• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels bad?

UndertheHalo

Will the Angels ever be good again?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Angels ever be good again?

• No of course not lol.
    • I am a hopeless optimist!

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Many are saying it!

😀👍

I'm trying to stay positive @UndertheHalo

Here's where my head is at right now.

I'm hopeful with a new skipper and coaches, the youth movement (Schanuel, Neto, Moniak, Adell, O'Hoppe, Rengifo, Joyce, Silseth, Daniel) and veterans that can stay healthy and produce (Trout/Rendon) with another reliever or two added to the BP, a good starting pitcher and a DH (Soler, JD Martinez, or Hernandez) the Angels can be a damn good team in 2024 and beyond. 

32 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I'm trying to stay positive @UndertheHalo

Here's where my head is at right now.

I'm hopeful with a new skipper and coaches, the youth movement (Schanuel, Neto, Moniak, Adell, O'Hoppe, Rengifo, Joyce, Silseth, Daniel) and veterans that can stay healthy and produce (Trout/Rendon) with another reliever or two added to the BP, a good starting pitcher and a DH (Soler, JD Martinez, or Hernandez) the Angels can be a damn good team in 2024 and beyond. 

The great thing about baseball is that they can turn it around in 2024.  It’s more possible in baseball than any of the other 3 major sports.  We’ll see.  The poll is of course meant to be funny.  And also, to see how dark angels fan land is right now.  As expected it is dark. 

i think it makes sense to pursue Chapman to cover 3B.  I’d also like to see a reunion with Lorenzen and another starting pitcher.  I do think they should avoid Snell and Bellinger.  Let’s wait for better marquee guys to hand out mega deals.  Obviously they could improve in the bullpen as well. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

16 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

.226/.322/.420 the last three years.  Defense is still very good, but not as truly elite as it used to be (yes, I realize he won a Gold Glove in 2023). 

Pujols level ability to scorch a ball directly at someone.  Its like an NHL skills showcase where guy slap-shot at targets and the guy that hits the most targets wins.

Legit crazy at times.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pujols level ability to scorch a ball directly at someone.  Its like an NHL skills showcase where guy slap-shot at targets and the guy that hits the most targets wins.

Legit crazy at times.

Yep, I think he had the highest (or close to highest) hard-hit % in 2023.  But as you note, it doesn't actually seem to help him much since it somehow doesn't translate into a lot of hits.

33 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

.226/.322/.420 the last three years.  Defense is still very good, but not as truly elite as it used to be (yes, I realize he won a Gold Glove in 2023). 

He’s got some pop and another year removed from the hip thing.  Probably a safer (tho much more expensive) bet than Urshela.  I don’t think they should go more than 3 years and 60 million on Chapman.  I don’t think his market is huge.  I think they could possibly do better than that.  Which would be a huge win for the Halos I think. 

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

He’s got some pop and another year removed from the hip thing.  Probably a safer (tho much more expensive) bet than Urshela.  I don’t think they should go more than 3 years and 60 million on Chapman.  I don’t think his market is huge.  I think they could possibly do better than that.  Which would be a huge win for the Halos I think. 

For what it's worth, MLB Trade Rumors projected 6 years, $150M for him.

14 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep, I think he had the highest (or close to highest) hard-hit % in 2023.  But as you note, it doesn't actually seem to help him much since it somehow doesn't translate into a lot of hits.

I used to think that he was going to be another GA and see a noticeable mid-career power spike once he learned to elevate, only on a significantly larger scale. He always hit the ball harder than GA, but he doesn't create a lot of backspin, he's like a reverse Raul Ibanez in that sense.  Its crazy too because he's not this extreme pull type like AP was, he goes up the middle a lot but RIGHT at people.

BTW, you could actually hear the backspin on balls Ibanez would hit, not the sound off the bat, the actual sound the ball made in the air.  When he got to the Angels and that sound wasn't there, it was clear he was done.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

BTW, you could actually hear the backspin on balls Ibanez would hit, not the sound off the bat, the actual sound the ball made in the air.  When he got to the Angels and that sound wasn't there, it was clear he was done.

I was today years old when I first about this. What does it sound like?

15 minutes ago, Tank said:

I was today years old when I first about this. What does it sound like?

In Ibanez case, a low June-bug in flight sound. I honestly think he was the most extreme example of it. 

I used to lobby for the Angels to get him for cheap when he was first in Seattle back in our days on the AOL boards almost exclusively because of that backspin.  He finally broke out at 30 and hit almost 300 HRs from that point on after only hitting 27 from age 24-29 (only 757 at bats).

Russell Branyan was another guy that had crazy backspin.

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

But Chapman Ave is so close...

We could really market it.

"Chapman hits!" (Because at leat twice a week I have to take a report from people who got knocked out on Chapman)

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Legit crazy at times.

Younger me went w my buddy to an Angels open tryout once. They held it at CSUF. He had some... skills... and thought he had a shot. And to be fair this was when the team was pomping Ken Hill as a big add.

He ended up playing golf, too