• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Brand

Curious about what your take on the Angels brand is now? They've had identifiable eras, and since Trout arrived, the brand seems artificial and nothing organic. Like most fans, I'm not a fan of Arte, but they did have some winning baseball before 2014, their last postseason appearance.

They used to develop players and never be so behind on strategy, discipline, and coaching. Reading articles about issues with analytics, remote broadcasting, English and Spanish speaking, and their constant mediocre play yet in the upper 3rd in spending. You also have problems with the minors, on and on with this team. 

Picture this, imagine the Angels organization run by the Dodgers personnel, and how many more wins would that add? I hate comparing them to the Dodgers, who take Halos players, but they help extend their careers, even coaches (Dino) and beloved Jose Mota to their broadcast team. 

My point is the Angels need to define what brand they want to be, and it starts from the top. But they need smarter and more competent people because as meddlesome as Arte is, Perry has shown some success. What are your thoughts on their brand?

19 hours ago, T.G. said:

This is one of those things people only think about when the team is losing.

When the Angels were winning, I bet no one even thought about this.

Your Halo Honkism is tired and boring. The club has a negative W-L the past decade. I bet you get all giddy when they replay highlights from 2002. 

Just now, VladdyforHOF said:

Your Halo Honkism is tired and boring. The club has a negative W-L the past decade. I bet you get all giddy when they replay highlights from 2002. 

Their record has nothing to do with their brand. 

It has more to do with their culture - which sucks.

Get over yourself.

Just now, T.G. said:

Their record has nothing to do with their brand. 

It has more to do with their culture - which sucks.

Get over yourself.

Their record has a lot to do with it... winning breeds respect from outsiders. This topic is about the Angels' brand, which involves how they are perceived by everyone.

Hmm, I bet their culture isn't something people thought about when they were winning.

ba dum tss

26 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Their record has a lot to do with it... winning breeds respect from outsiders. This topic is about the Angels' brand, which involves how they are perceived by everyone.

Hmm, I bet their culture isn't something people thought about when they were winning.

ba dum tss

You're right. People didn't think about the culture when they were winning (for the most part). My point is that people find a million things to focus on when the team is losing.  They suck. We get it.  I get it.  Who gives a crap about the brand?

Lots of bad teams (team with sustained years of losing) have had good brand recognition... Cowboys, Cubs, etc. 

You assume, I'm a Halo Honk.  You don't know squat.  I'd love to see Arte sell the team.  I don't like watching them lose.  I just don't let it ruin my day.

AND... I don't run around ranting about it in every thread.

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

You're right. People didn't think about the culture when they were winning (for the most part). My point is that people find a million things to focus on when the team is losing.  They suck. We get it.  I get it.  Who gives a crap about the brand?

Lots of bad teams (team with sustained years of losing) have had good brand recognition... Cowboys, Cubs, etc. 

You assume, I'm a Halo Honk.  You don't know squat.  I'd love to see Arte sell the team.  I don't like watching them lose.  I just don't let it ruin my day.

A lot of people care about their brand. It's harder to be a proud fan of a team that is nationally perceived as a joke. If they were actually good, then you could say who cares how they are perceived. But they are not.

Two of the greatest baseball players of all time, at the same time, on the same team. You could argue that Trout and Ohtani are two of the top five greatest players that the millennial generation and on has been able to watch play baseball. Anyone currently 42 years old or younger.

And with all that said this team can't even establish a winning record let alone make the postseason. It's a total joke on ownership.

I bet you if this team made it the postseason, I don't know, twice, in the past 5 seasons, we would more bandwagon fans than any other team in MLB.

It's the consecutive seasons of losing over and over consistently that make the Angels brand a joke. We don't even get more than one or two slots on Sunday Night Baseball per season anymore. With two of the best players in the game. Because we're losers.

It didn't help when that loser changed the name of the team to LAA of Anaheim. That's when the media really started laughing. Fuck our idiot owner.

30 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

A lot of people care about their brand. It's harder to be a proud fan of a team that is nationally perceived as a joke. If they were actually good, then you could say who cares how they are perceived. But they are not.

My self-esteem isn't tied to how the team is perceived nationally.  It's just not. I really don't care if the rest of the baseball world thinks the Angels are a joke.  I'm not judging anyone who wants to feel proud of the team.  It's just not my thing.

31 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Two of the greatest baseball players of all time, at the same time, on the same team. You could argue that Trout and Ohtani are two of the top five greatest players that the millennial generation and on has been able to watch play baseball. Anyone currently 42 years old or younger.

No argument there.

32 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

And with all that said this team can't even establish a winning record let alone make the postseason. It's a total joke on ownership.

It takes more than two players to win.  I'm sure you know that.  But yes, the failure of the team is mostly on Arte. 

33 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

I bet you if this team made it the postseason, I don't know, twice, in the past 5 seasons, we would more bandwagon fans than any other team in MLB.

Also true.  And for the record - I don't mind bandwagon fans.  We saw this after 2002 and I didn't judge those who jumped on the wagon. 

34 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

It's the consecutive seasons of losing over and over consistently that make the Angels brand a joke. We don't even get more than one or two slots on Sunday Night Baseball per season anymore. With two of the best players in the game. Because we're losers.

Again... this is just me... but I could care less about the brand.  It's not one of those things I think about.  I wear my Angels gear around town regardless of their winning or losing. 

36 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

It didn't help when that loser changed the name of the team to LAA of Anaheim. That's when the media really started laughing. Fuck our idiot owner.

The name change was dumb, but it didn't bother me to the point of wanting to rant about it.  They're still the Angels. 

Years ago, an article came about about the clubhouse culture and how Torii wanted to fight Pujols because Pujols only cared about his stats.  That was something I took notice of.  That's when I started to wonder about the team culture.  All the stuff that has surfaced since then tells me the culture is messed up. That's on Arte.   The culture impacts winning.  Winning and losing impact the brand to a certain degree.  There's a difference.

At the end of the day, I try not to worry about the things I can't control.  Baseball is entertainment for me.  If the Angels win, great. If they lose, I won't lose any sleep over it.  That being said, I don't judge those who are more passionate about this than I am.  My priorities are just different.  I also don't give a rip when fans say things like "New York fans would never tolerate this."  I don't give a rip.  I really don't.

When the Angels win it's fun.  Lots of fun.  It just isn't a source of pride for me - because what they do is out of my control.