• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels opt to give Zach Neto ‘one more day’ to rest stiff back

DETROIT — Zach Neto was all set to return to the Angels’ lineup until Manager Phil Nevin pulled the plug.

Nevin put the shortstop in his initial lineup for Tuesday’s game, but after watching him work out on the field he decided that he wanted to give him another day to prevent further issues with his lower back. Neto last played on Friday.

“I thought he would play today, but this was really after watching him try to get loose and some ground ball stuff,” Nevin said. “I still see a little bit of tentativeness. He’s telling me he’s OK to play but this is just a decision I’m making. This is too important to us. These low back things can flare up more. So I made the decision. Let’s just give this one more day.”

Nevin said he would be “shocked” if Neto did not play on Wednesday.

“I’m a little frustrated,” Neto said. “I thought I was gonna be able to play today. But you gotta listen to Skip. He thought I needed an extra day and I’m just gonna respect whatever he thinks. We’re just gonna keep getting my body right until I go back out there and play. I felt like my body was as close to 100% as it has been.”

Neto missed four weeks with a strained oblique, then came back and played seven games before the back issue surfaced.

The Angels are 36-26 when Neto is in the starting lineup.

“Obviously we’ve talked all about what he means to our team,” Nevin said. “But I just think it’s more important for the long haul to have one more day.”

FACING OLD FRIENDS

Detroit Tigers right-hander Michael Lorenzen is set to pitch against his former Angels teammates on Wednesday.

Lorenzen was an All-Star this season, posting a 3.49 ERA in 17 starts. He had a 4.24 ERA with the Angels in 2022.

Lorenzen, 31, is an Orange County native and a product of Cal State Fullerton. He said he nearly re-signed with the Angels last winter.

“I really wanted to come back,” Lorenzen said. “It’s my home. So I wanted to go back. There was nights where I already committed to the Tigers and I’m in bed and I’m like rolling around like ‘What did I do? What did I do? I think the Angels are going to be good and I could have been home and playing winning baseball in my hometown.’ There were a lot of those sleepless nights. It was close. I really wanted to come back. There was a lot of conversation about bringing me back. I don’t want to get too far into the negotiations and stuff. This just seemed like a better fit obviously.”

Pressed on which side pulled away in the negotiations, Lorenzen said it was “mutual.”

He also agreed that signing with the Tigers “is a smarter move” because they have a pitchers’ park and play in a division without any powerhouse teams, which allows him to be personally successful and perhaps be traded to a contender in the second half. Lorenzen is going to be one of the most attractive starting pitchers on the trade market before next week’s deadline.

Lorenzen also said the Tigers “sold me” with their commitment to helping him reach his potential. The Tigers simplified his repertoire, eliminating two of the seven pitches he was throwing.

NOTES

Mike Trout (fractured hamate) traveled with the team to Detroit. The three-time American League MVP is set to begin swinging a bat as soon as there’s been sufficient healing of the wound from surgery. …

Infielder Brandon Drury (shoulder inflammation) said he was set to hit against the high-velocity machine on Tuesday, which would prepare him to face live pitching on Wednesday. Drury last played on June 29, so he might still play some games in the minors. “It’s been long enough now that maybe he needs a couple days of at-bats and to make sure he can let it go,” Nevin said. “I don’t want him to come into a major league game and be limited at all.” …

Outfielder Jo Adell (strained oblique) is still undergoing treatment without beginning baseball activity. Adell was hurt on July 8. Nevin said he has a “significant strain,” and he said it was something in between what Neto had and what left-hander Matt Moore had. Neto missed four weeks and Moore missed seven weeks. …

Right-hander Sam Bachman (right shoulder inflammation) is scheduled to begin throwing in the next few days, Nevin said. …

Right-hander Ben Joyce (ulnar neuritis) has thrown two bullpen sessions, but he’s not yet throwing at 100%, Nevin said.

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP Patrick Sandoval, 5-7, 4.16 ERA) at Tigers (RHP Michael Lorenzen, 5-6, 3.49), Wednesday, 3:40 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article