• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Player vs Owner

Stradling

Pick a side- Player/Owner  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you side with

• Player
    • Owner

4 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

I like how golfers get paid. If they play good they get paid good. If they play mediocre golf they get paid a base stipend to cover their hotels and travel expenses. If they play bad, they lose their PGA card and must go back to qualifying school to earn it back before they can start playing in tournaments again. Losers go home. 

Baseball has a similar system. The exception is that players who play bad do not lose their right to play at the major league level, they are awarded a one year contract with the Angels. 

I'm 50/50, but when it comes to these players entering age 31-32 asking for 7+ years over $33-$35M AAV then I throw the flag in favor of the owners. I understand the talent you're getting for the first few years but contracts need to be incentive based at that point.

Let's take Trout for example since he's big money at say $36M AAV. Granted he's worth every penny, but let's say he hit .240 with 20hr and 67RBI. His salary should be less than $36M at say $25M. 

It will never happen, but major contracts should be performance based on anything with an AAV of $30M or more. Let's say the owner offers a max contract of say 10yr/$400M. If the player can reach the certain type of numbers detailed in contract like .300BA, 40HR, 120RBI, etc. then he should make the $40M that season. If he falls short, then there should be a detailed document breaking down the salary numbers. Players never truly live up to their contract when it extends into their late 30's. They earn that those big contracts based off of their prime years and then in screws the team over financially. Just look at Albert Pujols...

I'm not opposed for big contracts. If you want to own a baseball team and be competitive then these risks need to be taken. The thing i'm saying is mandate contracts over $30M AAV and allow more club options in those contracts so players when they fall off the train (Pujols), don't screw a team financially. 

30 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Players never truly live up to their contract when it extends into their late 30's. They earn that those big contracts based off of their prime years and then in screws the team over financially. Just look at Albert Pujols...

I'm not opposed for big contracts. If you want to own a baseball team and be competitive then these risks need to be taken. The thing i'm saying is mandate contracts over $30M AAV and allow more club options in those contracts so players when they fall off the train (Pujols), don't screw a team financially. 

Pujols needs to get A-Rod’d just like Cozart needs to get Ellsbury’d. Open up two very important roster spots that can give younger guys some very valuable experience. In the bigger picture what in the hell will Pujols and Cozart really do to help us make a run at a championship next season. Cut your losses Eppler. Send them both to leisure world.  

Edited by Calzone 2

Here’s another overpaid bozo that makes me side with owners even more. 

Giancarlo Stanton Talks Stephen Strasburg, Gerrit Cole Possibly Joining Yankees

TIM DANIELSNOVEMBER 7, 2019

New York Yankees' Giancarlo Stanton stands in the dugout after hitting a solo home run against the Texas Rangers in the first inning of a baseball game in Arlington, Texas, Friday, Sept. 27, 2019. (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)
Tony Gutierrez/Associated Press

New York Yankees outfielder Giancarlo Stanton said a team "can never have too many" superstars, so he'd welcome free-agent starting pitchers Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg with open arms.   

Stanton told TMZ Sports he's a fan of both right-handed aces as the Yanks attempt to upgrade their roster after getting eliminated from the playoffs by the Houston Astros in the 2019 ALCS.

"You can never go wrong with Cole and Strasburg," he said, suggesting the club should try to sign both of the coveted targets. "... I'm pretty sure Gerrit grew up a Yankees fan, so he'd always like to do that. And, Stras, we debuted together, so he'd like that."

Edited by Calzone 2