• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels plan to find time for Luis Rengifo, even after Andrelton Simmons returns

ANAHEIM — Luís Rengifo has apparently worked his way into more playing time, even after Andrelton Simmons returns.

With Simmons’ return to the lineup coming any day, the Angels designated Wilfredo Tovar for assignment and kept Rengifo. Tovar was removed to make room for one of the two pitchers added, Trevor Cahill and Jaime Barría.

After Simmons returns, most of the infield playing time figures to go to him, Tommy La Stella and David Fletcher. Manager Brad Ausmus said there’s enough playing time to justify keeping Rengifo in the majors, instead of sending him to play every day at Triple-A.

“We’ve been pushing Fletcher and La Stella to their limits in terms of playing,” Ausmus said. “Part of me feels like giving them a day here or there would help them long-term to keep them strong and healthy. If there’s some type of rotation, and not a strict rotation, but one where we can play them at three positions and occasionally give Simba a day off when he gets back. I think it’s very doable.”

Last week in Toronto, Ausmus suggested that Rengifo was better served playing regularly in the minors than sitting on the bench in the majors. Since then, however, Rengifo has heated up, going 9 for 26 (.346) in his last seven games, with two home runs.

Simmons could be activated as soon as Thursday. After playing seven innings in a Class-A game on Tuesday, he faced live pitching in a workout on Wednesday at Angel Stadium.

CAHILL TO  BULLPEN

Trevor Cahill, who had a 7.18 ERA as a starter, was activated from the injured list as a reliever. He had been a successful reliever in 2016 with the Chicago Cubs.

“I’m just here to pitch,” Cahill said. “It wasn’t going great as a starter, so we might as well try something different.”

Ausmus said Cahill had a “great” attitude about the move to the bullpen, and is “ready for anything.”

OHTANI MILESTONE

Shohei Ohtani threw 40 pitches off a mound on Wednesday, his first time doing so since undergoing Tommy John surgery. He threw just 10 of them with the catcher squatting. He said he was throwing at about 50 percent effort.

“It felt really comfortable,” Ohtani said through his interpreter. “It felt good to get on there again.”

Ohtani is not pitching this season, but he said so far his rehab has gone according to schedule. General Manager Billy Eppler said last month that Ohtani won’t be throwing at an intensity that would impact his availability as a hitter until September, if then.

ALSO

JC Ramírez has agreed to extend his rehab assignment, which was set to expire this week. Ramírez is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, which means he could extend his rehab assignment beyond the normal 30 days, Ausmus said. Although Ramírez has allowed 17 runs in 17 innings so far in five rehab outings, Ausmus said they haven’t gotten to the point of evaluating the quality of his pitches. The reports have still been health related. …

Keynan Middleton, who is also rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, is “pretty close” to being able to face hitters. After he does that, it will be about three weeks before he is activated, Eppler said. …

The Angels optioned pitcher Jake Jewell, clearing a roster spot for one of the two pitchers they added.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Griffin Canning, 2-4, 3.88) vs. A’s (RHP Tanner Anderson,  0-2, 4.20), Thursday, 7:07 p.m., Fox Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I guess this also means Bour will be optioned to SLC when Simba is activated tomorrow and La Stella will see some time at first base. 

Is that the likely plan now?

Looks like it to me, unless they plan on DFAing Goodwin and using Fletcher as the 4th outfielder, or unless they intend to shorten the bullpen by one pitcher, neither of which seem likely.

4 hours ago, RBM said:

I guess this also means Bour will be optioned to SLC when Simba is activated tomorrow and La Stella will see some time at first base. 

Is that the likely plan now?

No. A pitcher will go down for Simba, I assume. Probably Barría. Then when they need another starter (Monday?) they’ll call up Suarez and send down Bard (or whoever has taken his spot by then).

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

45 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The 41-57 in 2018 shows though that Rengifo is still learning the art of SBs. 

Minor league pitching/catching duos are much easier to run on. Couple that with less emphasis on the pure steal because of Metrics and you are not going to see Rengifo with a green light. 

