• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout elected to another All-Star Game, hopes Tommy La Stella joins him

ANAHEIM — Mike Trout is still hoping he’ll have a teammate join him at the All-Star Game.

Although Tommy La Stella came up short in the voting for the starters when results were released on Thursday, he still has a shot to make it as a reserve. A vote from the players will determine the reserves, while the commissioner’s office will also be able to select a few players to fill out the roster.

“He’s got to be an All-Star,” said Trout, who was elected as a starter for the seventh time, his eighth time overall earning a spot on the team. “He’s having a career year. He obviously believes in himself and we believe in him as a team. He just comes in every day and puts in work and it’s showing.”

La Stella was the leading vote-getter among American League second basemen in the “primary” process, earning a spot in the final election along with DJ LeMahieu of the New York Yankees and José Altuve of the Houston Astros.

LeMahieu won the starting spot with 38 percent of the votes. Altuve finished second with 31.5 percent, and La Stella totaled 30.5 percent.

LeMahieu came into Thursday hitting .336 with 12 homers and a .906 OPS. La Stella was hitting .296 with 16 homers and an .849 OPS. Altuve, who has been injured for much of the first half, was hitting .251 with 10 homers and an .801 OPS.

The players have already cast their votes. The results will be announced on Sunday.

“It’d be great,” La Stella said. “I’m sure it will shake out how it’s supposed to.”

While La Stella would be one of the more improbable All-Stars in recent years, Trout is one of the most automatic.

He extended his own Angels record by being selected to an eighth All-Star Game, and he broke Rod Carew’s club record by being elected by the fans for the seventh time.

Trout has won the All-Star MVP twice. He is 7 for 15 with two homers in the All-Star Game, having played in six. He was voted in for the 2017 game but couldn’t play because of a thumb injury.

Trout led all candidates in voting during the final election, even though he came up just behind Cody Bellinger and Christian Yelich in the primary round.

“It makes you feel good,” Trout said. “You put in all the hard work. You play to win but you also play for all the fans coming to the ballpark to enjoy a baseball game. Enjoy the passion you have for the game. To be voted in and be the highest vote-getter, it means a lot to me.”

Certainly, the fans would also like to see Trout compete in the Home Run Derby, but Trout said he’s already declined the invitation, as he has every year.

“It’s something I’ll maybe eventually do,” Trout said. “I like going there, spending time with my family and watching other guys hit. It’s just how I am.”

Trout did campaign for teammate Shohei Ohtani to get a spot in the Derby, though. Ohtani said he would be interested in doing it, but he hasn’t been invited. If an invitation comes, Ohtani would then see if the Angels’ front office and medical department would allow him to participate.

“I think he would probably win,” Trout said. “He’s got some of the best power in the league. Obviously, this year is different because he’s coming off Tommy John. I want him to do it. I’m sure he wants to do it. I don’t know how our trainers might like that.”

ALSO

Pitcher Keynan Middleton is scheduled to face hitters on Friday, for the first time in his rehab from Tommy John surgery. General Manager Billy Eppler said earlier this week that Middleton could be ready to be activated about three weeks after that. …

The Angels optioned pitcher Jaime Barría to create a roster spot for Andrelton Simmons, who was activated from the injured list. The Angels, who currently have four starters on the roster, will need another starter by Monday.

UP NEXT

Angels (opener TBD, followed by RHP Félix Peña, 5-2, 4.68) vs. A’s (RHP Mike Fiers, 7-3, 4.20), Friday, 7:07 p.m., Fox Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article