• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The last 162 games...

Last night marked Shohei Ohtani's 162nd game, and I thought it'd be fun to see what he and other Angel hitters have done in their last 162 games. 

• Shohei Ohtani: .290/.358/.556/.914 with 30 doubles, 3 triples, 36 HR, 101 RBI, 16 SB, 57 BB, 160 K

• Mike Trout: .310/.468/.619/1.087 with 29 doubles, 2 triples, 46 HR, 110 RBI, 19 SB, 145 BB, 136 K

• Kole Calhoun: .236/.329/.467/.796 with 30 doubles, 2 triples, 35 HR, 87 RBI, 5 SB, 80 BB, 167 K

• Justin Upton: .258/.344/.463/.807 with 20 doubles, 1 triple, 34 HR, 93 RBI, 9 SB, 72 BB, 200 K

• Albert Pujols: .243/.300/.419/.719 with 26 doubles, 27 HR, 102 RBI, 1 SB, 51 BB, 84 K

• Andrelton Simmons: .283/.316/.402/.717 with 30 doubles, 3 triples, 13 HR, 77 RBI, 13 SB, 28 BB, 56 K

• David Fletcher: .283/.337/.390/.726 with 38 doubles, 4 triples, 6 HR, 55 RBI, 8 SB, 48 BB, 59 K

That's a pretty damn good offensive core, especially if La Stella returns next year and offers something similar to this year. I'm also not that worried about catcher given how good the above is.

Edited by totdprods

Some pretty interesting stuff.  I thought Kole’s strikeouts would have been significantly higher than 167 but then I realized he didn’t bat against lefties very often last year and earlier this year.

I had the opposite reaction when I saw Upton with 200 K’s, even though he missed a big chunk of games.  That was a little eye opening.

The slash line for Ohtani is better than I thought.  I can’t wait to watch Trout and Ohtani in the coming years.  Should be a great 1-2 punch to build a future around.

Also, here's a minor league edition, which is also nuts - MLB games were omitted:

• Ward: .325/.428/.571/.999 with 49 doubles, 34 HR, 106 RBI, 23 SB, 105 BB, 152 K
  • Thaiss: .279/.361/.572/.833 with 41 doubles, 8 triples, 24 HR, 100 RBI, 7 SB, 86 BB, 130 K
  • Rojas:  .295/.357/.557/.914 with 51 doubles, 6 triples, 35 HR, 128 RBI, 8 SB, 63 BB, 151 K
  • Walsh: .299/.392/.577/.968 with 51 doubles, 38 HR, 123 RBI, 5 SB, 83 BB, 190 K
  • Marsh: .265/.356/.378/.735 with 31 doubles, 8 triples, 9 HR, 75 RBI, 23 SB, 87 BB, 198 K
  • Adell: .318/.381/.539/.920 with 51 doubles, 8 triples, 29 HR, 112 RBI, 25 SB, 52 BB, 175 K 

Of note...I had to go all the way back, three years, to Adell's Arizona League games to get a full 162.

A lot of power, a lot of walks, a lot of strikeouts.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Wonderful numbers offensively, but in the end it resulted in a combined 81-80 between the second half of last year and this year to date and an overall run diff of i think +3?  They scored 796 runs in that span, Hou only scored 790.   This is a playoff team right now with pitching in my opinion. 

Agreed

I think we're gonna buy. Eppler is gonna get us an arm. 

It'll ease all of the pressure on Canning, Suarez, Barria. It will slide some arms into the bullpen for depth. It'll knock Harvey, Cahill, possibly Pena, Ramirez, and Tropeano all down a peg on the depth chart.

Getting even one mid-tier arm dominoes a lot of out pitching depth into more favorable position, and we have three infielders in AAA hitting with .900-1.000 OPS that can't even find at-bats up here.

Edited by totdprods

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

I think they are still up in the air, which is what bothers me a bit.  It should be obvious what this team can do by now given the help it needs.  But the hole may already be too big.  9 back of division 4.5 of WC with a lot of hurdles to jump.  It may not be worth the investment to them, though i hope they will try. 

Disclaimer, since they seem to be necessary... before anyone gets bent no rental, no overpays, no trading the farm... none of that stupid shit unless the price is right.. 

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think they are still up in the air, which is what bothers me a bit.  It should be obvious what this team can do by now given the help it needs.  But the hole may already be too big.  9 back of division 4.5 of WC with a lot of hurdles to jump.  It may not be worth the investment to them, though i hope they will try. 

