• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Funky Ohtani idea

This will get laughed at, and I'll probably get yelled at. But I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm sure it would be a giant no from the union, and MLB. But then again it's never come up before, so maybe it could be a loophole to exploit.

And again this is stupid.

But what about signing Ohtani to two separate contracts, one for pitching one for hitting?

Insurance if he has to pick one or the other down the road. And if you're splitting up his salary(s) into two separate contracts, it lowers the annual average cost.

@Lou, is this one of my Chief ideas?

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

giphy.gif

Believe it or not, I was thinking of something similar.  I was wondering if a contract could be constructed where certain metrics have to be met for Ohtani to get paid for doing both and if at some point he can't do both, it triggers a change to the contract.  My ideas aren't well thought out, but your thread is similar to what I was thinking about.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

Believe it or not, I was thinking of something similar.  I was wondering if a contract could be constructed where certain metrics have to be met for Ohtani to get paid for doing both and if at some point he can't do both, it triggers a change to the contract.  My ideas aren't well thought out, but your thread is similar to what I was thinking about.

Let's get a beer by the stadium next week, then randomly ambush Minasian when he's walking out to his car.

"Just hear us out, we aren't crazy..."

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Let's get a beer by the stadium next week, then randomly ambush Minasian when he's walking out to his car.

Because anyone who ambushes anyone is never crazy, right?

I'm in.

Do I need to wear camo?

2 minutes ago, fanfromday1 said:

At the trade deadline you could trade (eg.) one contract to the Dodgers and the other to the Astros and get a good haul back. Then during the 2023 World series he could possibly pitch against himself.  

We give him the Kevin Brown private plane to fly back and forth between games.

I gave @Angel Oracle a heap of shit for it in the recent past because he brought it up.  And while I could see them propose something like this, I doubt anyone will hang too tightly on it because that's the risk.  You take the risk of giving Rendon 7/245m in the hopes that he'll get more than a season's worth of at bats over the last three years.  

My point now and in the past was that while it's reasonable to propose, Ohtani's just not gonna have to do anything weird to get his 400m+.  

24 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This will get laughed at, and I'll probably get yelled at. But I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm sure it would be a giant no from the union, and MLB. But then again it's never come up before, so maybe it could be a loophole to exploit.

And again this is stupid.

But what about signing Ohtani to two separate contracts, one for pitching one for hitting?

Insurance if he has to pick one or the other down the road. And if you're splitting up his salary(s) into two separate contracts, it lowers the annual average cost.

@Lou, is this one of my Chief ideas?

Just sign one contract with the insurance company underwriting the coverage for the scenario of if he ends up only able to pitch or hit.

Your other idea of lowering the average annual cost doesn’t work.  You still add them together for the overall salary expense that is calculated for the luxury tax. The math ends up the same.

So what exactly are you accomplishing with this complication?

1 minute ago, Docwaukee said:

I gave @Angel Oracle a heap of shit for it in the recent past because he brought it up.  And while I could see them propose something like this, I doubt anyone will hang too tightly on it because that's the risk.  You take the risk of giving Rendon 7/245m in the hopes that he'll get more than a season's worth of at bats over the last three years.  

My point now and in the past was that while it's reasonable to propose, Ohtani's just not gonna have to do anything weird to get his 400m+.  

I don't disagree. 

...And you don't need a reason to give AO crap. 

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Just sign one contract with the insurance company underwriting the coverage for the scenario of if he ends up only able to pitch or hit.

Your other idea of lowering the average annual cost doesn’t work.  You still add them together for the overall salary expense that is calculated for the luxury tax. The math ends up the same.

So what exactly are you accomplishing with this complication?

It’s called a cross liability clause. I could see that actually working. Make one contract offset the other in increments. If by x year you’re no longer pitching or hitting then it triggers the clause in the other to terminate. If after x years you’re still doing both at xyz threshold then it triggers both contracts to be locked in. 

What are we doing in this thread?  Coming up with loopholes that don't exist in the CBA but we could still somehow exploit only in our imaginations? 

Okay then, I propose we sign him to a non-guaranteed contract.  Imagine all the GMs of other teams..."oh man, why didn't we think of that!"

Even better, let's sign him to $60m a year and just not pay him at all.  Can't beat that for cleverness, eh?

After a few sips of Blantons, I am formulating a league designation swap between Salt Lake and the major league club.

Something about "technically" assigning Ohtani to AAA for the next 8 years, which is "technically" the team that plays in Anaheim, while our major league club plays in Salt Lake.

I need about a half glass more to fully fill out the details.

Step 1: Los Angeles Angels Baseball Club swaps leagues with the Salt Lake Bees Baseball Club

Step 2: Assign Ohtani to AAA

Step 3: something

Step 4: something

Step 5: something

Step 6: something

Step 7: Ohtani never becomes a free agent

39 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Wear your uniform and I'm sure he won't move a muscle until you are done. 

21 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

It’s called a cross liability clause. I could see that actually working. Make one contract offset the other in increments. If by x year you’re no longer pitching or hitting then it triggers the clause in the other to terminate. If after x years you’re still doing both at xyz threshold then it triggers both contracts to be locked in. 

My point is you don’t need two separate contracts to insure different specific risks.  An insurance company can underwrite partial coverage for one contract.

Just for kicks let’s say he signs a $500m deal.  You could get a policy that pays $250m if the player cannot pitch or cannot hit.

There is no reason to have two separate contracts if your objective is to insure the risk of him blowing out his elbow and only being able to DH.

You would just pay a premium that covers the agreed upon policy value that kicks in subject to physical limitations caused by injury.