• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

5 Man Rotation

Fregosi Fan

10 minutes ago, Fregosi Fan said:

Why won't the Angels talk to Shohei about a 5 man rotation, if they move to a 5 man rotation they would pick up about 8 wins over the course of the season by taking starts from someone like Silseth and giving them to Shohei, Anderson, Sandoval, Detmers, and Suarez.

Ohtani has already said he's open to it

6 hours ago, mmc said:

Ohtani has already said he's open to it

Ohtani’s agent said he’s open to it, and he’s going to say Ohtani is open to anything because there are a bunch of other teams out there who want to know how he’d fit with them. 

You recall in spring training Ohtani lost a whole start because he didn’t want to pitch on 4 days rest even with a limited spring training workload. 

I’m not saying it could never happen. And certainly it might happen with his next team. 

But I believe as of now Ohtani and the Angels agree that a 6-man rotation is the best for all parties. 

(Also, it’s no guarantee all the other pitchers would be as good on a 4-man rotation. It worked pretty well for everyone last season.)

I think in general, no team really adheres to a true 5 man or 6 man rotation these days.  We see teams utilize the option rules to help space guys' starts out a bit more, or flip guys in the rotation, and so on and so forth.

When teams enter a stretch of games in which they have multiple days off, perhaps they are more inclined to just use 5 SPs during that time, knowing they can utilize off days to help space out starts.  Likewise, when teams enter a stretch of consecutive games, teams will liberally call up / option players to make spot starts, to help ensure everyone gets adequate time off.

This is why I don't think we would see the FO sign another SP such that we have 6 SPs on the roster that can't be optioned.  The ability to option that 6th spot is far too valuable in terms of flexibility.

Eyeballing the roster now, we could see Silseth, Canning (?), Daniel, Rosenthal somewhat cycled through in terms of options to help space things out.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I think in general, no team really adheres to a true 5 man or 6 man rotation these days.  We see teams utilize the option rules to help space guys' starts out a bit more, or flip guys in the rotation, and so on and so forth.

When teams enter a stretch of games in which they have multiple days off, perhaps they are more inclined to just use 5 SPs during that time, knowing they can utilize off days to help space out starts.  Likewise, when teams enter a stretch of consecutive games, teams will liberally call up / option players to make spot starts, to help ensure everyone gets adequate time off.

This is why I don't think we would see the FO sign another SP such that we have 6 SPs on the roster that can't be optioned.  The ability to option that 6th spot is far too valuable in terms of flexibility.

Eyeballing the roster now, we could see Silseth, Canning (?), Daniel, Rosenthal somewhat cycled through in terms of options to help space things out.

I’ve asked about this and was told I’m doing that isn’t as easy as it used to be now because of the limit of 5 options per year. Also, you have to be down for 15 days now, not 10.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ve asked about this and was told I’m doing that isn’t as easy as it used to be now because of the limit of 5 options per year. Also, you have to be down for 15 days now, not 10.

At the very least, they could probably do that for the first three weeks of the season since they have three off days during the first three weeks.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ohtani’s agent said he’s open to it, and he’s going to say Ohtani is open to anything because there are a bunch of other teams out there who want to know how he’d fit with them. 

You recall in spring training Ohtani lost a whole start because he didn’t want to pitch on 4 days rest even with a limited spring training workload. 

I’m not saying it could never happen. And certainly it might happen with his next team. 

But I believe as of now Ohtani and the Angels agree that a 6-man rotation is the best for all parties. 

(Also, it’s no guarantee all the other pitchers would be as good on a 4-man rotation. It worked pretty well for everyone last season.)

hmmmmm... So, are we just gonna breeze by this comment... ?  

So, it's not if, but when he leaves? I've assumed and and been thinking he won't leave but is that the basic feeling around the Org and Writers FLETCH???...

TIA~

43 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Good points.  Anecdotally, it seemed like teams would keep up starters an extra turn through the rotation, such that they'd make 2 starts before being sent down.  That helped with the 15 day rule, as well as helping somewhat reduce the number of times they were optioned back and forth.

56 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

So, it's not if, but when he leaves? I've assumed and and been thinking he won't leave but is that the basic feeling around the Org and Writers FLETCH???...

TIA~

I’m not sure why you would expect him to stay…

Or you go with the 6 man in 2023, but use off days to give Ohtani, Sandoval, and Anderson 2-3 extra starts each and Detmers, Lorenzen?, and Suarez 2-3 less starts each?

Ohtani, Sandoval, Anderson - 29-30 starts each 

Detmers, Lorenzen?, Suarez - 24-25 starts each

Ohtani and Anderson had 28 starts in 2022, and Sandoval had 27 starts.

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

So why won't the Angels ask him about it?

Based on what Perry said, they don’t seem to believe it’s worth the experiment. Besides being worried about Ohtani getting hurt and/or being less effective, they aren’t sure the other starters would be as effective. It sounds like they just don’t feel the upside is worth the risk. 

16 hours ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

TIA~

I don’t know that he’s leaving for sure but It wouldn’t surprise me. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Based on what Perry said, they don’t seem to believe it’s worth the experiment. Besides being worried about Ohtani getting hurt and/or being less effective, they aren’t sure the other starters would be as effective. It sounds like they just don’t feel the upside is worth the risk. 

I was being facetious. The guy who created the thread made it sound like the Angels just had to ask Ohtani like a dude wanting to ask out a girl. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The timing for 5 man isn’t quite there.

Once at least 5 starters have pitched at least 150 innings in a season, then the time for 5 man may have arrived.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Then it will never take place because that requires pitchers to go nearly 6 innings per outing with the reduced starts. MLB is creating the dependence on relievers so no pitcher is getting a third run through the lineup creating even smaller fish by shrinking the fishbowl even more. 

There were 734 complete games pitched in 1982. 

Last season there were 35.

Guppies.

44 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The timing for 5 man isn’t quite there.

Once at least 5 starters have pitched at least 150 innings in a season, then the time for 5 man may have arrived.

Last season there were 62 starters that pitched 150 innings. That's barely two per team.