Disclaimer, since they seem to be necessary... before anyone gets bent no rental, no overpays, no trading the farm... none of that stupid shit unless the price is right.. 

It'll either be a bargain basement rental like Roark or Buccholz that doesn't cost us much of anything on the prospect side, or it'll be the best arm with at least 2020 under control that they can get with redundant pieces pulled from a AAA infielder, A/A+ pitching, and then maybe R5-eligible Jahmai Jones, Brandon Marsh, or the Rookie-level OFs. There's enough there to get someone good without compromising the future.

An investment that helps next year still - when we should be in much better shape - or an investment that doesn't cost much this year but doesn't wave the white flag. Who knows, maybe a cheap rental arm and one of Harvey/Cahill shape up enough to close the gap. 

Our offense is great.

Edited by totdprods

What this team needs though would likely require an overpay.  Rentals are guys you think put you over the top and give you a shot this year.  There's some interesting names that have been thrown around which includes rentals (Bumgarner) and guys under club control at least through next season (Bauer, Boyd, Ray).  As is always the case teams in contention like the Yankees, Astros, Brewers and Phillies are being linked to some of the available pitchers.  Maybe once the dust settles a bit there's some deals to be had but teams could just as easily hold onto anyone under control through at least next year and ship them off later if they think they can get more.  

The Angels could probably top out an offer of Ward, Marsh, Jones, and Bradish and get a pretty decent arm without hurting the MLB team now or in the future.

It’s a package that comes with some risk for the acquiring team, but all they’d need is one to hit, another to be average, and it’d be a win for them too.

Edited by totdprods

31 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It'll ease all of the pressure on Canning, Suarez, Barria. It will slide some arms into the bullpen for depth. It'll knock Harvey, Cahill, possibly Pena, Ramirez, and Tropeano all down a peg on the depth chart.

Getting even one mid-tier arm dominoes a lot of out pitching depth into more favorable position, and we have three infielders in AAA hitting with .900-1.000 OPS that can't even find at-bats up here.

Hope you’re right ... I think they’ll stick with Cahill and Harvey with fingers crossed ? 

37 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This team needs an arm bad. We lost Skaggs (RIP) and nobody else can go 6 innings anymore, let alone 5 (I'm looking at you Heaney). 

I was hoping Andrew Heaney would turn the corner this year, but unfortunately he hasn't and is showing that he's nothing more than a back end of the rotation guy. 

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

This team needs an arm bad. We lost Skaggs (RIP) and nobody else can go 6 innings anymore, let alone 5 (I'm looking at you Heaney). 

I was hoping Andrew Heaney would turn the corner this year, but unfortunately he hasn't and is showing that he's nothing more than a back end of the rotation guy. 

I think Heaney will come around. To me, he looks like he's currently in that weird sophomoric phase where he's learning how to do more with his stuff (dramatic hike in K9) but yet to put it together - 2018 was a good year for him. 

Think how Lackey and Weaver were great, then faltered a bit for a year or two, and then everything clicked. Heaney's in that in-between. Skaggs, sadly, was just starting to emerge from it.

It's another reason why I think counting on Canning, Barria, and Suarez as steady back-rotation guys next year is a little risky. They might take a step back for 2020-2021 before getting in a groove come 2021-2022.

We really need an arm, probably two. I'd love to see Eppler trade a few pieces now for one with control, and sign another in winter.

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We need two arms tbh. One to replace Skaggs (RIP) and a 1-2 guy to take pressure off Ohtani next year.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Last night marked Shohei Ohtani's 162nd game, and I thought it'd be fun to see what he and other Angel hitters have done in their last 162 games. 

• Shohei Ohtani: .290/.358/.556/.914 with 30 doubles, 3 triples, 36 HR, 101 RBI, 16 SB, 57 BB, 160 K

• Mike Trout: .310/.468/.619/1.087 with 29 doubles, 2 triples, 46 HR, 110 RBI, 19 SB, 145 BB, 136 K

• Kole Calhoun: .236/.329/.467/.796 with 30 doubles, 2 triples, 35 HR, 87 RBI, 5 SB, 80 BB, 167 K

• Justin Upton: .258/.344/.463/.807 with 20 doubles, 1 triple, 34 HR, 93 RBI, 9 SB, 72 BB, 200 K

• Albert Pujols: .243/.300/.419/.719 with 26 doubles, 27 HR, 102 RBI, 1 SB, 51 BB, 84 K

• Andrelton Simmons: .283/.316/.402/.717 with 30 doubles, 3 triples, 13 HR, 77 RBI, 13 SB, 28 BB, 56 K

• David Fletcher: .283/.337/.390/.726 with 38 doubles, 4 triples, 6 HR, 55 RBI, 8 SB, 48 BB, 59 K

That's a pretty damn good offensive core, especially if La Stella returns next year and offers something similar to this year. I'm also not that worried about catcher given how good the above is.

