• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Trabek, R.I.P.

Sorry but I laughed at his contract joke. 

What isn't a joke is pancreatic cancer and less so stage 4. There is about a 3% five year survival rate. He is probably going to die before the summer is half over, if not sooner.

I grew up with Alex Trabek hosting games shows. Sorry to hear that is about to come to an end.

Yeah, really sucks to hear about this. I forget where (maybe Nerdist?), but I heard him do a long form interview on a podcast a couple years ago. Really a fascinating dude. I wish him and his family well in the fight they have ahead of them.

18 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

He’s a guy many haven’t met but still feel like he’s a part of their family. 

My grandfather got diagnosed with this in 2011 and lived for 9 months after the diagnosis. 

Sorry to hear that about your grandfather. And apologies if I’m getting too personal here, but what was that experience like for him and the family? I’m only asking because it’s something (meaning some sort of terminal diagnosis) that I don’t have any experience dealing with in my own family, but that I know I will have to deal with at some point.

11 hours ago, Blarg said:

Sorry but I laughed at his contract joke. 

What isn't a joke is pancreatic cancer and less so stage 4. There is about a 3% five year survival rate. He is probably going to die before the summer is half over, if not sooner.

I grew up with Alex Trabek hosting games shows. Sorry to hear that is about to come to an end.

Actually it's 9%. Still not great, but is slowly on the rise.

http://pancan.org 

The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the best resource for those facing this cancer. They're located in Manhattan Beach.

9 hours ago, m0nkey said:

He’s a guy many haven’t met but still feel like he’s a part of their family. 

My grandfather got diagnosed with this in 2011 and lived for 9 months after the diagnosis. 

Sorry to hear about that.  It's a brutal disease for sure. 

Alex is an institution that many of us have grown up with. Hearing his soothing voice every night on our television is a comfort to many. I wish him well. 

My uncle had Pancreatic cancer about 5 years ago. Had the surgery, radiation, and chemo, and actually outlived his projected life expectancy by over a year. He died from an embolism after falling and hitting his head on his front steps coming home from a chemo treatment. He was holding his own, and should have lived longer. Such a great guy, it still bothers me how it ended.  

9 hours ago, Don said:

Sorry to hear that about your grandfather. And apologies if I’m getting too personal here, but what was that experience like for him and the family? I’m only asking because it’s something (meaning some sort of terminal diagnosis) that I don’t have any experience dealing with in my own family, but that I know I will have to deal with at some point.

I was in still in college and didn't spend as much time as I would have liked (unfortunately) so I don't have the entire experience.  It's obviously tough mentally and emotionally, but he was a fighter and other than the weight loss you wouldn't have known.  My mom  (doesn't work) and brother (during his gap year from undergrad to med school) were very involved in taking him to chemo and appointments.  Seems as though they went everyday, which is something I really admire looking back on it.

It is a killer.

Bladder cancer is diagnosed about 80,000 people in the US yearly with a mortality of about 17,000. 

Pancreatic cancer around 56,000 with a mortality rate of 45,000. That's all stages of that cancer wiping out 80% of those diagnosed. That is the highest mortality rate of any cancer. 

I used to work at the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. It's an incredible organization.  Amazing leadership. Really committed staff. passionate and dedicated volunteers, and some of the staff there have lost loved ones to pc.  The founder and the CEO each lost a parent.  The organization was started 20 years ago because they were angry nothing was being done.  They continue to make strides - saw some studies coming out last week about new treatments. 

Like @Blarg said - it's a killer.  But strides are being made every day to increase the chances for longer survival.

from what i understand, there are two forms of pancreatic cancer. in the first one, it's a slow moving cancer that will eventually kill you, but it doesn't happen quickly. i have an uncle with this form and he's had it for about 3 years. he won't last much longer and is showing signs that he's taken a downhill turn.

the second form is terribly deadly. from what i've read, there aren't many symptoms so by the time it's diagnosed, it's already too late to treat it. One of my friends at church had it and she was gone inside of 8 weeks.

i hope trebek has the first one, not the second. God bless him in his fight.

• 1 year later...

Alex Trebek, Longtime Host of ‘Jeopardy,’ Dies at 80
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/alex-trebek-longtime-host-jeopardy-173213881.html

Alex Trebek, the beloved host of gameshow "Jeopardy" since its 1984 debut in syndication, has died of pancreatic cancer. He was 80. The official "Jeopardy!" Tw...