• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Darin Erstad question?

happybat4

Grich and being underrated...

He finished 19th in the MVP voting in a year he led all AL position players in bWAR.
Another year, he finsihed 9th while being second only to Rod Carew in position player bWAR.

From 1972 through 1976 (his age 27 season), Grich was the AL leader in fWAR with 32.6, Rod Carew was second at 30.6, Reggie Jackson was third at 28.5.  Thurmon Munson who comes in 6th was more than 10 fWAR behind Grich over that span.

Dude was the best player in the AL over a five year period.  Had he played baseball in this current era he would be talked about as one of the top 3 players in the sport.

FYI the only two position players above him over the span where Joe Morgan 47.2 fWAR, and Johnny Bench 33.7.

Like I said -- I think Angels fans know he was great, but most still massively underrate him.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Grich and being underrated...

He finished 19th in the MVP voting in a year he led all AL position players in bWAR.
Another year, he finsihed 9th while being second only to Rod Carew in position player bWAR.

From 1972 through 1976 (his age 27 season), Grich was the AL leader in fWAR with 32.6, Rod Carew was second at 30.6, Reggie Jackson was third at 28.5.  Thurmon Munson who comes in 6th was more than 10 fWAR behind Grich over that span.

Dude was the best player in the AL over a five year period.  Had he played baseball in this current era he would be talked about as one of the top 3 players in the sport.

FYI the only two position players above him over the span where Joe Morgan 47.2 fWAR, and Johnny Bench 33.7.

Like I said -- I think Angels fans know he was great, but most still massively underrate him.

I like to look at this list of all time WAR.  I wonder how many people realize that the lifetime WAR of Jeter and Grich is basically equal.  And look at all those plus marks that indicate Hall of Famer.  It’s kind of silly that Grich doesn’t get his due.

IMG_7624.jpeg

Edited by Dtwncbad

On 12/2/2023 at 5:59 PM, happybat4 said:

Is he the only person to ever win a college football championship and world series title? 

So I googled this question and didn’t get a direct answer but I appears that Erstad is the only one. Deion Sanders comes close with 2 Super Bowl titles and an appearance in a WS. Here is an article that I found about College Football players that went on to have distinguished careers in MLB from Bleacher Report back in 2014…

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2013752-top-10-college-football-players-who-went-on-to-have-distinguished-mlb-careers

It also mentions Phil Nevin and Bo Jackson.