You are assuming  every performs like this year.  La Stella was having a career year.  Pujols is having his best year in half a decade.  Fletcher is having a career year (albeit a very short career) and Calhoun is having the best year in last four years.  In fact Eppler should be fired if Cakhoun is in the team next year.

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

You are assuming  every performs like this year.  La Stella was having a career year.  Pujols is having his best year in half a decade.  Fletcher is having a career year (albeit a very short career) and Calhoun is having the best year in last four years.  In fact Eppler should be fired if Cakhoun is in the team next year.

Are you saying the most recent 162 games isn't one of the best predictors for the next 162?

None of these lines are really that over-the-top...

Just now, totdprods said:

Are you saying the most recent 162 games isn't one of the best predictors for the next 162?

None of these lines are really that over-the-top...

That's exactly what I am saying.  If it was the Angel's would have won the World Series in 2003 as well.  

Altuve would have made the All Star Team.

La Stelka would have been a mediocre pitch hitter.

Pujols OPS would be sub 700 LIKE IT WAS THE LAST THREE YEARS.

Trout is consistent...if he doesnt get injured.  I believe Ohtani is consistent.  Upton I right around his norm.  Calhoun is way above his norm for the last three years(why wasnt the last three years a good predictor ) Simmons is at his norm.  Fletcher could be, and I actually thing Tengifro will get better.

28 minutes ago, stormngt said:

That's exactly what I am saying.  If it was the Angel's would have won the World Series in 2003 as well.  

Altuve would have made the All Star Team.

La Stelka would have been a mediocre pitch hitter.

Pujols OPS would be sub 700 LIKE IT WAS THE LAST THREE YEARS.

Trout is consistent...if he doesnt get injured.  I believe Ohtani is consistent.  Upton I right around his norm.  Calhoun is way above his norm for the last three years(why wasnt the last three years a good predictor ) Simmons is at his norm.  Fletcher could be, and I actually thing Tengifro will get better.

What? Since when does the OPS of 7 dudes equal W/L or championships? What are you talking about?
That post didn't have a single insinuation on wins, losses, playoff aspirations, team competitiveness. 

This is the counting stats of our offensive core over the last 162 games. No more, no less.
For most of these players, these numbers are primarily 2nd half of 2018, 1st half of 2019 - two separate seasons, similar results in each season, not '02 vs.'03. It's a half season from each.

For the most part, I don't see anything too dramatically off for any of those seven. Trout's on-par, Ohtani has basically matched his '18 campaign, Upton's nearly identical btoh this year and last and right in line with his career. 
Kole's performance this year is almost identical to what he posted when he came back last summer with a new swing. He was in a downward spiral years before that - he corrected it, and the sample size is more than a season's worth now to argue that - consistent since he returned no matter how you slice the data. Pujols has a whopping .719 OPS in his last 162...so, not really far from what he's done the last three years - not getting your point there. Simmons has been right in line with his production as an Angel. La Stella wasn't included. Too weird. 

What point are you arguing, exactly? No point was made.

Edited by totdprods

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

What? Since when does the OPS of 7 dudes equal W/L or championships? What are you talking about?
That post didn't have a single insinuation on wins, losses, playoff aspirations, team competitiveness. 

This is the counting stats of our offensive core over the last 162 games. No more, no less.
For most of these players, these numbers are primarily 2nd half of 2018, 1st half of 2019 - two separate seasons, similar results in each season, not '02 vs.'03. It's a half season from each.

For the most part, I don't see anything too dramatically off for any of those seven. Trout's on-par, Ohtani has basically matched his '18 campaign, Upton's nearly identical btoh this year and last and right in line with his career. 
Kole's performance this year is almost identical to what he posted when he came back last summer with a new swing. He was in a downward spiral years before that - he corrected it, and the sample size is more than a season's worth now to argue that - consistent since he returned no matter how you slice the data. Pujols has a whopping .719 OPS in his last 162...so, not really far from what he's done the last three years - not getting your point there. Simmons has been right in line with his production as an Angel. La Stella wasn't included. Too weird. 

What point are you arguing, exactly? No point was made.

If you think players perform the same tear to year than God Bless you.

I know they dont!