• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels expand use of interpreter for Spanish-speaking pitchers

ARLINGTON, Texas — If Angels left-hander José Suarez gets into trouble at some point during his start Sunday, and pitching coach Matt Wise needs to pay him a visit on the mound, he won’t come alone.

This year Manny Del Campo is serving as the Angels’ interpreter for their Spanish-speaking players. For the past several years, the Angels have had someone help the players communicate in meetings and interviews, but this is the first year that help has extended to mound visits, when it’s most important to deliver the right message.

Suarez, who is from Venezuela, has been pitching in the majors since 2019, but he had never used an interpreter on the mound before this year.

“There were a few times that I wasn’t paying attention because I couldn’t understand it,” Suarez said, though Del Campo. “So I felt kind of uncomfortable and not focused … Sometimes they talk too fast and we don’t get it. We’re coming from different parts of Latin America. This way we understand 100 percent.”

Del Campo knows the feeling. Del Campo is from Mexico, and he said there were times during his minor-league career that he didn’t understand, but he didn’t speak up.

“Sometimes I didn’t understand and I just said ‘I got it,’ so I wasn’t embarrassed,” Del Campo said. “Now it’s better to just know 100 percent.”

Del Campo still works as one of the Angels’ bullpen catchers before games. He also throws batting practice. Once the game begins, though, and especially if one of the Angels’ Spanish-speaking pitchers is on the mound, he is in the dugout, ready to head to the mound if necessary.

Among current Angels pitchers, Jaime Barria (who is from Panama), Raisel Iglesias (Cuba), Oliver Ortega (Dominican Republic) and Suarez all plan to have Del Campo assist with mound visits. José Quijada (Venezuela), who is on the injured list, would also use Del Campo.

THE DAY AFTER

Not surprisingly, general manager Perry Minasian said he supported manager Joe Maddon’s unorthodox decision to issue a bases-loaded intentional walk Friday night.

It was just the third time in the past 78 years that a manager had intentionally given the opponent a run that way, and the other two were in the bottom of the ninth with the team in the field ahead by multiple runs.

The Angels were down by a run in the fourth inning when Maddon gave the Rangers’ a two-run lead. He later explained that he was trying to avoid a big inning and also inspire his team. Although the Angels gave up two more runs after the walk to fall behind by four, they scored five in the next inning and won the game.

“I think he felt like that was the best thing to do at that point in time to win the game,” Minasian said on Saturday. “He’s manager. He’s been pretty good. He’s got a pretty good track record. I’ve got all the faith in the world that he’s gonna have good reasons behind everything he does. And he did, so I’m good.”

Maddon said he had heard from a handful of people in the time since he made the headline-grabbing move.

“My college roommate checked in,” Maddon said. “Some other guys from back home. A lot of my buddies checked in and they kind of liked it.”

CROWDED OUTFIELD

The Angels activated Taylor Ward (groin) from the injured list and put him in right field, and the cleanup spot, on Saturday. Jose Rojas was optioned to create a spot.

Maddon said Ward is going to get plenty of playing time, so that’s going to create a squeeze with corner outfielders Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh, alongside center fielder Mike Trout. With the Angels facing a lefty Saturday, Adell was in left and Marsh was on the bench.

“There will be ways to get everybody in,” Maddon said. “So I’m really not worried about that right now. I know I will think about it a lot. I’ve done this in the past, when we have three really good outfielders and have to play for two spots. You have to get creative with it and just keep everybody going, but it’s a good problem to have.

“Someone else is gonna get hurt. I hate to say it, but it’s gonna happen. In the meantime, get them out there as often as possible keep them as sharp as possible.”

UP NEXT

Angels (LHP José Suarez, 0-1, 4.15) at Rangers (LHP Martín Pérez, 0-1, 6.75), 11:35 a.m. Sunday, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

20 minutes ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“There were a few times that I wasn’t paying attention because I couldn’t understand it,” Suarez said, though Del Campo. “So I felt kind of uncomfortable and not focused … Sometimes they talk too fast and we don’t get it. We’re coming from different parts of Latin America. This way we understand 100 percent.”

In hindsight, this is yet another reason to show why Suarez struggled so badly when he first came up. He was put in a terrible spot, so credit to him for fighting through it and turning it around last season.

1 minute ago, WicketMaiden said:

I'm flabbergasted that they didn't think of this before. I assumed the coach or player was bi-lingual, otherwise what's the point of the mound visit? Draw pictures?

There's usually a player on the mound that speaks Spanish. 

9 hours ago, Lou said:

There's usually a player on the mound that speaks Spanish. 

Didn't Mike Scioscia become fluent in Spanish in part to better communicate with Fernando?   They really didn't need that while he was around.

11 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“There were a few times that I wasn’t paying attention because I couldn’t understand it,”

This cracks me up. 

Dude was up there nodding yes thinking "WTF is this dude even saying, oh, gotta nod again, hey, he said fastball, I know what that means, wonder what he wants me to do with the FB...  Shit, he's done talking I better say OK now."

Imagine Doug White explaining his Quantum physics stuff to Suarez..  Priceless.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Didn't Mike Scioscia become fluent in Spanish in part to better communicate with Fernando?   They really didn't need that while he was around.

This cracks me up. 

Dude was up there nodding yes thinking "WTF is this dude even saying, oh, gotta nod again, hey, he said fastball, I know what that means, wonder what he wants me to do with the FB...  Shit, he's done talking I better say OK now."

Imagine Doug White explaining his Quantum physics stuff to Suarez..  Priceless.

Yep on Scioscia.  And if Suarez didn't understand the words comin' out of his mouth then that's on him.  Our Japanese guy has a personal translator that sits in the fucking dugout.  A third of the guys on the team speak spanish only.  What the hell.  

15 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“I think he felt like that was the best thing to do at that point in time to win the game,” Minasian said on Saturday. “He’s manager. He’s been pretty good. He’s got a pretty good track record. I’ve got all the faith in the world that he’s gonna have good reasons behind everything he does. And he did, so I’m good.”

Maddon said he had heard from a handful of people in the time since he made the headline-grabbing move.

“My college roommate checked in,” Maddon said. “Some other guys from back home. A lot of my buddies checked in and they kind of liked it.”

Yah.  That's BS media speak for 'WTF was that'.  Fly on the wall heard 'what was that?  what's he doing? I don't know'

And I guess we just found out that @cals was Joe's college roommate.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Yep on Scioscia.  And if Suarez didn't understand the words comin' out of his mouth then that's on him.  Our Japanese guy has a personal translator that sits in the fucking dugout.  A third of the guys on the team speak spanish only.  What the hell.  

Absolutely it was on him, still strikes me as funny. 

One of the things Pedro always says was hugely beneficial for him was his learning to speak English, claimed it was a vital part of his development and allowed him not to ask questions and express his concerns without fear of embarrassment.  You'd have thought teams would have considered the flip side and invested more in interpreters.