• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fletcher versus Ward

Revad

Ward needs to start at AAA. He isn't ready for prime time yet. His bat and glove said so. But he has time.

Heck, he wouldnt have been anything but a Sept call-up if Cozart hadnt gotten injured and the Angels hadnt fallen out of playoff contention by mid July. He might not have even been a call-up, if we remained in contention. We would probably have stuck with Valbuena over his inexperience.

7 hours ago, HaloNArizona said:

Ward Starts in AAA

La Stella starts against RHP

Fletch starts against LHP

I'm not seeing it as a straight platoon, as others have pointed out La Stella to this point has been more of a part-time player/pinch hitter.  Assuming Cozart plays second, I think Fletcher gets at least half the starts at third and also spells Cozart (who does seem to miss a lot of time) as well.

I like both of them.  But I pick Fletcher.  A lot more pitchers throwing four seamers up in the zone for an out pitch. That is Ward's weakness and it will not take long for pitching staff to figure that out (probably already have) and he will be exploited quickly. I hope he improves on hitting high heat and we can see them both play.

I think this is a open competition, between LaStella, Ward, Fletcher, and Rengifo for two spots. 

LaStella has an edge on one because of his major league experience. Fletcher is definitely leading for the other.

But if Ward or Rengifo dominate in ST while Fletcher or LaStella struggle, it will be a much harder choice.

That being said, I think Cozart gets 100 starts at 2nd, a10-15 at third and a 10-15 few at short.

Ward may not open as the starting 3B but he’ll start 90-100 games there. 

Fletcher will start 45-55 at both 2nd and 3rd and LaStella gets remainder 10-15 at each spot, and maybe a few in the OF.

Don't think Ward or Rengifo make the team out of ST.  Think we need to see them prove themselves further in AAA.  Fletcher deserves a spot for his outstanding defense.  His bat lacks, but is still better than what we got out of Kinsler, Valbuena, and Marte, ok, Pujols also, last season.  Just seems if we can get back to at least 0 WAR at 1B, 2B, 3B, C, and RF, our Offense would be way ahead of last year.  

LaStella get's the first shot as the utility guy.  I would move Fletcher to 3B.  He looked pretty soldid there.  Fletcher is actually better at 2B than 3B, but I think Cozart has an easier time away from the Hot Corner.  I do hope Ward and Rengifo tear it up at Salt Lake and force some moves at the Major League level.  I'd like to see Ward's power in the middle of the lineup as well as Rengifo's speed at the top.  

I think Ward and Fletcher have an equal chance to make the team out of spring.  Fletcher is the safe choice but I think Ward could easily win the job if he comes in showing that he's made some adjustments and is ready to be a major leaguer.  That wasn't clear up his previous call up.  Rengifo realistically has no shot right now.