• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB.com's MLB Pipeline Top 100 Prospects: Schanuel (#95) is the only Angel

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospects-who-just-missed-top-100-prospects-list-2024?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Former Angels prospect Edgar Quero made the "just missed" list:

Edgar Quero, C, White Sox
Much like Cartaya, Quero saw his results dip in his first trip to Double-A in 2023. However, Quero skipped over High-A completely in the Angels' system and was the only 20-year-old catcher to get more than 400 plate appearances at the second-highest level of the Minors. The switch-hitter controls the strike zone and utilizes the whole field from both sides, even though he was more powerful from the right side in 2023. He’ll be even more age-appropriate back in Double-A in his age-21 campaign with the White Sox less likely to be aggressive, and his approach could lead to stronger results. Continued defensive improvements behind the dish would also solidify his standing back in the Top 100.

I honestly don't care about the ranking, so much as I care that Schanuel is in enough top prospect lists that the Angels can get a bonus draft pick when he finishes in the top 3. 

A player has to start in two out of three top 100 lists from MLB.com, ESPN and Baseball America.

First place ROY will get a draft pick after the first round. Second and third place finishers will receive international bonus picks. 

Schanuel appeared in both MLB.com and BA. But not on ESPN. 

Personally, I hate the top 100 clause because I've proven time and again that I have a better drop on Angels prospects than Jon Mayo, and I'm a know-nothing living in his mother's basement (figuratively speaking). 

The Angels and Schanuel are in the clear this season. But the way the rule is written, it's ripe for corruption. 

And for the record, EVERY TEAM AND THEIR FANS over estimate their own prospects value. I get that.

When someone that hates the Angels sees Schanuel, they see a non-muscular 1B with no power or upside. He's Casey Kotchman or James Loney. Irrelevant. Replaceable with literally anybody. 

When I see Schanuel, I see a 6'4" athletic kid that needed no minor league time to post an OBP over .400 in the major leagues. He's got a beautiful Japanese style swing and will hit for power very soon. He's Freddie Freeman or Joey Votto and will make several all-star teams. 

And the reality is somewhere in the middle. The lack of power as a 1B in concerning. But the fact that he's only 21, went straight to majors from a smaller college program and found significant success, suggests that his basement floor is as a major league regular for the next decade plus.

And that's worthy of being on the top 100. One could argue that's worthy of being in the top 10, depending on your preferences. That part is erroneous though. As long as he's in the top 100, that's all that matters. He's got just as much of a chance at ROY as anyone else and the Angels have a decent shot at getting a pretty solid prospect they otherwise never would have gotten, as a result.

Edited by Second Base