18 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Minor league pitching/catching duos are much easier to run on. Couple that with less emphasis on the pure steal because of Metrics and you are not going to see Rengifo with a green light. 

First part is true, which was the intent of my post, to say that with only a 70+% success rate in the minors, it shows that he is still learning how to steal bases at a successful rate.

The second part is also true, that three outcomes amongst other things has lessened the reliance on SBs.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

First part is true, which was the intent of my post, to say that with only a 70+% success rate in the minors, it shows that he is still learning how to steal bases at a successful rate.

The second part is also true, that three outcomes amongst other things has lessened the reliance on SBs.

I really don't enjoy three outcome baseball. It is stripping away the skills it takes to pitch, hit, field and run. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

My question is how?  The only way this works is if a trade is made involving one of the current crop of incumbents.   
and i dont mean short term roster shuffling... im talking long term.. who gets bumped?

It’s just going to be what we’ve seen all year, a merry go round of pitchers from SLC.  As for how will they get Rengifo more playing time I’m thinking Fletch might be seeing some right field and La Stella some first base. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It’s just going to be what we’ve seen all year, a merry go round of pitchers from SLC.  As for how will they get Rengifo more playing time I’m thinking Fletch might be seeing some right field and La Stella some first base. 

Im sure you right its  the only thing that seems logical but im not sure it makes sense.  I would have agreed a month ago but now?  Bour is back to getting it done at least for now and Pujols will still get his days, and the OF is 4 strong so it just seems like it would be forced and lose a roster spot for the SLC shuttle. 

31 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I really don't enjoy three outcome baseball. It is stripping away the skills it takes to pitch, hit, field and run. 

Exactly, MLB is becoming like Stratomatic Baseball was back in our day.    I miss the SB attempts, the running 1st to 3rd on singles and 1st to home on doubles, starting pitchers going into the 7th inning, and generally the tight games with good pitching, defense, and timely hitting.   Even Trout doesn't try to steal nearly as often these days.  

1 hour ago, floplag said:

My question is how?  The only way this works is if a trade is made involving one of the current crop of incumbents.   
and i dont mean short term roster shuffling... im talking long term.. who gets bumped?

I think they probably feel like La Stella and Fletcher have basically gotten zero days off, and Simmons may need a day off here and there, at least initially. If they give each one day off a week, that's 3 days a week for Rengifo. They could also rest Simmons late in blowouts.

I would have figured that Rengifo was better off playing every day at AAA and keeping Tovar to play 2 times a week in the majors, but I guess they feel like Rengifo helps the team (and develops) even if he's playing a little in the majors. We'll see.

I am pretty sure this was not the plan a week ago,  but Rengifo had a nice week.

Also, Fletcher has come back to earth. He's got a .550 OPS over his last 67 PAs. Maybe they think all three (La Stella, Fletcher and Rengifo) will be better with some rest. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Exactly, MLB is becoming like Stratomatic Baseball was back in our day.    I miss the SB attempts, the running 1st to 3rd on singles and 1st to home on doubles, starting pitchers going into the 7th inning, and generally the tight games with good pitching, defense, and timely hitting.   Even Trout doesn't try to steal nearly as often these days.  

i could not agree with this more... ive called it live action strat-o-matic more than once.  its why games are longer and less exciting.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think they probably feel like La Stella and Fletcher have basically gotten zero days off, and Simmons may need a day off here and there, at least initially. If they give each one day off a week, that's 3 days a week for Rengifo. They could also rest Simmons late in blowouts.

I would have figured that Rengifo was better off playing every day at AAA and keeping Tovar to play 2 times a week in the majors, but I guess they feel like Rengifo helps the team (and develops) even if he's playing a little in the majors. We'll see.

I am pretty sure this was not the plan a week ago,  but Rengifo had a nice week.

Also, Fletcher has come back to earth. He's got a .550 OPS over his last 67 PAs. Maybe they think all three (La Stella, Fletcher and Rengifo) will be better with some rest. 

Sounds about right, perhaps they see Rengifo more is the long term starter and Fletcher as a util, ... makes sense anyway