• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels' Barria is ready to face new challenges in Spring Training

Chuck

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Heaney's actually pretty solid when he's healthy and on a roll. He's a solid mid-rotation starter. Personally, I think the one we'll miss is Meyer. He was really looking good before the injury. He dialed down his triple digit heat to 96 and was hitting his spots. Great slider and a fully developed change up. That kid might have been atop the rotation soon.

Now, I think he's destined for relief. What could've been...

Maybe still potentially a dominant late innings guy?   Those are as truly important as ever.   

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maybe still potentially a dominant late innings guy?   Those are as truly important as ever.   

He will have to be in 2019, he will likely have zero innings pitched in 2018 so they will have to work him back out of the 'pen. That is why he may ultimately be destined for the high-leverage relief role long-term now.

Yeah, starts in AAA and gets maybe 5-10 starts this year before a regular gig next year. He's probably #9 on the rotation depth chart, but several pitchers will likely get hurt and I think Barria will just work his way in with strong pitching.

@Scotty@AW, I agree re: Meyer. Sad, really. But he could make a great closer.

4 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

It can be surprising how slow of a hook Scioscia has. We can have a veteran with an ERA over 5.00 and a 22 year old in AAA with an ERA under 3.00 and they'll still roll with the vet.

I think Barria will be rotating as the 6th starter (along with Tropeano and Bridwell) until July or August. Then he'll firmly establish himself as a top 5 starter on this team.

Well if the pitcher with 3.0 is in AAA it means two things:

1.  Scioscia can't go with the younger pitcher because he isn't on the 25 man roster.   Eppler, not Scioscia,  decides who is on the 25 man roster. 

2.  3.0 era in AAA does not equate 3.0 ERA in MLB.

by barria's own words we can suss out what the plan is for him this year, and that is "to continue developing his pitches". in general, that's not going to be at the major league level. they're going to give him a good long taste of major league spring training, then he'll be placed in the minor leagues, work on his craft, and be available for emergency call up.