruling this season out but it’s important to get improvement by our younger “core” players.

Feel bad for Adell, and hope he doesn’t start pressing and trying to be “the guy” with Trout out where it starts reverting him back to bad tendencies. He’s had a good year so far and that was a tough, tough game for him. 

We all have to be patient. This is going to be a tough year. W/L won’t matter. Even positive/negative trends amongst the youngsters might not matter, because we just need time to see how all this plays out. They could be treading water with rushed players just as much as we could be seeing a new annual contender making its first steps. Either way, it’s going to take probably all of 2024 and probably most of 2025 to know. So enjoy what goes right each game and on the farm and hope for the best, if that’s the way you want to enjoy baseball.

200.gif?cid=ebb604e2r4yirk3r572kbbgrbulc

15 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Self ban if angels win 2/3?

Posted (edited)

It’s time for robo ball/strike calling, the calls are seemingly the worst they’ve been.

The ball moves too much too quickly nowadays with the spinning.

Also, it was the second time this season both teams are off Thursday, yet it was a day game.   Did something change with the new players union agreement?

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Feel bad for Adell, and hope he doesn’t start pressing and trying to be “the guy” with Trout out where it starts reverting him back to bad tendencies. He’s had a good year so far and that was a tough, tough game for him. 

What Adell needs to realize is he has SO MUCH power that he doesn't need to swing the bat so godamned hard, and his swing doesn't need to be so big and long, he just needs to make contact and good things will happen.

I think he's realized that more than ever so far this season, so I'm not too worried about 1 game.

As for the rest of the team, the striking out with a RISP and less than 2 outs absolutely kills us, it needs to be drilled into these guys' heads that contact absolutely has to be made.

And that doesn't mean going up there ready to swing at the first pitch no matter where it's thrown, it means you go up to the plate with a plan, waiting until the pitcher makes a mistake and gives you something you can hit. It's just so obvious some of these guys are ready to swing before the pitch is thrown, and of course pitchers can smell that a mile away.

This team has struggled with productive outs for a decade now, and their record has reflected that.

A sacrifice fly seems like such an oddity at this point, I'm actually shocked when they pull one off.

1 minute ago, CaliAngel said:

I think he's realized that more than ever so far this season, so I'm not too worried about 1 game.

The only reason I’m worried about one game is because it’s the one game since Trout went down. Adell doesn’t need to pressure himself now into thinking he is a savior here. Hopefully Ron can keep him grounded and keep stressing that he continue to do what’s given him success this year.

Yesterday looked a lot like Adell pre-2024. 

15 hours ago, totdprods said:

Little things going right though...

Schanuel hitting .302/.327/.377 in his last 15 G/53 AB
Rengifo on the year is now hitting a very solid .326/.376/.465/.841 and has already set a career high in SB (9 for 9, his previous high was 6)
Neto is hitting .302/.327/.509 in his last 15 G/53 AB

To me, this is more important than winning a game where we're running out guys like Adrianza and Pillar already. 

Huh 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

It’s time for robo ball/strike calling, the calls are seemingly the worst they’ve been.

The ball moves too much too quickly nowadays with the spinning.

Also, it was the second time this season both teams are off Thursday, yet it was a day game.   Did something change with the new players union agreement?

I know I’m increasingly in the minority here, but I disagree on robo-umps. The Ump Show gets a lot of play on SportsCenter and social media (some of that is deserved), but the fact is that calling balls and strikes has steadily improved over the past 15 years. In 2022 they were right 92.8% of the time. Last year it was 92.4%. This year, so far, it’s 92.4%, and will likely get better if it follows the trend. I like the human element of calling a game. I don’t think that’s a necessary change.

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah said:

I know I’m increasingly in the minority here, but I disagree on robo-umps. The Ump Show gets a lot of play on SportsCenter and social media (some of that is deserved), but the fact is that calling balls and strikes has steadily improved over the past 15 years. In 2022 they were right 92.8% of the time. Last year it was 92.4%. This year, so far, it’s 92.4%, and will likely get better if it follows the trend. I like the human element of calling a game. I don’t think that’s a necessary change.

My biggest issue with the umpires is that the bad ones aren’t held accountable. If they would weed out the Angel Hernandez’s of the world, there wouldn’t be as big an outcry for robo umps.

2 minutes ago, T.G. said:

My biggest issue with the umpires is that the bad ones aren’t held accountable. If they would weed out the Angel Hernandez’s of the world, there wouldn’t be as big an outcry for robo umps.

This I would agree with. He and CB Buckner need to go. Generally, if we know the names of the officials, it’s likely they messed up pretty badly.