• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani leads to winning? Asked & answered & asking again

I’m a fan of Ohtani’s. He’s my countryman too, so I know what he’s saying, and the diluted mumbo we get from Ippei (but cred to him, he’s played a key role in Shohei’s success). Sho provides excitement to Angels baseball and an interesting storyline, which is always important in sports. And while many are enamored with and may want that storybook ending for the Angels, winning with the unicorn and Trout, I don’t think that’s in the cards.

If baseball had some tight roster restriction well under 26, and some fixed salary base per player, then sure, good two-way players bring apparent advantages. Given current realities, as mentioned before, it seems we’d be better served having a solid 5-man rotation and no fixture at DH.

Since 2021, baseball already benefited and got to enjoy a great storyline with Shotime, which for Angels baseball has been beneficial and also detrimental, with boring Septembers. If Sho were to stay, I’d be curious whether some role change could contribute to more winning baseball. For instance, keep him in the lineup, but have him available sometimes for back-end relief pitching, and occasionally taking the field. Could that lead to a better team and also contribute to his longevity? Going on the limb here given the team’s recent good streak, revamped BP, Sho’s hot bat and his still being our #1, despite his recent sweeper struggles.

So far as his potential leaving, I wish it were clearer what Sho’s benchmark is, so far as staying or leaving—ALDS, ALCS win…? I hope he’ll clarify his expectations a bit more with management a couple of weeks before the deadline, so the brass can decide whether to be buyers or not, and the club not left hanging. It’d be nice if he just agrees to a 2-year $120M now. Otherwise, thanks for the memories, but I’ll be just as happy with the halos winning with or without him.