• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: As Mike Trout turns 32, he feels better each day about a return to Angels’ lineup

ANAHEIM — On the day he turned 32, Mike Trout told Angels manager Phil Nevin that he’s getting closer to a return to the lineup.

Nevin began a Monday morning conversation with Trout by wishing him a happy birthday, but then they discussed his rehab from a fractured hamate bone.

“He had a really good day hitting in the cage,” Nevin said, adding that Trout still feels some soreness “but he told me that is something that I’m really close to being able to go with.”

At this point, pain tolerance is the only limit on Trout’s activity, Nevin said.

Trout was injured on July 3, and a couple of days later he had surgery to remove the bone. The three-time American League MVP is five weeks past the injury, which was said to have a timetable of four to eight weeks.

“He’s anxious to get back out there,” Nevin said. “It hurts him not being there with the guys. I can’t give you a timeline, but things are looking good.”

READY TO GO

Catcher Logan O’Hoppe was packing up to begin a rehab assignment with Class-A Inland Empire. He will play on Tuesday at Rancho Cucamonga.

O’Hoppe is scheduled to catch three innings on Tuesday, and he’ll progress from there, eventually playing with Triple-A Salt Lake.

Nevin said O’Hoppe’s preparation will be on a similar timeline to spring training of 2022, which was less than three weeks because of the lockout.

That would have O’Hoppe ready to go by around Aug. 25, which is when the Angels play a series against the New York Mets. O’Hoppe grew up on Long Island, so Citi Field was the closest ballpark to his home.

O’Hoppe is less than four months removed from April shoulder surgery. The timetable given at the time was four to six months.

HOT START

Angels’ first-round draft pick Nolan Schanuel is hitting .323 through his first 38 plate appearances at Double-A. Schanuel, who began his career with five games at Class-A and below, is hitting .378 with a .975 OPS across all levels.

Schanuel, 21, has not hit a homer yet. He also has just five strikeouts and 12 walks in 59 pro plate appearances.

NOTES

Nevin said there is still a chance for right-handers Sam Bachman (shoulder inflammation) and Ben Joyce (ulnar neuritis) to make it back this season, even though neither is currently throwing off a mound. “Those guys are working hard in Arizona,” Nevin said. “They had little tiny setbacks. Nothing major. These are things that they’re going to be able to pitch through at some point. And we’re getting close to that.” …

Right-hander Chris Devenski (hamstring) was scheduled to make his third rehab appearance in Arizona on Monday. …

Right-hander Jacob Webb was claimed on waivers by the Baltimore Orioles. He was designated for assignment over the weekend. Webb had a 3.98 ERA in 29 games with the Angels, including a 7.20 ERA in his last nine games. …

The Angels recalled right-hander Zack Weiss to replace Reynaldo López, who is on the bereavement list.

UP NEXT

Giants (TBD) at Angels (RHP Lucas Giolito, 6-8, 4.36), Tuesday, 6:38 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

16 hours ago, TroutField said:

What’s the point? Shut him down and let him get ready for next year, maybe he can finally stay healthy. 

I say the opposite.  Resting him is waving a white flag.  No way.  A 10 game win streak makes this season interesting again.  Unlikely but not impossible if you have two of the greatest players ever on the same team.

Get his butt on the field and play hard.  He’s getting paid to be a generational player and fans are going to the games and tuning in to see him play and perform.  Put up some numbers.

If he gets hurt again he has the offseason to heal.

If he is going to tear a hammy, I’d rather have him do it now and have time to heal than to tear it in April of next year.

Edited by Dtwncbad

As he turns 32 we feel worse and worse about his contract.  I was against signing him and will never change my mind.  Give me three reliable 2 WAR players who are leaders and have fire, over a 40 million dollar player who never had fire, never leads, and never plays even 3/4 of a season. Nice guys that are always hurt don’t win games.  I don’t expect my opinion is popular but it’s a lot closer to the truth than most care to admit.  This is not hindsight wisdom either.  I said at the time don’t sign him, spend the money to fill the gaping holes.

6 hours ago, LaPalma said:

As he turns 32 we feel worse and worse about his contract.  I was against signing him and will never change my mind.  Give me three reliable 2 WAR players who are leaders and have fire, over a 40 million dollar player who never had fire, never leads, and never plays even 3/4 of a season. Nice guys that are always hurt don’t win games.  I don’t expect my opinion is popular but it’s a lot closer to the truth than most care to admit.  This is not hindsight wisdom either.  I said at the time don’t sign him, spend the money to fill the gaping holes.

Trout has already earned every dime of his contract as he was grossly underpaid the first decade.