• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scandalous Family Secrets

I just thought of another story like the one above.

My dad's cousin found out he had a daughter last year.  The girl's mother called [my dad's aunt] 52 years ago and said he got her daughter pregnant.  My dad's aunt hung up on the other mom, thinking it was a prank or something.  After all, her son was far too prim and proper to be a dad in high school. 

One of those home DNA kits ratted him out to his wife, who thought he was a virgin before her.

My father (who passed away January 2000) was always elusive about the history of his side of the family. I know a great deal about my mother's side (the Canadian side of the family), but only what my father told me about his side. Family members on my father's side wanted him to write down what he remembered about the family's history. When he complained that this took too much effort, they bought him a tape recorder to dictate it. The tape was never made. I have often wondered what he was ducking, although I have never tried to research it.

From what I have been told, on my father's side I am descended from Confederate soldiers and slave owners. For a long time we had a patchwork quilt in our garage that was buried on the grounds of a family home northwest of Atlanta to keep Sherman's troops from taking it during their march to the sea. One story is that Confederate troops were fed from the porch of that house, which I have stayed in. There were also some bootleggers in the family during prohibition. My family was heavily involved in aviation, with both my grandfather and his brother working for Pitcairn Aviation, one of the precursor companies to the original Eastern Air Lines. My father's uncle had a letter of appreciation from Eddie Rickenbacker, who was then president of Eastern, framed on his living room wall. The letter, on Eastern stationery, thanked him for his contributions to the birth and success of the airline - which would later be killed by Frank Lorenzo. The uncle and two other brothers are in the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame. My uncle was a former FAA flight crew inspector and before that a B-24 copilot, flying the aircraft named Silver Streak in multiple bombing missions over Germany during WW II. He passed away last year at age 97. My cousin is a retired Delta captain, flying with them after serving in the Air Force. My father was electric shop chief for many years in the Florida Air National Guard after his WW II service.

My father had quite a few pictures from his time serving during World War II. One photo was of a woman in a military uniform, sitting on a wall with her skirt pulled up above her knees (which just wasn't done back then). This was long before he and my mother met, so it wasn't an affair situation,  but he never mentioned this woman or who she was.