• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jared Walsh discusses return to majors, his future: ‘I have recovered’

jsnpritchett

Excerpts:

"He was lost at the plate, hitting .119 with 26 strikeouts in 78 at-bats. His career whiff rate is 27.7 percent, but it was higher than 43 percent in 2023. The failures continued in Triple A, a league he dominated with relative ease in the past.

“I’m not sure if you drink alcohol,” Walsh said. “But imagine you had a really bad night the night before and had to show up and hit off the best pitchers in the world. It wasn’t easy.”

Fatigue overtook him, and his head wasn’t clear. Symptoms that impacted more than just baseball. He doubted his ability to recover the capabilities he once had. When he was designated for assignment, it was an emotional hit.

Walsh was a 39th-round draft pick by the Angels. That round no longer exists. Players who get taken that late are usually roster fillers. They aren’t expected to advance. Walsh willed his way to the major leagues as a two-way player.

The incredible story of Walsh becoming a big-league All-Star was being taken from him by a sickness he couldn’t explain. The DFA reinforced that in a difficult way.

He was actively concerned that his days as a good major leaguer were over.

“My career essentially fell apart,” Walsh said. “But I always feel like I’m capable of a comeback story. Back’s been up against the wall before. ”

"Walsh was coy about whether he felt the Angels organization communicated with him throughout this process.

When asked whether Angels general manager Perry Minasian or Nevin reached out when he was in the minors, Walsh said, “I had some people reach out to me.”

When asked if he still felt like he had an overall connection with the organization during the process, Walsh said, “With some people.”

He also provided a curt reply when asked if the level of communication throughout his ordeal led him to feel comfortable upon his return.

“Yeah, it’s always good to be in the major leagues,” he said.

Reading between the lines there isn’t too difficult. It is an awkward dynamic. The Angels had moved on. They drafted Nolan Schanuel to be their first baseman. And Walsh said he’s a big fan of the rookie.

It doesn’t change that Schanuel is essentially Walsh’s replacement and that Walsh being back with the Angels feels like something of a relic from a bygone era.

“It’s cool to see certain people — when you’re down and out, nobody’s on the bandwagon — who’s supportive,” Walsh said."

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

That would be great.  Do the Angels still control him ?

He's not a free agent until after the '25 season.  There's been some debate about whether the Angels will tender him a contract this off-season, though, given that he's making $2.65M this season and will be arbitration-eligible again this winter.

2 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

He's not a free agent until after the '25 season.  There's been some debate about whether the Angels will tender him a contract this off-season, though, given that he's making $2.65M this season and will be arbitration-eligible again this winter.

I would have said they probably wouldn't tender him before he was called up but if he can finish strong (and he'll get chances, given the roster right now), I'm no so sure....

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

What did you think of the rest of the article or excerpts? 

Let's just say Walsh is easy to root for and I hope he makes it all the way back.  He'd be great to have in RF and backup at 1B. 

The excerpts about his struggles and thought process was interesting. 

Just now, T.G. said:

Let's just say Walsh is easy to root for and I hope he makes it all the way back.  He'd be great to have in RF and backup at 1B. 

Cool.  I think it's a well-written article and agree that Walsh is an easy guy to root for.

Should Angels let Walsh go?

Best case scenario next year we have Trout, Moniak, and Ward in Outfield and Adell as a 4th. 

We have Schenual at 1b.

However, Trout injuries are well known, Ward is a question mark if he can come back from face injury, and Moniak might be a one year wonder.  And Who knows if Adell can hit mlb pitching.

Schenual doesnt hit for power and might not adjust when pitchers adjust to him.

However Walsh has his own question mark.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Should Angels let Walsh go?

Best case scenario next year we have Trout, Moniak, and Ward in Outfield and Adell as a 4th. 

We have Schenual at 1b.

However, Trout injuries are well known, Ward is a question mark if he can come back from face injury, and Moniak might be a one year wonder.  And Who knows if Adell can hit mlb pitching.

Schenual doesnt hit for power and might not adjust when pitchers adjust to him.

However Walsh has his own question mark.

If Walsh is truly back, the Angels need him.

Working in his favor is that the Halos don’t have a whole lot to count on internally at 1B/RF. As good as Schanuel has been, it would be a little risky not having a 1B safeguard. Not sure Walsh is that anymore though.

Might come down to what they do with Stassi. If he’s on the team next year, Thaiss could be the 1B/3B back-up and it would squeeze Walsh out. Between Moniak, Adell, Ward, and Trout the OF would/should be ‘set’.

Edited by totdprods

Obligatory:

Flying Sci-Fi GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Seriously though, we need a larger sample size than 9 PA to make anything of it. Sure, two HR gives him an .889 SLG, but that's with a .222 BA and .222 OBP...meaning, he's hit 2 HR and that's it. No other hits or walks. But it is literally just 9 PA. I'd like to see how he finishes out the year with 50 PA, at least. But he is probably auditioning for his job next year.

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

I agree. I do wonder, though, if his throwing arm is powerful enough to play RF. That position typically requires the strongest arm of the three outfield positions.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Had a great arm pre-thoracic surgery.

Now that I think about it, he has played some rightfield before and I did see some of his throws. Well, if he retains or regains that arm strength, that might be the place for him then. I know he has good range at first, and he was an excellent defender there.

2 minutes ago, EDinTUSTIN said:

Now that I think about it, he has played some rightfield before and I did see some of his throws. Well, if he retains or regains that arm strength, that might be the place for him then. I know he has good range at first, and he was an excellent defender there.

He was solid on the mound in ‘19 too. 

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

He was solid on the mound in ‘19 too. 

Yeah, that's right. I would like to see him get another shot. Before this injury and health issues he had, he was on track to becoming a difference-maker type player. He is definitely talented. Like others have said, Jared is very easy to root for. If he was healthy and the player he was pre-injury, this team would have been a lot better and more successful for sure. It is worth seeing if he can recapture that, that could pay off handsomely.

Just now, Jeff Fletcher said:

He had an arm injury that pretty much ended his pitching career in 2020, even before he broke out as a hitter. Not saying that anyone is suggesting he pitch again, just that I wouldn't judge what his RF arm would be now by what it was before then.

I do remember he threw pretty hard as a pitcher. I imagine, though, that he may not have a fireballer's arm on the mound now, but it is probably still above average I would think. I well remember when Rick Ankiel was converted from a pitcher to a centerfielder. Now, I know he never had an arm injury, but he had an absolute cannon out in centerfield. He gunned down a lot of baserunners, and his arm kept most baserunners honest. It would be interesting to see how well Jared still throws.